1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4850 Crossfire Issue

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Xart, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Xart New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone!

I recently bought a 2nd 4850 to setup crossfire. I followed the Crossfire guide here at techpowerup forums and did everything instructed. However when I ran 3Dmark06, there were no improvements whatsoever (the crossfire box in CCC was enabled). Then I checked GPU-Z and it said Crossfire was available but not enabled. What I find odd is that GPU-Z detects 2 video cards but CCC only detects one.

both 4850s have 2 crossfire bridge slots but am currently only using 1. Do I need 2 bridges? or does it matter which slot i use if im only using 1 bridge?

My current setup:
    Intel Q9450 @ 2.66 GHZ
    Asus P5Q Pro (P45 mobo)
    Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066 (4GB)
    2x Powercolor 4850 1GB DDR3
    Antec Truepower 750W
    Windows XP SP2 (yeah i know i dont reap the benefits of 4 GB of ram:banghead:)

If anyone could shed some light on my dilemma, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

2. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you loaded drivers for both cards? I had this problem with a past set of 4850's. Did a fresh driver install to fix it.

3. JTS

JTS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, just try re-running the driver install.

Otherwise check in CCC and make sure the Enable Crossfire box is ticked (if it's showing up there)

4. Xart New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I re-install the drivers, does it matter if the cards are bridged or not?

5. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I guess it should be bridged.

Subscribed to this thread. Have another 4850, just didn't get time to experiment CF. Will help me to.

6. Xart New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried re-installing the drivers, still the same problem comes up.

Windows Device manager and GPU-Z detects 2 cards but CCC doesnt. I'll try running through the Crossfire guide here at the forums one more time.

EDIT: Information center in CCC indicates my 2nd card is disabled but windows displays both gfx cards working fine.....Did i miss a step in my xfire setup?

7. Xart New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was having issues reinstalling the drivers (Catalyst 10.2 kept crashing at a certain point in the installation) so I tried reverting to older drivers (Catalyst 9.5) and it finally worked!!!:toast::rockout:

But......

I ran some benchmarks and the performance gains were not exactly what i expected.

3Dmark06 (Default settings @ 1280x1024)

Single 4850: 12735

Dual 4850: 15815

That's barely a 28% performance boost:confused: