1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

32GB Flash Memory in latest mp4 players not in laptops, why?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Specsaver, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Specsaver New Member

Thanks Received:
    And I still wonder where are the 32GB modules for laptops? Hard-drive failure is the most irritating thing to happen when you use a laptop. Why does it take so long to implement these into laptops?
    The modules were announced over a year ago and I have not seen a single laptop that would make use of them...
    But look - mp3 manufacturers like Creative Labs make a good use of 32GB already:
    [​IMG]
    Will laptop makers come along?

2. Grimskull New Member

Thanks Received:
    its down to the OS. a 32-bit operating system can only see 3.25-3.5GB of RAM.

3. MadCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    We're not talking about RAM, we're talking about flash memory. I think there are some small companies making laptops with them already, but I think the biggest problem is cost.

4. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    ssd's?

5. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you talking to ssd? those things are 4 times (sometimes even more) expensive not to mention that the ssd have the same handicap that flash drives have and that is the 1000s times writing on a bit

6. Specsaver New Member

Thanks Received:
    okay, I see... they are not as fast when you write data on them... But 1000x? Is this right?
    Does it mean writing data to hard-disk based mp3 player is 1000x faster then writing to flash player? I had Lyra mp3 player, it was flash and it was not slow.

7. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    Bollocks.
    Modern flash chips do millions of rewrites. On top of physical longevity the firmware's of the drives are programmed to spread data evenly so that no cell get's constant hammering.

8. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    For some MP3 player this works yes. However when you put it in a PC the drive gets used a lot more, think of the swap file for example.