Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by intel igent, Jan 18, 2008.
i dont trust the media :shadedshu
still waiting for it
I'm starting to wonder if they are scrapping it. It's kinda pointless to have a DX10 card that can't do DX10.
na i payed for it
it can do it but they dont want to bcuz then there would be more ppl using older hardware as opossed to upgrading.
they want us to upgrade. they dont care that our pcs are sufficient for our needs they want our money.
marketing is a b!tch
i dont want to spend $1000-$1500 just to get updated GFX; cuz thats all i need.
If that's in reference to the info I posted before, well that press release came directly from GECUBE, not from the media, straight from the horse's mouth as some say...
I guess this can be officially called a paper launch, as I feared most, well, screw this card, I only wanted it to give a last breath of life to my good ol' PC so I could use it as an HTPC, but whatever...:shadedshu I'm really busy playing Mass Effect and Burnout Paradise on my 360 and my 47" 1080p LCD to really care about PC gaming at the moment anyway.
Been wanting to upgrade my PC for ages and finally move to PCIe, but dunno if you guys feel we are like trapped in a transition period, I was about to take the plunge almost two months ago when nVidia released the 8800GT, but within days of its release rumors started spreading about the "new" GTS, and then the 780i, which I had chosen as my first PCIe mobo turned out to be the same ol' 680i, not a bad thing at all, but not too inspiring either, and then, Intel pushed back the release of the new quads because of the competition's lackluster performance, at this rate I will never upgrade at all
You can't wait for technology, something new is always around the corner .
Upgrading to PCIe isnt THAT much; all you need is around $300 for a pretty good computer (yes I know this is a lot for some dudes...if it was me with AGP, I know I couldnt afford to go to PCIe ). But its not in the 1000's.
And if you sell your older parts, you turn that $300 into $100.
Even cheaper for someone with my current system.
All I have to do is get a new motherboard, graphics card and sell off the old motherboard and video card.
Which I will be doing soon.
Buying a ASUS A8N32-SLi Deluxe and either a XFX 8800GT or a BFG 8800GTS 640mb.
Fortunately there is still alot of people here who use AGP.
Yeah, I meant getting a whole dual core CPU, DDR2 RAM, PCIe, etc etc. For those who JUST want PCIe, its like $50 (and thats probably what you save in getting a PCIe card as opposed to AGP)
Yes, I know that, and it's been like that for quite some time, but I want to get a platform that can last me for a good time, but I guess you're right, I can't wait for technology, or I'll be waiting forever
I don't want to sell this PC, I want to keep it in my room so I can use it to surf the web, or as an HTPC, and get a new rig for gaming
LOL I did the same thing. When I had my P4 w/ 1GB DDR RAM and X800 graphics card, I thought "Im just going to get a new motherboard...then get another P4 thats 775, DDR2 RAM, and an X800 PCIe card" (I would have actually made a profit, as 478's, AGP X800's and DDR RAM was REALLY expensive)).
Anywho, the P4 turned into a core 2, the X800 PCIe turned into an X1950 PRO, the generic 1GB DDR2 RAM turned into G.Skill 2GB DDR2 @ 4-4-4-12 and the motherboard went from a budget board to the ASUS P5B dlx (really good at the time).
It still didnt cost all THAT much (like $400)...but it was a big difference from spending nothing .
OK, bit of an update and a spotting. As I'm hopefully moving out this time next month I've managed to resist building a new rig. However, I still wouldn't mind a 3850 so I went-a-lookin' and found something rather interesting.
If you look, they're planning on getting more in stock on the 28th of this month. I'll be keeping my eye on this as it looks like a better option than the Sapphire to be honest.
If your'e going to get the 3850 are you going to sell the X1950pro?
I'll be selling mine as soon as my new hardware arrives as I think the X1950pro retail prices are going to be a dime a dozen in a few months.
If that's the case then yeah I probably would sell it. I doubt I'd get the £100 I bought it for but still, anything over £50 would still be pretty nice.
Here it is over at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730
Hmmm.... I'll have to wait for it's release in the UK to see if there is a major price difference and if the Club3D Zalman like cooler is worth the extra cost.
anyone know the length of these babies?
specifically the sapphire?
im feeling lazy
Someone (who has the PCIe 3850) said to me in another thread, that it's the same length as the X1950 Pro. So that's good for me as I'll be able to fit mine into my Shuttle. Woo woo!
I coiuldn't imagine the 3850 being any longer.
My 8800GT is shorter in length than the X1950pro.
My Sapphire 3850 AGP is about 9 inches long, I imagine the Powercolor board will be about the same length.
Now, I'm going to need some convincing. Is the the 3850 a worthy upgrade to my X1950 Pro. I'm itching to buy it (even though I shouldn't) I just need some evidence to prove to me it'll be worth forking out for.
w00t! just ordered mine ill be getting it tomorrow or wednesday!
i ordered the sapphire model and as long as its 9" ill be able to shoehorn it, literally, in. if you want to know what i mean have a look at my box in the case gallery
for you canadians they are available at canadacomputers and pcvillage!
now i gotta finalize my order with petras and ill be good to go
i sended a mail to store i ordered from its taking to long..
damit it this starts pissing me of a pre-order allready 100 ppl have it and i dont !
I saw one at the downtown toronto canadacomputers yesterday. I never would've thought that they would have one.
I can't wait to see what sort of numbers you lot will get compared to the X1950 Pro.
Separate names with a comma.