1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4890 cooling and my experience so far

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by AsRock, Mar 9, 2010.

1. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    As the default cooler was unacceptable to me from day one i been meaning to find other ways to cool this card down. Well i had my Scythe MUSASHI hanging around from the 4870 which proved problematic which let me in getting the tweaked 4890.

So after some time i decided that replacing the default fans on it with some cheap but better 120x25mm using some zip ties while i left the default red stock plate on the cooler for cooling the mem\regs.

Here's some temps

Idle
    [​IMG]

Max load
    [​IMG]

Yesterday i installed the Custom HD4870/4890 Cooling Kit by iandh for the ram and the VRM-R1 for the voltage regulators.

And here's a update on the temps.

Idle
    [​IMG]

Max
    [​IMG]

Items used so far
    Scythe MUSASHI
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8...VGA_Cooler_w_Fan_Speed_Control.html?tl=g40c21

Custom iandh ATI 4870 Memory & VRM cooling kit
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/cuiati48mevr.html

Rosewill RFX-120 120mm Case Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=rosewill_fan_120mm-_-35-200-021-_-Product

Just a few notes.
    Both test in idle were done with lowest allowed mem clock
    Both Max tests were done @ 920\910 with default voltages.
    Fans on the Cooler are running 2000~2200 and one on the VRM running @ 1500RPM.
    FurMark_v1.8.0
    Fullscreen @1920x1080 with stability test, xtreme burning mode \ Displacment mapping, Post effects and x8 AA

In a few days i'll have my hands on a Prolimatech_MK-13 and if all goes well will post the changes.
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...i-Mount_Retention_System_Hot_Item.html?tl=g40

WARNING: The VRM-1/2 are NOT compatible with the Custom iandh ATI 4870 Memory & VRM cooling kit as modification are required to get them both fit ( if you want more detail about it let me know).

O yeah just did it for kicks and was not planing to post this tbh.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    MKmods says thanks.
  2. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
  3. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Picts in the thread please....It would be cool to show everyone what you did to cool a heat producing monster..And the I and h mods too..

(well done):toast:

AsRock says thanks.
  4. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks pretty good but how loud is it?

I use the twin turbo/vrm-1 combo and it's pretty quiet. I tried the TRad2 but the orientation of my board prevented good results.

AsRock says thanks.
  5. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    heres the pics, sorry bad pic was in a hurry, plenty of space b/n stock backplate and accelero

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well i did learn not to rush HA!.. but with having kids and using a dremel don't mix so was working with very limited time.

I don't hear it unless i take the side panel off and get close to it. Other fans in the system i hear more. Although if i put the case fans on max it sounds like it'll take off but witht hem all running around 1500 RPM don't bother me and is waaaay more silent than the default cooler.

Here's 2 pics i found of the older cooler ( MUSASHI ) on it which i modded for a heatsink on a 4870 originally but worked well with the 4890 just as well.

Hopefully get some peace and quite tomorrow no kids or wife HAHA..

And yes i did notice shortly after that a GPU screw and memory screw was a little tighter than needed. Gotta love camera's some times.

Attached Files:

7. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    wow those VRM temps are better than mine and mine are on water! I think mine are making poor contact with the block though they must bet. that thermalright cooler looks sick! to bad im a water junkie and air temps are never good enough for me! right now I have a 120mm blowing across the pcb of both my 4890s and it works nice. how far can you oc with that?? 1ghz is the furthes I have gotten

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but your cooling 2 v cards :p.

Cooler change improved around 3-5c and room temps 0.5f warmer than the 1st ones posted as i remember the thing saying 66.6f ( 19.5c ) lol. I'm sure summer time will add some to it too HA.

All tests were done with the side panel off due to not having a side vent\fan in which with the side panel on would raise the temp 3-5c. Having a hard time finding a side panel for my case or would of got one of those and not to sure about making holes in it either..

Making the VRM1 fit with the ram cooling you can see i got a little carried away were i could of left a little extra on it. Took 1 minute to cut it of and had to get it sorted before the 6 year old returned with more questions lol.

Here's some more pics with results.

Attached Files: