1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3D Monitor advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xubidoo, Oct 5, 2011.

1. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all , been out of PC gaming a while ,and now my trusty 22" Samsung monitor is slowly dying , so ive been looking around and found this..

http://www.onyougo.com/acer-gn245hqbid-etug5he015-flat-panel-displays_pi336172

Any thoughts on this? will be running it with my listed specs , any problems , eg is my system good enough for running 3D games,movies etc or do i need to upgrade something. Or should it run stuff fine , have no problems with normal games etc, i've just no idea when it comes to 3D stuff.

Any advice would be great, thanks..
  2. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    Tbh, your current gpu is weak in my opinion for this monitor. For movies I guess it's fine, but not for gaming, again due to your current gpu.

I would first upgrade your gpu then go with a regular non-3D monitor and save some money.
  3. dogpile New Member

Thanks Received:
    Volkszorn88's suggestion is good.

Does your 226BW flicker at start-up? I have the same monitor that started to flicker
    and a simple capacitor swap restored it to its original glory.
    xubidoo says thanks.
  4. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I have a slightly newer version of that monitor, it does a great job, but as pointed out you have a weak GPU which could result in a mediocre experience with said monitor.
  5. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah flickers badly for around a minute or so on startup, maybe because its not warmed up or something? after a min or so it stops and is perfectly fine.
    tbh i wouldnt have a clue how to go about doing something like that to fix it, i generally tend to make things worse when trying to fix something lol.

thanks all for the suggestions , looks like i need a new GPU then.
  6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I had that monitor once and all I can say is: stay away. There was a design fault with it, which showed a fringe around text characters and made the picture look kinda fuzzy. It couldn't be adjusted out, either and the shop model was just the same, so I got a refund. Dreadful fault and a complete deal-breaker.

Your GPU is a little weak nowadays, too. However, you can still play some games in 3D, if you lower the resolution and details. I've got a GTX 580 and while it's still quite expensive, it blasts through everything beautifully. Besides the price, you have to make sure that you have a suitable PSU to power it, too and enough cooling in the case. You case is ok sizewise, as the 580 is the same size as your 260.
  7. dogpile New Member

Thanks Received:
    The flickering will only get worse over time. The cheap Chinese capacitors are made to last a few years - just about when the warranty expires on the component :shadedshu

Your 226BW wasn't cheap when new and is still a good LCD. The capacitor swap will only cost you
    a few bucks if you DIY...not very difficult at all. Stick to Japanese made Capacitors for this job.

I can offer some help or just do a search on Youtube under Samsung 226BW