1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4gig decreasing overclock

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by spixel, Nov 16, 2007.

1. spixel New Member

Thanks Received:
    rightio i have 2gig muskin xp2 6400 running at 390mhz dual chan 1:1

i heard 4gig decreases overclock. is that only ram overclock or actual cpu as im running my ram lower than stock. i was thinking this cause i have 2 gig of cellshock 6400 . should i throw those in or would dual chan perform better :} ty
  2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    the decrease happens based on the number of memory slots used, not exactly the amount of memory. if you have all 4 slots, that'll really put a strain on the chipset, which will cause you not to get as good of an overclock.
  3. mortal New Member

Thanks Received:
    If all 4 memory has the same chips i can not see the reason why they can not overclcok the same as 2x1gb.
  4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    it will still do dual channel if you have slots 1/3 with the one set and 2/4 with the other and the ram will not decrease cpu performance the ram performance drop you thinking of is wiht old NF4 mobos that forced 2T timings with 4sticks of DDR1 this will be fine you wont have any drop in perf at all BUT if your on XP it will only use 3gb of the ram it doesnt support 4gb