1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4770k Delidding Attempt

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by manofthem, Dec 28, 2013.

1. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I recently moved over to a 4770k (from my trusty 2600k), and right away I found that the temperatures with the 4770k were horrible, atrocious really. At stock speeds the temps were worse than my 2600k @4.5ghz. So right away I was resolved to delid my cpu, but I had put it off because I was busy and nervous about doing it.

That all changed this Wednesday, when finally my balls dropped and I became a man. :D

Now I know that many have already delidded their Haswell chips months ago, but since this was an exciting move for me, I decided to share my very unprofessional results with the community.

Details:
    4770k w/ MSI z87 G45 mobo
    Full custom water loop, Raystorm block, 2 360 rads with push fans, D5 pump, distilled water, R9 290 block also

Process:
    I used the vice method. I saw someone else on another site recommend this vice from Home Depot for $20, and it worked fine. Stuck the CPU upside down in the vice, closing the around the IHS, and then aligned the block of wood (block from a mouse trap, that never killed a mouse) to the PCB of the CPU. Then, a few good whacks!!! Took like 6-7 hits since I was being careful, but then I just gave it a good hit and voila, popped right off.

Cleaned off the old TIM with alcohol, and I cleaned the old glue off with a guitar pick, as I don't have fingernails to do the job :oops: It all cleaned up pretty well, no major issues, and then it came time to reapply TIM.

I used Coollaboratory Liquid Pro (blue for cool ;)). This stuff is amazing, and you only need a very little bit! I don't have a picture of that since I was a little worried about what I was doing, and my little girl (2.5yrs) was there "helping" me; she cleaned the underside of the IHS w/ a q-tip and alcohol.

CPU
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coollaboratory Liquid Pro
    [​IMG]

Guiatar Pick (excellent for cleaning off the glue of the cpu)
    [​IMG]

Delid Tools
    [​IMG]

Results - Before/After:
    4770k Intel Burn Test (B/A) BOINC (B/A)
    1 Stock 3.7GHz 72*C / 58*C 55*C / 47*C
    2 OC 4.4ghz@1.26v 94*C / 70*C 74*C / 60*C

Final Thoughts:
    This was absolutely worth it IMO, since I didn't break my CPU. Had I destroyed the CPU, I would be singing a different tune. All things considered, it wasn't that bad, and it took me about 1hr 15min or so from start to finish, that's taking into consideration of doing this with my little girl with me.

Temps are terrific now, pretty much around what my temps were with my 2600k@4.4 or so. With the temps in check, I may decide to see if I can get a little higher, but that's uncertain as of now. Some screenies below :)

Stock TIM
    stock IBT: 72
    [​IMG]

4770k stock BOINC: 55
    [​IMG]

4770k 4.4ghz@1.26v IBT: 94+
    [​IMG]

4770k 4.4ghz@1.26v BOINC: 74
    [​IMG]

Delidded, reapplied Coollaboratory Liquid Pro
    stock IBT
    [​IMG]

stock BOINC
    [​IMG]

4.4@1.26v IBT
    [​IMG]

4.4@1.26v BOINC
    [​IMG]

That's it, just wanted to share the info with whomever wishes to view it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    a vice and a block of wood and a hammer? You people are nuts. What happened to the good old razor blade days.
    manofthem says thanks.
  3. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    When I first heard of a vice and a hammer, I thought it was a joke :laugh:

Then I saw a few YT videos and it seemed much quicker and reportedly safer than a razer blade, since a razer can cut into the pcb part of it. Can't say for sure really, but from the videos I saw, the blade takes a lot longer
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  4. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Oh windows task manager, what a troll you are. Fooling me with that 5.46ghz clockspeed.

