1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3700+ SanDiego OVERHEAT!!!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Weigy104, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i recently done a small upgrade to my comp. the 3700+ san diego was the cpu i got. but i am very concerned about the temps it runs at because i thought that these cores ran really cool. right now it's idiling at 47 :eek: cool n quiet is enabled and i used arctic silver 5. pls help.
  2. AceFactor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a A64 3700+ Clawhammer 754, and mine runs about 10c cooler than your does -on the stock cooler.

However, when i 1st got mine, and built everything up - motherboard, ram, graphics, etc
    the temperatures hit 60c when just in the bios!

However, within a week the temps dropped down to about 35c/40c on idle instead :confused:

I would check the airflow in your case! Make sure you have case fans in the front pulling in air, some in the the side or top circulating the air, and a couple in the back to exhaust the hot air! ;)

That should do the trip, post back when you get some results. . .

Adam
  3. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Check if you mounted your heatsink correctly. If your casetemp is high it might be that as well.
    If all seems fine try adding casefans and get cables out of the airflow.
  4. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i have rounded cables in my case for all the data cables and i have 2 case fanse on back 2 in psu and one on front. i will put another on the fron twhen i get round to it. i dunno if this helps but my sys temp is 36.
  5. gerrynicol New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try disabling cool and quiet, that might make a difference.

Gerry.
  6. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Seems like the heatsink might not be on right your have to much thremal paste (or not enough). Also what is your core voltage for it at the moment?

-Dan
  7. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    One thing about AS5 is they say to use about a half of a grain of rice's worth, I prefer to use a full grain of rice's worth. There may be a little tiny bit seeping out the sides but it won't ever be enough to make contact with the board or CPU pins. Too much is better than not enough.
  8. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    first of all, no its not. not in my opinion at least.

secondly, i dont know why you're so worried... 47c idle temp is perfectly acceptable for a stock cooled cpu.
    i have mine running at pretty much similar temps. nothing to worry about.
    you need to start worrying when it starts getting to 55c and above that.

in any case, if you really want to bring down your temps, get a better cooler. that's the best and most effective thing to do.
  9. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I meant to a point. If you have a tiny little bit coming out around the outside of the chip that's technically too much, but it's not going to hurt anything. That's what I meant. I didn't mean so much it's going over the edges and joining two electrical points that aren't supposed to be joined. If that's what you meant then I would absolutely agree with you.
  10. AceFactor New Member

Thanks Received:
    To sum everything up:

Check the contact of the CPU cooler

Check the air-flow in your case

Check the ambient temperatures of the case

Check that other components in your case are not making the heat

If those dont help, give us another post! :)

Adam
  11. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok well to try and answer everything you asked me will be difficult but i'll try. weird thing about the v core it a littile pop out menu on my MSI Core centre it syas v core 1.5 but it's actually at 1.41. i have also disabled cool n quiet because it was making my cpu fan run too slow and setting of the alarm. but i think 900rpm is far too slow for a cpu fan. so i disabled it and set the fan to 2280rpm it keeps the temps idiling between 34 and 36. so thats gd.
  12. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    So it was the fan. My San Diego idles around 36 with stock cooler so I would say your good.

-Dan
  13. AceFactor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice work GerryNicol! :)

Good to hear its all running nice and sweet btw Weigy104 :D

Adam
  14. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    no it wasn't the fan really. like earlier today i had the fan at full speed like 5000rpm and the idiling temp was like 48-53 :eek: i just came home and switche don and it's fine. i think it might have been cool n quiet. but i heard there was an update for cool n quiet anyone know where i can get it. the one i got from MSI for winxp never had an setup.exe in the winxp folder only in 98/2k folder. lol. and btw what your cpu the 3700+ too? djbbenn (soz if spelt wrong)
  15. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Cool 'N' Quiet shouldn't make it hotter, it does lower the fan speed for the quiet but for the cool, it brings the voltage down and brings the clocks to 5X200MHz or 1GHz. Unless the Cool 'N' Quiet wasn't working properly.

I have a 4000+ San Diego Weigy104.

-Dan
  16. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice. yeh well i think my cool n quiet might be buggered then cos it never done any of that. is there anyway to update it?
  17. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Don't even bother with it. Its not worth it, cause when you need the full power of the cpu, sometimes you wont get it. If you want a quiet pc (stock coolers are quiet anyways) get a Zalman.

-Dan
  18. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol nah silence isn't that important i just don't want anything thats gonna make my comp roar. lol