1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4ghz Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by 3dsage, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    :roll: yeah, it might be a chore! lol.. I think you'll do just fine. Those boards are sweet as x38, and I know you know your way around a Bios or two! lol... So, I don't think you'll have trouble. Just may take, some time! lol.. Man, I'm waiting on my build to be done.. That way I can go further then I am now.. I'm running stock since I work 12+ hours a day.. Not worth 4.2ghz if your not going to use it. IMO!

2. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks, y'all.

Anyhow, this is the highest she'll go:

[​IMG]

The board simply won't handle a BUS higher than 475. She'll POST at 476-479, but won't remain anywhere near stable. A BUS of 480 won't even POST . . . so, it looks like I found the max this X38 and board can handle :p

4. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    good job, but thats a pretty good BUS speed for a X38 I shall say, am I wrong?

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    my x48 was the same, higher NB volts (1.6-1.7v) solved it. You may need to raise VTT as well, and if that dont help start messing with the GTL ref.

6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

yeah, I had tried all that . . . slowly pushing up NSB, GTL, FSB term voltage, etc.

After 475, she just becomes extremelly unstable, 480 won't even POST. I also tried stepping down the DRAM speed a step, lowering the multi (which, BTW, this half-step multi kicks ass!!!), and all else I could think of . . .

Doing some research on the net - it seems other users can hit a 500FSB with the board . . . but they're all running dualie procs - I've yet to see anyone with a quad post CPU-Z higher than 450-475. IDK . . . I'll probably fiddle with it some more this upcoming weekend . . .

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    in 65nm, my Q6600 had a cap at 430 FSB while most dualies did 450. same board, new CPU and i can do 475 with ease. So yeah, your CPU probably has a limit... but hell, you're still getting good clocks.

8. Oliver New Member

Thanks Received:
    Am I in.........

guess i'm in...........usually run a 3.4 cpu speed ad 3.8 bus speed though:rolleyes:
    Oliver| e6700 |414 ghz |Zalmann 9500 |

[​IMG]

3dsage says thanks.
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    414GHz, nice nice.

CPU-Z shows 3.7Ghz, memset shows 414Mhz ram (828Mhz DDR)

I think you failed at counting.

10. hoss331

hoss331 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to see what that chip can really do get a P45. :toast:

11. Oliver New Member

Thanks Received:
  12. haha216 Guest

Finally i'm in da club. Took me months to get stable at 4Ghz+. Thought i had a bad chip at first but the problem was solved after trading in my XFX 780i for an Asus. Can't believe how much better Asus are for stability then XFX, who i had purchased 4 boards from and put my faith in for years! Reckon i could get a bit more out of her, probs around 4.5Ghz, but would not like to find out the stupid voltages i would need.

Attached Files:

13. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    This was my 4.5ghz

[​IMG]

this was my 4.77ghz

[​IMG]

So far I've done a bout a have way threw 06 and Vantage with the 1.6v (same in Bios no droop).. Once I have my system going in the new case, I'll go with more testing..

glad your in the club man! :toast:

14. haha216 Guest

Do you think it is better (stability at a lower voltage) to go with a higher multiplier and lower FSB? I have never really wanted to put the multiplier over 11x, but i suppose they wouldn't give the option if it wasn't safe. Looking at your overclock it seems like it might be a good idea to try. Will give it a go and let you know.

15. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    The way I look at it.. you got a unlocked multi, so go at it.. I got it stable at 4.5ghz. But, I really don't need to have 4.5ghz going at all times.. I'll go 4.0ghz.. When you go higher Multi, you can use less volts due to lower FSB.. so, it's good on a board like my 780i where it has a FSB hole. I really don't see a difference in speed or anything else via a higher Multi and lower fsb... I got 9.9 for pi run... at 4.77ghz...

another screen for ya.. mine at 4.0ghz

[​IMG]

Then for 4.2ghz

[​IMG]

I think the difference between 4ghz and 4.2ghz is a little more on the nb to get it stable running.. it wasn't till 4.5 that I went with more at a higher multi.

16. CAPITAL LETTERS

CAPITAL LETTERS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  17. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    nice one Capital! what's the set up???

18. CAPITAL LETTERS

CAPITAL LETTERS New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a ASUS Maximus II Formula Motherboard with a custom liquid cooling setup, GTX280
    i may need to update my user CP lol, its still on my old set up

19. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Your system specs don't show.. But, nice set up! I was thinking of getting a Max II board to just let this chip roll! Might still.. My uncle is going to use my Maximus/Rampage board, till I decide on what board ot get him.. lol

20. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    CS 4.77 gHZ??? thats insane :eek:

21. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    meh . . . I'd rather have full x16/x16 Crossfire support than not. I can easily deal with lower CPU clocks, knowing that my GPUs are running like the doped-up, coked-up, sex-deprived gorillas that they are :p

From my experience, even with a lower BUS, but a higher multi, still requires joosed up vcore (although, not as much as if you kept the multi the same and just raised the BUS).

Personally, Intel systems seem to benefit a lot more from higher BUS clocks, than they do higher CPU clocks. For example, you could lock in the BUS at 450, and vary the multiplier from it's lowest setting, up, and only notice a marginal difference in performance . . . whereas, using the multi to lock in a specific clock speed (3.6, for example), and raise or lower the BUS will note a drastic difference in overall performance . . . . not just in CPU-intensive tasks, but even graphic benches, DRAM-intensive tasks, even audio capabilities.

IMHO, the higher multis of the QX series only enable the user to reach much higher CPU clocks than a standard Q proc could at the same BUS frequency . . . it's cool for bragging rights, but not much else, IMO.

agreed . . . and at 1.36 vcore - awesome, man! :toast:

22. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys. :toast: But, it was at 1.6v.. lol...

Yeah, you do have a point on the thoughts IMP. Glad to see that 4.2 screen shot man!!

23. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    1.6v is a ton . . . oddly, those CPUz screenies show 1.3 . . .

Anyhow, I still haven't exhausted all my options, yet . . . there's still a ton of BIOS options I've never had need to mess with on this board before (e.g. clock skew, transaction boost, PCIE freq, etc.) . . . I intend to experiment with these settings, and see if they could help achieve a higher FSB.

I still have more voodoo up my sleeve :p

24. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Post 338 shows 1.6... lol.. yeah, it's some volts, but it was just thrown in about 3 hours before I got that.. Just testing the waters! lol

dude, I would be sh1tting my self if you didn't/couldn't get any more out of that chip!

25. hoss331

hoss331 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is my current stable 24/7 clock, I have a better rad coming friday so I can squeeze some more out of it.

[​IMG]

3dsage says thanks.