Good work.
    manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    ? where is 5.4? i could read only 4.4....

op, congrats.... it pays off being a "man" lol

:p
    manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Every single screenshot of the task manager. Says speed. 5.46ghz, sometimes even 5.5ghz.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    ah hah! i didnt notice that. but his real temp and CPUz shows 4.4...... hmmmm i dont think he wanted us be fooled about it. he may have not noticed it but youre right about it. my apologies.... now lets wait for manofthem to reply about it.
    manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. SKBARON

SKBARON

Thanks Received:
    Duke Nukem has shit. You're the one who's got balls of steel :D.
    Congrats on the wonderful results :)
    manofthem says thanks.
  9. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Cpuz is right. Task manager is the troll/fool I spoke of. Task manager has an error.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice job!!! My temps at 4.4 with 1.22 vcore running boinc are about 61-63c. You efforts are making me consider doing the same...
    Crunch on:toast:
    manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    makes me wanna delid my 3770k with vice method... lol.... hmm..... (sigh)... if I delid means bye bye warranty also... (sigh)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    done the same here, but i used the liquid ultra.

now i sit in the low 60c range on 1.38vcore. sad part is i need that for 4.5ghz :(
    manofthem says thanks.
  13. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    Cool - and Hooper got balls :)
    manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Task Manager is incorrect obviously, though I'm not sure why it was reported 5.xx. I had it in the screens to show full cpu load and didn't notice the weird reading until I was putting all these shots together for the thread, and by that point it was too late to do anything.

The main reason I did this is because this cpu crunches 24/7, and I wanted better temps. Happily temps dropped nicely. Might try for 4.5, not sure what voltage will be required yet, hope it's not too high.
    Arjai says thanks.
  15. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Can link to the YouTube Videos you watched?

I truly am astounded that a hammer is used. o_O
    manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Sure, will do a little later when I get home. I also watched several razer blade videos that I can link, and it seemed a little too iffy to me, too likely to make a mistake with a sharp blade.
  17. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    I have watched, painfully, a number of razor blade delids. I find it hard listening to some kid in his mom's basement, voice cracking, as he describes how not to cut yourself. :p
    ...PACMAN... and manofthem say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    Nice work man, I run hot at 4.4. Alas, I neither have the money or balls to attempt this. Maybe when I am getting near upgrade time and have the funds I will try it.
    manofthem says thanks.
  19. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I delidded a 3570k, I used deadblow hammer and wood it takes about 1 minute to get the lid off. Takes about 25 minutes with the razor blade. Then the cleanup is worse for some reason with the razor blade.

I delidded 4 celerons first, two with razors two with hammer, hammer is the way to go. Celerons are typically $3 on ebay so you can buy a few and f-k them up as much as you want.
  20. deadmansclick

Thanks Received:
    I actually removed my IHS using a razor blade & a hammer, which is also a very quick way of doing it & safe if your gentle. Also I re-stuck the IHS back down with RTV silicone similar to this... http://www.abro.com/products/automotive/gasket-makers-and-sealants/?product=180 but black not grey. So it actually looks & works the same as the black glue or whatever they used themselves.

Although my warranty is in theory voided, I don't see how they would possibly realise what I had done without removing the IHS & seeing the liquid pro :). I wouldn't have thought they actually do much testing on faulty chips apart from just seeing if they are dead, then putting them in the bin if the are & logging the batch number etc. Im obviously speculating on this as I have no clue what they do to RMA'd cpu's, but just seems obvious from a cost perspective?
  21. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    These are some of the videos that I watched prior to delidding, thrown in the spoiler for the sake of clutter. There was another one I saw that I can't find now, but I'll add it in if I stumble upon it agian.

Also, I should be doing my brother's 4670k somewhat soon, so I may film that and add it to the thread. Gotta finish his build, and that won't be for week or so.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    Arjai and ...PACMAN... say thanks.
  22. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Good job. Glad it worked out for you.

Think I'll stick with my 2500K though.

Still very scary to me and fortunately can't afford an upgrade right now.

Just don't understand why Intel didn't put proper material in these chips.
    manofthem says thanks.
  23. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    so they can not overclock to full potential and make the hepc platform look stupid.

if all ivy did 5ghz+ like they do with liquid tim who would of gone sb-e?
  24. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:

Then don't make 2011 boards and chips, and just sell more of the other. Sell the people what they want at reasonable price.

It's not like they're hurting for profit. I mean there's being smart businessmen, and then there's just being greedy.
  25. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    yea, i wish the world was like that too.

maybe next year when china rules the world?