1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4850 Blue PCB ICE Q4 Overclock HELP!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by random, Jan 23, 2009.

1. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I'm very disappointed with these cards atm.. lol, they are both reference PCB's but are blue colored...

I've softmodded their voltages to 1.158 using the CCC profile and tried auto tune.

Auto tune ends up at 690-1190 .. its runs fine for half an hour or an hour, only with a small amount of artifacting but then it stops responding after a while.

WTF is with these cards!? ....

Is there another way I can soft mod these cards or improve its oc? right now its stable at 660/1050 more core clock will end up in a black screen no signal after a while.

2. TmdRockz™

TmdRockz™ New Member

Thanks Received:
    try decreasing the mem and increasing the core

3. DavyGT Guest

4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try modding the BIOS through RBE to 1.158, I think some have had issues with CCC profile not holding the higher voltage, so you might not actually be getting 1.158v currently, 1.158v currently gives me near to 800mhz but my cards are non reference with additional power phases and an 8 pin PCI-E connector.

random says thanks.
  5. random

random

Thanks Received:
    What are the chances I will kill my card if I flash its bios?

6. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Have you ever done it before? It's very easy these days but does void your warranty (unless of course you flash them back at a later date with the origional BIOS :rockout:) I have flashed my two 4850's about 15 times each....I am always playing/tweaking even though I am just an old retired overclocker ;) Simply download RBE from this site, dump your BIOS using GPU-z, open it up using RBE, under clocks/voltages change 03 and 09 (from memory as I am at work now) to 1.158 and save, call it something like "New", then having downloaded Winflash from TPU also, simple flash the card, the higher voltage will only come in in 3D mode so surfing etc will remain at the lower voltage in 2D clocks.

Just make sure you save a copy of the origional BIOS to flash back at a later date if you sell your card or return it.......of course, at the end of the day the choice is yours, Winflash makes it easy TBH, I assume that your temps are not too high at the moment? the extra voltage and Mhz will addd a little to temps.

random says thanks.
  7. random

random

Thanks Received:
    No definitely not its summer here gets to around 40+ degrees celcius, and my cards remain well under 50 in idle and way under 60 - 70 in load.

I will try flashing them now... I'm praying to god lolol

8. random

random

Thanks Received:
    /bump

Ok maybe I'm wrong but I think my 1GB card is preventing me to use flashing software, everytime I turn off CCC and ati drivers and launch winflash all I get is a black screen and a reboot plus the software aint working like it used to.

This never happened to my 512mb ICEQ4. And its not worth flashing just one card lol, sigh.. I think its a sign to just leave it because I've already lost 2 >< could've had quadfire lolol

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  9. random

random

Thanks Received:
    /bump

Would pencil modding as an alternative be the safest option? The fact that you can rub it off and that you can't overvolt your card with a 2b Pencil no matter what?

10. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    More risky in as much as you may over do it, are you using winflash the latest release of Winflash, I think its from december....sounds to me as you have an older version not reckognising the 4850.

This one.............

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1282/Winflash_2.0.1.5.html

ohhhh and dont turn off drivers, just exit CCC and stop the CCC "service" running in task manager.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  11. random

random

Thanks Received:
    LATE REPLY I forgot about this thread.

The IceQ4 1GB doesn't seem to be recognized by any BIOS flashing programs! Even if it does show it, the 4800 series will pop up but then black screen of death will follow right after...

My last resort is this stupid CCC profile mod sighhhh what to do now, want to squeeze more out of these babies :(

PS: It could also be that the 1GB his does not have a flash rom as stated opn the HIS official site, some of them aren't able to do BIOS flashing ><

12. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    My IceQ4 4850s also dont clock that well. I get them to 700/1200 but they just wont OC higher than that.

random says thanks.
  13. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I have ASUS 4850 reference not the TOP edition. It does 750/1075 so faster core slower memory.
    I did not find reference 4830 I was planing for one of those. From the reviews they clock 750 1100 so for the money they are great buy.

random says thanks.
  14. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    i no this aint any help but i carn't get my head why you wanna oc ur card, ive got the 512mb version and it peforms amazing at my current setup and my current res (all in system specs) so if urs in mor epowerfull then mine urs must peform better so why do you feel the need to oc it when its playing games amazingly well?

random says thanks.
  15. random

random

Thanks Received:
    The way these card come out of the box, they look like they have the most potential to overclock, I'm just disappointed by the fact I get no performance increases when I higher their clocks.

Think of it like this, you buy a new treadmill and no matter what speed you set it on, it doesn't get any faster :( despite the fact you paid so much money for it ><

ste2425 says thanks.
  16. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    I only overclock my GPUs for E-penis benchmarks.

Typically for gaming, GPU overclocking is useless unless you can get 30% increase in core clock. IMO

random says thanks.
  17. random

random

Thanks Received:

Yeah but thing is no matter how high I set the clock I don't get any E-Penis gains :(. Do you guys think that it could be something to do with my powersupply?

2HDD's
    Antec 1200 with all optional fans installed
    UV lights
    CPU oc'd to 3.4GHZ ...

fact is why I think the PSU is the reason is because when I underclock my CPU I get performance gains from OC'ing my video cards.

18. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    It really might be something worth testing. The HX is good but there are so many +12v rails in that PSU that the load of the GPUs might not be spread out evenly.

Before replacing it I would suggest you try change the output on the PSU that leads to one of the GPUs. Since your PSU is modular I think that is how you would balance that out. Honestly I'm not sure.

My cards dont OC like crazy but I do see performance increases when OCd.

If you do plan to replace it the PSU in my sig is rather inexpensive here and known t work well.

random says thanks.
  19. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I'll try that thanks, it'd be a shame to replace a certified PSU for 4850 crossfire ><.

Certified my ass. HX-620 is damn sexy, if I do replace it I'd probably go for the Antec Quattro 850 watt or something.

20. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    I always recommend a PSU with single +12v rail but that is just my preference.

21. random

random

Thanks Received:
  22. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Well it will rule out any questions of power shortage. IF power shortage the reason you cant OC then yes this will help. Power doesn't guarantee OC headroom.

That is a really nice PSU and really expensive also. :twitch: but most modular single +12v units are pricey.

random says thanks.
  23. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dual, quad rails are pretty good but it all depends on ur system configuration.

EDIT: It aint ur psu, someone got 2x4870/Q9550 4GHz on HX620 no probs. Did u try RivaTuner?

random says thanks.
  24. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    I know ;) but this relieves all the guess work.

Also I would like to add the fact that I wouldnt upgrade the PSU just for E-Penis.

random says thanks.
  25. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I haven't tried RivaTuner for overclocking yet, its a bit more complicating than other programs :) lol. But I can confirm with CCC that there are no changes in performance no matter what clock its set to