1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4850x2 -> Computer shuts off

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by offycakes, Mar 11, 2009.

1. offycakes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey there, I'm back again!

I have my 4850x2 back and it is without boot artifacts!

I installed the latest catalyst drivers (9.2) and started playing L4D for a bit. After about 15-20 minutes of playing L4D the computer shut itself off and began to boot back up.

Next I tried running 3dMark Vantage. In 3dmark it completes the first graphics test and then my computer shuts off around the same point usually of the second test.

The third thing I tried was playing crysis on max settings. Crysis will cause my computer to shut off and reboot at about 2minutes of starting the game.

Given that Crysis caused my computer to crash the quickest, I used it for my test settings. I left all settings on Crysis on HIGH but ran the game at 1024x768 in windowed mode. In windowed mode I have open PC PROBE II as well as the temperature gauge for ATI's CCC control panel. The card temperatures don't seem to get much over 55C prior to computer rebooting and the voltages remain rather steady, the 12V rail flucuated between 11.78 and 11.87. On my last test of Crysis looking at voltages my computer shut off while the game was in the menu and I was messaging someone through steam.

Is it possible that nvidia drivers from an old card are causing there to be problems?

In an attempt to factor out overheating a put a large fan next to my computer to blow heat onto it with the panel off.

My computer is;

Asus P5k Deluxe
    730W power supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152036)
    Sapphire 4850x2
    4gb OCZ Memory
    q6600
    80gb 1.5gb/s 15,000RPM WD Raptor

I also set CPU clock speeds to default settings as well as disconnected everything (including all case fans) except for my primary hard drive.
  2. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    My guess would be the PSU. Raidmax really isn't know for making top quality powersupplies.
    offycakes says thanks.
  3. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Power
    overheating issues.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    power supply and overheating are the two.
  5. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    offycakes,

Welcome back, and sorry to hear that you're having troubles.

My guess would be the PSU. Do you have a friend's that you can borrow that is at least 750W or greater?

Also, do me a favor and use this form to calculate your total computer wattage and report back to us on the figure it gives you.
    offycakes says thanks.
  6. offycakes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Something incredibly amusing just happened. I just had my friend screenshot his GPU-Z (same card, different rig, x64 vista) and I noticed that his crossfire was disabled due to incompatability (using x86 vista here). I also noticed my card was slightly underclocked from his stock card. I overclocked my card to his cards settings and disabled crossfire and what do you know, it seems to be working perfectly fine now. WTF? lol.
  7. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Try reverting your drivers to the manufacturer's CD drivers.
  8. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Power Play has engaged more than likely and GPU2 has dropped to the powerplay settings (shutting down whole core on the HD4850X2)

Just my 2 Cents.
  9. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:

From what have read, if you are using a single 4850X2 card, you should not enable crossfire in CCC: only if you are crossfiring a second card.
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=262&threadid=109900
    http://www.overclock.net/ati/428549-do-you-enable-cf-4870x2-4850x2.html

:)
  10. offycakes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well it's an interesting solution to add to the books, thanks viper.

Now my vista is corrupt and won't boot, lol. Guess I should have exerted more care as I jammed my HDD back into the cramped case.
  11. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    The goodluck fairy don't like you tonite.:)

Try your vista disk and restore the boot sector if it is hosed.
  12. offycakes New Member

Thanks Received:
    As per your advice I attempted to restore the boot sector which failed an analysis due to some error that clearly was not relevant; however, it allowed me to restore to a point earlier tonight and it's up and working again!

Now I can just hope games still run without the computer restarting. :)