1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

360 gamepad performance V Mouse Performance in PC games.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MatTheCat, Apr 25, 2010.

1. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have noticed that in a great many console ports, if I opt to play with the 360 gamepad, then the game runs super smooth, regardless of how fast I spin around etc. However should I opt to control the same game with my mouse, then I get all kinds of jitters and stutters.

Anyone any ideas?

2. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    a Mouse completely wins.

Why do you think we have been separated between games and multi-player.

We just completely decimate controllers and there analog sticks.

Why do you think xbox 360's have aim and movement assist. With almost every other console.

We don't even need assists, eventually we grow completely unearthly hand to eye coordination with a mouse to monitor aim. Then we pump up the sensitivity and you can do almost anything like take on 3-5 360 players at 1 time and survive.

Its a fact. Mouse is superior and ive had the argument about 360 players boosting sensitivity to 10, but frankly its so loose spinning and from observation in my the back of my head I would decimate them so fast it wouldn't even be funny haahahahaa.

****Answer**** To answer your question, its the way controller analog moves, it could move fast but it will always stay at a constant level and speed when moving across the screen, but with a mouse you have much more variables and movements which cause a video card streaming texture to stutter because of low memory available, Its like increasing the FOV in a shooter, your fps will lower when you increase it to 80 or higher because your video card renders more of the map you see.

Or it could be that its just a port that wasnt really utilized with mouse in-puts in its code, and is used to 360 movement and relax-ment, some ports that come to PC barly hold up because they really were not designed for this kind of interface.

3. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    No he's saying why does a game run better using a controller than a mouse. Read before spewing.

4. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe the last bit of what you said has some truth in it.....but with my PC, I am easily maxing any console port and actually most PC games out to 60FPS (V-sync on).

In the games I am playing when I noticed a super gliding smoothness with gamepad, but kitters and stutters with mouse, loss of frames or graphics card limitations are not the issues.

5. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    That's funny you think a mouse is superior when I use a ps3 controller with motionjoy and consistently beat the crap out of people with M&K. I'll say it so it makes sense to people who swear by mouse and keyboard and i can even quote you so it's very clear.

"eventually we grow completely unearthly hand to eye coordination with a controller to monitor aim. Then we pump up the sensitivity and you can do almost anything"

However I do find the xbox controller lacking. It has no low sensitivity zone and it moves oddly to me, also it has aim assist. The ps3controller has an extremely sensitive low motion zone that allows me so much more aim control it's not even comparable IMO.

FYI your post is basically spam and not at all on topic.

I would try enabling mouse smoothing in the games, or turning vsync either on or off, depending on the game.
    sometimes you really need it due to the games mouse control.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  6. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    What mouse is it? Is it a logitech and have you installed any drivers for it?

7. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you on the 360 control pad. Whenever anyone asks on here which gamepad they should get, everyone instantly recommends the 360 gamepad.....but, despite the in-built support for them in many games, they really are quite clumsy mofos.

Yeah, its a Logitech MX1000.

Damn Setpoint.....I have disabled it and noticed a marked improvement!

8. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    thats very weird... I would say its a problem with the game, but if it is happening in multiple games then the only real common denominator is your mouse and its drivers.

9. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not every game. Only games that are 360 ports with in-built gamepad support.

10. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Deadspace had a similar issue which was linked to vsync being on.

11. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    But V-sync is a MUST!

Otherwise you get screen tearing, no matter how many frames you get.

12. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't bother me much tbh.

13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the MX1000 is known as a bad gaming mouse, it powers down into an idle state way too quickly and takes a moment to wake up from it, so it feels like stuttering.

MatTheCat says thanks.
  14. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    But when I am gaming, the mouse is not normally ever idle.

15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    The point is its known to suck for gamers. It idles within a few seconds of not moving iirc, which is rather common in just about any task... you stop to type, or aim a crosshair at a corner and wait... etc

3Hyuuuga says thanks.
  16. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    You are absolutely correct.

Just tested out a cheapo sub-£6 wired mouse against the MX1000.......and the cheapo mouse was a hell of a lot smoother.

Crapbags.....need a new mouse now!

17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    G7 was their gaming cordless model, but my batteries went to shit after a year or so, so i moved onto my G500.

3 thumb buttons is win :D

18. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I should mention, that it seems that mouse lag/stuttering is a very common problem with 'console ports'. In games that are not console ports, or where the console version is infact a PC port (i.e. Risen), the mouse runs smooth as a baby's arse.

I hate to say it but....LAME CONSOLE PORT(s)!!!

19. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    LOL, simple answer. DPI. Your mouse 'moves' faster then the control pad does. So with a pad you get less horizontal-tearing.

car games, sports titles = gamepad FTW

1st person shooters, real time strategy = mouse & keyboard FTW

3rd person shooters = mouse & keyboard or gamepad FTW

20. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    I noticed the same phenomenon with Crysis. Unfortunately response times go down and it can take AGES to turn 180 degrees.