1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4850 ATI winflash fail

Discussion in 'RBE' started by xsever, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xsever

xsever New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone,

I was trying to flash my Sapphire 4850 with ATI Winflash. It failed and I restarted ( i know i could have recovered it if I did not restart)

My mobo has two slots and I will have a second pci card ready in a couple of hours. The thing is that whenever I plug the card now, the PC won't even post! If i unplug it and use the integrated graphics, it works. I am trying to flash from DOS, but how can I do it if the computer does not even post when the card is plugged?

Update: If I unplug the PCI power connector, the computer boots but when I try atiflash -i, i get "Adapter not found.
  2. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Im guessing you have to have a card plugged into first pci-e slot for it to post. So you should be fine when you get the extra pci-e card and plug it into the first slot. (My mobo wouldn't post either with a card only in the lower pci-e slot)

Also don't run the card without the needed pci-e 6pin power adapter. It won't work with out it no matter what.
  3. xsever

xsever New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it okay if that second card is an Nvidia card? I mean I only need it to access ati winflash. What about using the card and a bootable usb drive to flash from atiflash (dos), which is safer?

Thanks,
  4. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    yeah its fine. Don't boot even boot into windows. Just use winflash in dos, much safer.

For future reference dont use atiwinflash, always do it in dos. Its much safer.
  5. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    the vendor of the 2nd card isn't going to be an issue just as long as you know which card is which(0 is is PCI-E #1 video card, 1 is PCI-E #2 video card). I ALWAYS flash with a bootable USB cause I feel your messing with fire when flashing in a windows environment.

Follow this, http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/vidcard/34/5, and you'll be in good hands.
    T3kl0rd says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. xsever

xsever New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a lot guys for your help. I already have the bootable USB drive ready! :p

What got me wondering is why shouldn't I be able to use the integrated graphics instead of a second physical card? I guess when a card is plugged into the first slot, the mobo will always set it as priority one.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
  7. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    You should be able to go into the bios and set the motherboard to only use the onboard video. No matter if a video card is plugged in or not.
  8. xsever

xsever New Member

Thanks Received:
    I looked into it and I was finally able to set the onboard vga as primary. Will try the flash and report back.

Thanks,
  9. xsever

xsever New Member

Thanks Received:
    I set the onboard graphics as the primary. That allowed the PC to post, and then through a USB drive I was able to load the bios with atiflash.

Thanks a lot everyone for your help.