1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4870 Artifacting problems

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Nepenthes, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Nepenthes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone... Recently I have had issues with my new Visiontek 4870. Unfortunately I have to make this post brief because I have to go to work in a few, but basically I was wondering if people are having similar issues. I have a bunch of "glittery" pixels, sometimes red, sometimes green, blinking around certain areas of the screen. I first noticed this in call of duty 4 when I would go up next to a dark wall, but lately I have noticed it in text fields in forums (usually when links are coded). I am also now unable to encode a dvd from an .avi file in nero vision anymore, after my computer locks up and gives me the blue screen saying the atidvag driver is having problems with the hardware, and that the hardware could be screwed, or the driver cannot properly communicate with it. Yayyy... so anywho, I was wondering if anyone else out there has encountered similar issues with ATI's rushed out product and what they did/are doing to resolve it? Do you think 8.8 catalyst drivers will fix this issue? Thanks in advance for any help/responses.
  2. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you run 3dmark06? If not, give it a shot and see how it goes.......
    Nepenthes says thanks.
  3. Pixelated

Pixelated New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a VisionTek 4870 and have not had any problems at all. I can safely overclock my card to 840\1100 with no artifacts so I'd say you have a bad card. Take it back and get a new one.

I modded my BIOS fan settings and set the power saving clocks to 300Mhz core but left the memory alone at 900Mhz because every time it changes speeds the screen flashes. It's not running so hot all the time anymore and have to say I love it. Plus the VisionTek cards have a lifetime warranty which was the main reason I bought mine. They're good cards that clock high (Both memory and core) so don't be discouraged just exchange it if you still can.
    Nepenthes says thanks.
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With artifacts, it sounds like a bad card to me.
    Nepenthes says thanks.
  5. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    if you got artifacts on stock clocks then its a bad card
    if you get it above stock clocks aka overclocks then its just a bad chip that wont allow high overclock above stock
    Nepenthes says thanks.
  6. Nepenthes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice you guys. I just got an RMA from NewEgg and am going to be replacing this headache of a card... right after I get some last minute gaming in lol. I also ordered another card so I can run my 3 monitors + TV :). I can't wait for some crossfire action :D.
  7. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice job! :toast::rockout: