1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4850's Black Screen of Death. What can i do?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Melvis, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone, i have a question that a few seem to have as well, and not sure if anyone has any answers for it yet.

My Brother bought himself a new 4850 XpertVision a few weeks back and also a new PSU the HX-520. And just last sunday we had a mini LAN at my place (6comps) and he started to get this error something like GPU is restarting or something, i haven't seen this error yet. But when this happens the screen goes black and everything near freezes and sometimes after a min it will came back again and run for awile and then do it again. It made it unplayable in UT3, and has done it a few times in Company of heroes Opposing fronts.

The system is stock as a rock and he has the latest CCC installed and drivers just like i have with his old 3850 and i have no issues.

I have heard it is a common problem with this card etc, but just wondering how common and what to do to fix this issue?

Thanks all :)
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    He's getting VPU recovers. When you/him installed the 4850 did you give it a fresh install of Windows?
    Melvis says thanks.
  3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yea that sounds like what it was :)

Yes it was on a fresh install of windows, he did a format like 3days after it was installed.

O sorry its windows XP SP2 just to let you know
  4. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    its definently vpu recovers.. try turning it off in CCC..sometimes it just CCC causing them.
    Melvis says thanks.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If it were a VPU recovery catalyst would restart the runtime and alert you to it. It sounds like a bad card, or somehow it's losing it's signal to the monitor.
  6. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Ahh ok righto ill give it a try and see what happens then, ill sit down and game for a bit on it and see what happens.

Yea i think you are right, i think thats what its doing, sux if its a bad card tho =/

Thanks all :)
  7. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I had problems just like that with my ati cards, so I downloaded ati tray tools and made it so catalyst control center would not boot with windows and I didn't get vpu recovery ever again.
  8. MopeyMartian

MopeyMartian New Member

Thanks Received:
    How did you disable CCC, using msconfig or some other way? :confused:

I just tried it using msconfig and somehow, even with CCC turned off, VPU recovery still reared its ugly head.
  9. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Well i disabled VPU recovers and i played UT3 last night for like 3-4hrs straight and it ran fine, never did it again, but i did notice that it got a black screen for about 1second, but then would come back and continue as normal.

Everything seems ok, thanks guys.
  10. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    I go to the ATI site and download the driver only version. That way, I don't have worry about any part of CCC (registered dlls, etc) "infecting" my PC. I use ATI Tray tools instead of CCC. I've never had any problems.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  11. xplor New Member

Thanks Received:
    i had the same problem with my ATI x1650 (512ddr2), i just disabled VPU recover, and everything was fine ... my monitor is not turning off anymore, also i can play a lot of new games. Also, Melvis said he player 3-4 hours UT3 and then his monitor turned off one second but comed back. Well, at me is going to be gray after the game is blocked few second and is not comming back... this can happen once at half hour, hour, 2-3 hours . Can happen everytime, but is not turning off from VPU recovers, that's disabled now. that's from other thing. Someone know why ??

AMD Athlon 2600+ (~1900) Overclocked
    1.75gb DDR pc3200 400mhz
    HDD samsung 60gb
    Ati x1650 on 512ddr2 (not overclocked) on AGP 8x
    Monitor 'Ultra' 19" non LCD
    PSU Mercury on 380w
    Motherboard Epox EP-8K9A7I
  12. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Does the CCC interfere with ATITrayTools if CCC overdrive is not enabled?
  13. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Well i did get my brothers replacement card, 2months later with no box, just the card :shadedshu, anyway it worked fine, for about a week, but just yesterday we booted it up and its artifacting everywhere, you get green dots everywhere on the screen and it wont even load into windows :confused: Starting to really Tick me off this is :mad:

Im going to do some more testing and if it doesn't work right, get the money back and get a Nvidia card. Thats what my Bro said anyway lol
  14. xplor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Code:
     Does the CCC interfere with ATITrayTools if CCC overdrive is not enabled?  
    Well, if i dont wrong, i don't have any ATITrayTools installed in my PC, but CCC overdrive is not enable. Well, was enable, but it's on default because i can't disable. I guess is the same thing, and cannot affect my computer.
  15. xplor New Member

Thanks Received:
    this thing becomes annoying. I hate when in FlatOut2 before finish in a race, my computer freeze.
    An in area51. Before checkpoint freeze. This make me lost everything i done before, and i lose control :( looking for a solution, if someone have one...