1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4850 temperatures

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by blaher, Jul 10, 2008.

1. blaher New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've installed an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1, Rev2 on my HIS 4850 which keeps the GPU nice and cool, but the sensors for GPU number two and three are extremely hot. Can anybody tell me where had these sensors are located, and if this is normal?
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]
  2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think those are the transisitor things that are at the back near the power connections. You should get some ramsinks for them because if they burn out the card will die.

Yes sensor two is the transistor's. Get some ramsinks or cut the one off of the stock cooler.
  3. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    that looks scary. turn the card off quick ;/
  4. Urbklr

Urbklr

Thanks Received:
    I am told those are VRM temps. Turn your comp of NOW! and get some ramsinks on them!

I have Zalman ramsinks on mine, with a 40mm fan directly on them, that gives me 70c load....they are hot
  5. blaher New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do have a heatsink on the back of the card. I used a hacksaw to cut off the back of the heatsink on the original stock cooler, so I don't know why it is so high. I used the 8 RAM heat sinks that came with the Accelero S1, on the RAM.

Even when the card isn't under load and I have the case off with the house fan blowing directly on it, it's still pretty high.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your replies, I'll try re-seating the heatsink, or buy some Zalman ones.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you running a fan on the Accelero itself? What kind of thermal material do you have between the heatsink and vrm's? Did you make sure that it's making good contact?
  7. blaher New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, there is no fan on the Accelero itself, but as I said, there is a huge domestic house fan blowing directly onto it and I'm still getting high temperatures.

The thermal material I'm using is the stuff that came with the stock heatsink. A kind of flimsy rubber mat. Hopefully, as you say, it's not seated correctly and re-seating it will at least alleviate the problem. I can't do that just now, but I will do it ASAP and let everyone know how it goes.

Cheers.
  8. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    The fan might be causing negative airflow.. Try taking it off and see what happens.
  9. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol. Let me guess, this is being run passive. Hence no air moving over the RAM and VRMs causing very high temps. Especially Temps 2 which is the VRM temps.

edit: I see youve pointed a house fan whch has improved things. I'll repeat, you need more air moving over the VRMs. You need to strap on a 120mm fan or something. Since the cooler itself comes in no contact with the RAM and VRMs, you need to cool them as well as the aluminium fins. I hope you havent caused any long term damage.
  10. Urbklr

Urbklr

Thanks Received:
    The VRM's are on the front, the 2 packs of 4 chips, below the PCI-e connector, cool those.
  11. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    try the turbo module, some people said that worked better ;)
    the stock cooler works nicly at 30% fan speed
  12. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Could you also give us your ambient temperature in the room?
  13. Urbklr

Urbklr

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
  14. blaher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all your replies.

It turned out the flimsy thermal tape from the stock cooler wasn't sitting properly. I bought some extra heatsinks about the same size as the included Arctic Cooling S1 RAM ones anyway. I used those instead on the VRMs with some thermal adhesive, rather than the useless tape.
    It's a wonder any heat is transferred through the stock cooler's tape, even when it is sitting flush.

Ambient temperature about 25degsC
    [​IMG]

Moral of the story is:
    [​IMG]
  15. poonsmjj New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone,

just a question, have I done something wrong b/c I feel like my temps are a bit high.... I'm also using an accelero s1 with zalman heatsinks for the ram and have strapped a 120mm fan for additional cooling...

[​IMG]

What's going on? Have I done something wrong??? Thanks for your time!
  16. Urbklr

Urbklr

Thanks Received:
    Have you cooled your VRM's?....If not, then do so.
  17. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    See below for what the 3 GPU temps mean:

You might not have your heatsink making perfect contact with the GPU core.

I've lapped and polished the stock cooler of one of my cards and noticed a big difference in temps.

[​IMG]

This weekend I might polish the cooler of my other card.
  18. poonsmjj New Member

Thanks Received:

That's weird... so it's all related to the GPU? I thought temp2 and temp3 were related to the VRMs at the far right end of the card. I have already put some zalman ram heatsinks on those as well... so it's just some heatsink lapping that will do the trick???
  19. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't recommend lapping it unless you are experienced in lapping. You could easily mess up your heatsink. You should just make sure that the core is making good even contact with the base of the cooler. Anyways your temps arn't that bad and shouldn't effect the performance of the card at stock speeds.
  20. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you could have high temps if the cooler is not on evenly or if the thermal paste is too thin
  21. poonsmjj New Member

Thanks Received:
    bingo!!! Thanks to you I tried resetting the GPU - I found out that I was having poor contact b/c i tried to push those L-shaped plastic tabs as far as I could... this resulted in the gpu and heatsink having poor contact.

Here are some new results:

[​IMG]
  22. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    Glad to see you got it fixed ;)
  23. rav3n New Member

Thanks Received:
    what are those chips on the back of the card? can you post a pic?
    i have a 4850 wc with mcw60 + zalman ramsinks on memory + small heatskinks on mosfets + fan blowing to the card
    even with all that stuff 3dmark crashes during runs, so it could be any other component that is failing due to heating

[​IMG]

games, furmark and ati tool are ok
    in any 3d load application memory heatsinks are very hot to the touch
    im gonna make huge homemade ramsinks, but im out of adesive tape. i´ve ordered it but e.t.a. is ~5 days
  24. tomcug New Member

Thanks Received:
    You need to apply bigger heatsinks on VRMs. About that memory, you shouldn't worry about it.
  25. HSM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi!
    Is it possible, to monitor the temperature of the memory chips or the VRM part with the Radeon HD 4850?