1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3870 with two unlike monitors problem

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Chrisbe, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Chrisbe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just replaced my Radeon X1900 and my 17 inch 4x3 monitor with a Radeon 3870 and a 24 inch widescreen. The 24 inch is my main monitor. I also have this card connected to my HDTV. I don't use the HDTV setup very often but sometimes it is nice to put the PC on the TV. With the 1900 I created profiles that I would use to switch setups by using hotkeys. I set up the same with the 3870. Keep in mind that each monitor needs a different set up (resolution). In my profiles I have settings for just the 24 inch, for just the HDTV, with both (using a resolution that works for the HDTV and so so for the PC), for extended, etc.

What is happening is every time I turn on the TV (to watch TV, not to use as a monitor) my PC recognizes this and enables the second monitor (which of course is disabled when just using the main LCD). The main issue is that I am not able to keep my settings for the 24 inch once the second monitor is enabled - it turns from a 16x10 to a 16x9 (1920x1200 to 1920x1080). This is annoying and I do not know how to set up the catalyst manager to not enable the second monitor when the TV is turned on or off. Any ideas? Everytime I turn on the TV this happens

There is a setting in the Catalyst Manager for manually detecting monitors but this is the default and it is not helping.

2. sam0t New Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly what version of Catalysts are you running? I have quite similiar setup to yours, only difference is that I have a projector hooked up to the card.

Everytime I turn on the projector , the 3870 outputs a default resolution to the projector even if I too have manually detecting monitors set up. This does not bug me that much as this does not change my main display resolution, just that the default resolution for the projector is wrong. What I do is just enable my "projector only" profile where the main display is disabled and the projector has its correct 1280x720 resolution and Iam good to go. What is weird that the same process with your system changes the main display resolution too. Have you tried to enable your profiles again after turning on your TV and so on?

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it would also help if you told us what cables you use. if you use HDMI, i too have problems with auto detect going wrong (on ATI as well as Nvidia) and setting it to 1920x1080, even tho i only have a 720p screen.

I dont have a fix for my problem, but it may be better for you to try other cable types (VGA/DVI/HDMI etc)

4. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know that Vista has improved multi-monitor setups, over XP (at least it improved it for me), so if you're running XP, it might be worth gettig a third party piece of software to help you out, like Ultramon. Since I've not tried a setup like you're using, I can't be of much more help, but Ultramon might allow you to configure it not to change.
    Also, the 24" might be changing to 1920x1080, as it might be cloning what's on the 24" to the TV. You might have mentioned this before, but it would explain why it's lowering the resolution a little.

5. Chrisbe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am now in contact with ATI/AMD customer support. I have explained my situation to them in painful detail. Once I get a formal response I will post it in this forum. Sorry for the amount of text that will follow but I want to post it for the record :) Here is what I sent them after they sent me a list of follow up questions including my set up:

Let me give you my complete set up.

MY SETUP
    • I have the 3870 from Sapphire. I am running Vista 32 Ultimate.
    • My main monitor is a 24 inch widescreen. It does not have an DVI input; it has an HDMI input. I bought a DVI to HDMI converter adaptor (I did not use the one that came with the 3870) from ATI.COM and am using that with an HDMI cable. This is connected to the first DVI port. The optimal resolution for this monitor is 1920x1200 at 60p hertz. The monitor has built in speakers that work when an HDMI input is used. I have tested this with my XBOX 360 and the sound works. However, when using the DVI to HDMI converter I bought from ATI.COM with the 3870 the sound does not work.
    • My secondary monitor is my HDTV. It is a 50 inch Sony Plasma. It is 4 years old and when built did not come with an PC input. Before I bought the 3870 I had various Radeons and used the ATI DVI to Component Video adaptor to connect to this TV. I never had the problems discussed within this email. My Pioneer Surround Sound receiver VSX-84TXSi is my switch. So the TV is plugged in to this. I used the DVI-HDMI Converter Adaptor that came with the 3870 to plug into the second DVI port of the 3870 and run an HDMI cable to the VSX-84TXSi HDMI input. Using this DVI-HDMI Adaptor allows me to have sound sent to my receiver. The native resolution for this TV is 1365x768 with 60p hertz. Keep in mind that I use this TV mostly for cable TV. I only occasionally use it with the PC.
    • My default profile in the Control Center is to only have the 24 inch monitor enabled. This is what I want primarily.
    • I have Hotkeys set up in the Control Center for various profiles.
    1. When I want to show my desktop on the HDTV I have a profile that enables the HDTV and clones it to the 24 inch. I switch my receiver from TV mode to HDMI input mode to put the PC onto the HDTV. The HDTV will not accept a 1920x1200 so my best option is to use 1920x1080 at 60p hertz in clone mode. There is slight underscan on the HDTV but I just use the scaling options to get it close to exact. My 24 inch monitor at 1920x1080 is slightly stretched vertically.
    2. When I want to extend my 24 inch I have a profile that enables the HDTV and extends the 24 inch to the HDTV. I switch my receiver from TV mode to HDMI input mode to put the PC onto the HDTV. I set the HDTV resolution to 1280x720 at 60p hertz. At this setting there is some underscan but I use the scaling option to get it close. I have tried forcing it to use 1360x768 but still underscan and the refresh rate is 30i. Doesn’t sound right since this is a progressive monitor. I am assuming the Poineer receiver is converting it from interlaced to progressive.
    3. When I want to just use the HDTV I have a profile that enables the HDTV and disables the 24 inch. I use 1280x720 at 60p hertz. Some slight underscan that I fix as best I can with the scaling option feature. I switch my receiver from TV mode to HDMI input mode to put the PC onto the HDTV.
    4. Of course I have a hotkey set up to get back to my default setup where only my 24 inch is enabled at its optimal resolutions of 1920x1200 at 60p hertz
    • My goal was to set this up using hotkeys to change profiles whenever I wanted to. I was hoping to use the 3870 sound capabilities. For my 24 inch I bought a DVI-HDMI adaptor hoping this will allow the sound to be sent to the monitor speakers. For the HDTV I was using the supplied DVI-HDMI adaptor. When I am not using the HDTV I am fine with the low quality speakers on the monitor. When I want great sound I would use the HDTV with the Surround receiver to get the sound I want thru my home theater speakers. I was hoping this arrangement would work. In this arrangement in the control panel I can keep the 3870 sound option as the default. If this doesn’t work and I cant use the speakers on the monitor that means I would need to use the built in sound card capabilities of the PC for the 24 inch and then when I want to use the HDTV I would have to change the default sound option to the the 3870 sound. This is annoying to have to manually change each time.
    • One last point. When I first installed the 3870 drivers I saw under the sound card driver section in Device Manager something like HD Audio. I made the mistake of uninstalling this or disabling. I do not recall which. I was not able to get this reinstalled so I manually installed the XP drivers thinking those might be the ones since there appeared to be no Vista equivalent in the DVD. Now it shows in Device Manager ATI Function Drive for High Definition Audio ATI AA01. Is this right? And if not could you send me the right driver for this?

