1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3rd party DRM on Steam (New Batman and L.A. Noire)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mr McC, Oct 27, 2011.

1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's up to the publisher if they want whatever DRM on their product. Not Steam. I don't care either way, DRM doesn't bother me in this case.
  2. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    My advice for the millionth topic about this kind of stuff.. Get..Over..It..
    People been crying about DRM since it was only D.. Get use to it.. Buy it or don't buy it.
    If you didn't get Batman 1 due to DRM then it's your loss. The game was magnificent.
    The DRM caused no issues at all.
    erocker says thanks.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    No, it isn't correct, it isn't even allegedly designed to stop piracy. It is designed to post-pone piracy, and prevent the inept from just making a copy of the disc and giving it to their friends, and it does that. Even if they can post-pone the spread for a day after the game is launched it helps, because the biggest sales for a game come the first few days after it is released, so if for those precious few days they can not be competing with a pirated version they are better off.

Actually, Batman:AA's DRM was brilliant. Besides the standard DRM, they put a bug in the game that only affected pirates, and man did the pirates light up the forums with "ZOMG I can't get past this part. HELP!" threads, it was rather funny to see...

But, yes, I agree with you. Get over it. DRM isn't that bad. Your PC isn't going to come to a grinding hault because you have a piece of software installed on it that only runs when you run a game and doesn't affect the system other than that.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely no problem for me. I'll wait for a sale on Steam to pick those games. Too much money spent already this year.
  5. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I feel it's wrong to be so dismissive about DRM, moreso when we're discussing second and third levels of DRM. Suffice to say that not everyone views DRM with the same nonchalance, which in my humble opinion is a wise policy, given that it has direct bearing on your rights as a consumer:

http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php/754-Evaluation-Report-Batman-Arkham-Asylum

http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php/603-The-Solution

But each to their own and if you can remain oblivious I am not about to try to convince you or erocker that this is an issue that should cause concern. In any event, if the thread serves no other purpose, at least a number of Steam users will be made aware of third-party DRM that they may have otherwise missed.

If that were the case, why not simply remove all DRM a few months after release?
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I appreciate that, and I really do understand how some people can/will be concerned about this. I'm just not one of them. :toast:
    Mr McC says thanks.