1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4Gb not recognized by BIOS

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by A Cheese Danish, Jan 28, 2008.

1. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    So i just got xp x64 and 2gb more of mushkin ram. And xp nor my bios will recognize 4gb. It only recognizes 3.25gb. Anyone know why that is and how i could fix it? i already have the latest version of my BIOS as far as i can find.

Thanks a bunch

2. cool_recep

cool_recep

Thanks Received:
    As far as i know you have to use Vista X64 for 4 gigs..

3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The 4GB limit is caused by 32bit addressing. Any 64bit OS can address over 4GB, that includes XP64. In fact, it can be done under 32bit OSes as well using PAE, it is a feature to raise the addressing to 36bit.
    Anyway, seeing how the BIOS doesn't detect the modules correctly I would say there is something in the BIOS that affects addressing.

A Cheese Danish says thanks.
  4. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just go into bios and disable memory hole/ or memory mapping whatever term your mobo uses.

A Cheese Danish says thanks.
  5. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! I'll try that once i get home. I'm at school haha. I'll post if it works/doesn't work.

6. Hitsugaya_Toushirou New Member

Thanks Received:
    There was a thread on this topic not too long ago...
    Anyway, just as a note Win XP x64 supports up to 128GiB of RAM, which is kind of a waste of the 64-bit since 128GiB means it's only using 37-bit addressing size...
    If i remember the terms used to find this option in your bios, it's memory remapping rather then memory mapping as Jelle Mees mentioned but i'm sure you would notice. (Well, there might be mobos, which use the term memory mapping so look for anything along those lines.)

7. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Actually, it was disabled and i enabled it and now i got my 4GBs working

8. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    u are luckier than me.. mine never has even with the PAE switch..

still i am happy with 3.4 its way more than 2..

trog

9. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, then :)

10. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I can't find any setting for this on my Gigabyte P35-DS3R..:confused:

11. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    My DS3R shows 4GB on default settings...

12. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Enable memory hole remapping in bios.

13. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Its really only AMD machines that have that in their BIOS. I have yet to hear or see an Intel board that has it. So you can plop in the boards max amount with a 64-bit OS and it will read it right off hand.

14. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, I have it on my P965

Memory Remap Feature: Disabled/Enabled

With it disabled bios sees 3008MB and XP same, with it enabled bios sees 4096MB, but XP just 2GB :) With x64 OS it should work just fine.

15. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Really now...new one on me. :ohwell:

16. sam0t New Member

Thanks Received:
    Has anybody got knowledge how much XP as an OS gains from > 2GB main memory ?

I have understanded that the performance gain going over 2GB with XP is minimal.

17. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is no performance gain. In fact, only one announced game will require more then 2GB, and that's Assasins Creed. If you don't have more then 2GB, the game will stutter on high resolutions with AA enabled.

18. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    He didn't even mention gaming. Besides, there are plenty of games capable of using mroe than 2GB, actually needing it is a different issue. Also, other programs use up memory as well. So when multitasking it does help.

19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Photoshop and CAD are 2 programs off the top of my head that can benefit from more than 2GB of ram. Preferably using the /3GB switch on 32bit Windows.

20. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    no, microsoft just limited it at 128GiB, hench server 2003 x64 supports over 128GiB
    so its just a limit m$ sets to get people to buy 2003 hehe

btw here is a little guide to xp x64
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc

3.25GB is max with the memory mapping thingy and that PAE on
    there is some fix around that shows you 4.00GB but in reality its only 3.25 becose 32-bit cant allow more

if you dont wanna have any problems with memory amount above 2GB get a AMD64 aka x64(64-bit) windows like Windows XP Professional x64 Editon or Windows Vista x64 (you can buy oem with 64-bit only on DVD or retail with both 64-bit and 32-bit on DVD)

i have used XP x64 and Vista x64 without any problems, so if youn are gonna switch, check if you printer, scanner has 64-bit drivers

most manufacturs has 64-bit drivers now, atleast AMD, ATI, NVIDIA, Realtek, ULI, Intel, Creative
    if you chose vista x64, that has most drivers even more than xp x64 and 2003
    xp x64 is windows 2003 x64 with just another skin, it uses the exact same kernel, just some diffrent programs, heck they share the same service pack

PS i have run 64-bit Windows since xp x64 beta in 2003-2004 and i havnt had any problems
    64-bit windows is even more stable and secure aka 32-bit viruses cant understand 64-bit binaires
    and you can run 32-bit software via WOW64 emulator without any performace inpacks

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  21. Hitsugaya_Toushirou New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want, you could make windows xp load the kernel and drivers to RAM rather than pagefiles since this would increase the speed of your system overall. Also having a larger system cache would also be good. This 2 things will increase your RAM usage but if you want to get a good performance increase from the 4GiB of RAM then these 2 are worth doing.
    To make windows load the kernel and drivers to RAM just change this registry key to 1:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\DisablePagingExecutive
    To give windows a larger system cache then change this registry to 1:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache

If you want to go even further then change any other settings to move all your things in your Pagefile to go into RAM instead and then set page file size to 0.

Moving everything from pagefiles to RAM will increase the speed a lot since the HHD is way slower then RAM.

22. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    But some programs require a pagefile (Photoshop). And even if you disable your pagefile, Windows makes a temporary one, so it still caches something to disk, regardless. The only true way to move everything into ram would be to make a ram disk in the extra space.