BEHAVIORS

• Again, my default set up only has the 24 inch monitor enabled. What I notice is when I turn on my Poineer Receiver and HDTV to watch Cable TV (it is not even set to HDMI input mode for viewing the PC) the Catalyst Control Panel would enable the HDTV and clone it with the 24 inch, exactly like Hotkey number 1 above. What is annoying is that in this configuration my 24 inch screen is stretched. And when it changes the resolution and enables the HDTV my PC hiccups a few times until it is finished. This can even crash my PC sometimes.
    • I then tried something different. I set my profile to the extended Hotkey 2 shown above as my default. I figured this is ok and I could live with this as the main default profile. The only issue being that the mouse pointer could end up off the screen to the right sometimes because it moved over to the other monitor which of course is by default enabled but not turned on. This works ok but what happens is every time I turn on the HDTV and turn it to the HDMI input the catalyst control panel changes the refresh rate from 60p hertz to 59p hertz. Is this not less than ideal? And every time I turn off and on the HDMI input, it hiccups the PC. Now, in general I do not have problems when I just turn on the Poineer receiver and HDTV to watch TV but in some situations it still causes the PC to hiccup even if I keep it at 59p hertz which is what it want to change in the setting. I could explore this more if necessary.

PROBLEM SOLVING

• I swapped DVI ports and the behavior above still presented itself.
    • I swapped the DVI-HDMI adaptors and something strange happened. The catalyst control panel showed the 24 inch as the DTV (HDMI) and the HDTV as the DTV (DVI) - the desktops were switched. And the sound worked on the 24 inch but not on the HDTV. I was not able to set the 24 inch resolution to anything that worked well. The 1920x1200 was shifted to the left. This leads me to infer that the DVI-HDMI adaptor that comes with the 3870 actually converts the signal into a true HDMI signal with sound and the DVI-HDMI adaptor I bought from ATI.COM is just a simple adaptor. Is this true?
    • I tried disabling the secondary monitor while the TV was on but this did not help - the HDTV got detected again.
    • One last thing. I have posted this problem on several forums and many others have similar problems.

QUESTION SUMMARY

• Is the DVI-HDMI converter that comes with the 3870 different from the one I bought from ATI.COM? Is it what I inferred in that the former converts to an HDMI signal and the other is just an adaptor? If they are the same why can I not switch them?
    • In Device Manager it shows under Sound: ATI Function Drive for High Definition Audio ATI AA01. Is this the right one for Vista?
    • Is the behavior I am experiencing a bug or by design? Can it be fixed if a bug?
    • And if I have to live with having my default profile be the 24 inch extended onto the HDTV (Hotkey 2 above) is there a way to force it to stay on 60p Hertz? And if not is 59p Hertz ok? Am I losing much?
    • One last thing. I am thinking about going back to the component video adaptor. Will this work with the 3870? And of course that would mean I would not get sound

Hope this helps with your problem solving. It was everything I could think of that would be helpful. thanks.

Mussels says thanks.
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ bigass post with everything clear and easy to read. thanks a lot for that.