1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4850 Crossfire Issue

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Xart, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Xart New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone!

I recently bought a 2nd 4850 to setup crossfire. I followed the Crossfire guide here at techpowerup forums and did everything instructed. However when I ran 3Dmark06, there were no improvements whatsoever (the crossfire box in CCC was enabled). Then I checked GPU-Z and it said Crossfire was available but not enabled. What I find odd is that GPU-Z detects 2 video cards but CCC only detects one.

both 4850s have 2 crossfire bridge slots but am currently only using 1. Do I need 2 bridges? or does it matter which slot i use if im only using 1 bridge?

My current setup:
    Intel Q9450 @ 2.66 GHZ
    Asus P5Q Pro (P45 mobo)
    Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066 (4GB)
    2x Powercolor 4850 1GB DDR3
    Antec Truepower 750W
    Windows XP SP2 (yeah i know i dont reap the benefits of 4 GB of ram:banghead:)

If anyone could shed some light on my dilemma, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

2. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you loaded drivers for both cards? I had this problem with a past set of 4850's. Did a fresh driver install to fix it.

3. JTS

JTS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, just try re-running the driver install.

Otherwise check in CCC and make sure the Enable Crossfire box is ticked (if it's showing up there)

4. Xart New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I re-install the drivers, does it matter if the cards are bridged or not?

5. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I guess it should be bridged.

Subscribed to this thread. Have another 4850, just didn't get time to experiment CF. Will help me to.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Xart New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried re-installing the drivers, still the same problem comes up.

Windows Device manager and GPU-Z detects 2 cards but CCC doesnt. I'll try running through the Crossfire guide here at the forums one more time.

EDIT: Information center in CCC indicates my 2nd card is disabled but windows displays both gfx cards working fine.....Did i miss a step in my xfire setup?

7. Xart New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was having issues reinstalling the drivers (Catalyst 10.2 kept crashing at a certain point in the installation) so I tried reverting to older drivers (Catalyst 9.5) and it finally worked!!!:toast::rockout:

But......

I ran some benchmarks and the performance gains were not exactly what i expected.

3Dmark06 (Default settings @ 1280x1024)

Single 4850: 12735

Dual 4850: 15815

That's barely a 28% performance boost:confused: