1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4870 overclocking + Voltage

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by ShadowFold, Jun 23, 2009.

1. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mmmm look at this baby burn :D

[​IMG]

803mhz core speed

I'm guessing those temps are NOT safe! What can I do to lower those! Fan is at 100%!
  2. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Why arn't those temps safe? The 48xx chips have no problems running at 90c. Way too how for my taste though.

If you want better temps your gonna need a better cooler.
  3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    VDDC is the VRM temps right? I just want those better :( 79c on the core ain't no thang.
  4. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Oops forgot to raise the fan speed :laugh: better now
  5. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Ah well those temps don't look to bad to me personally. Some nice clocks there!
  6. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll get my rig up and running and post a few Xfire SS....FurMark is the killer of VRM's...run that and watch it top 100'C. :shadedshu
  7. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you still need to rename the furmark.exe file? ATI put a hack in their drivers to throttle the card to reduce the chances of card overheating from running furmark. Lot's of threads on this is you google it. And lot's of opinions about how shady that might be. Some say it is just ati protecting their cards from an unrealistic graphics load. Others say it is intended to cover up a poor thermal design (particularly the VRM cooling).

I own both a GTX260 and a 4870 so I'm not stirring the pot here. You just need to be aware of the practice if you are using furmark to test your ati card. If you want to see it for yourself run furmark.exe and take note of temps. Then rename the furmark.exe file to anything else (like test.exe). Run it again and watch the fireworks :)
  8. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, renaming FurMark is the way to go....and it does almost kill the cards with the stupid temps on the VRM's.
  9. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    IMHO it doesn't seem worth the risk to the card to subject it to that level of torture if it does not represent anything even close to real life. Ultimately you only need the card to be gaming or folding stable. Personally I am just going to use the built in stability test of CCC or maybe some looped 3dMark06 runs (Firefly forest was pretty hard on my 9600GT when I was voltmodding it). Or even the Crysis benchmarking tool.

Unfortunately I am away from home on a business trip and can't install with my new Twin Turbo cooler on my 4870 until the weekend :(

I am going to use the stock baseplate for the VRM's and memory cooling. Seems the best option from the reading that I have done.
    erocker says thanks.
  10. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    The GPUTool detector is amazing. Picks up error's a lot faster than furmark and doesn't explode my card :p
  11. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aah yes. That was on my list of tools to try. I'll need to download and try it.
  12. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    I totally agree, but I had to try it to see what kind of temps I'd get seeing as everyone bitches....not worth the time to be honest as I'd much sooner bench these cards in 06 or something similar. :)