1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5.1 for my PC

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by RaZzZz, Feb 1, 2012.

1. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    Right lads,

Here's the story, I'm looking to get a fairly basic 5.1 setup to connect to my PC, as I've NO idea whatsoever about Audio stuff I will indeed need help ;p

Here are the two systems I've come across,

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/...cat_19780832|Home+cinema+systems|14419691.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/...cat_19780832|Home+cinema+systems|14419691.htm

I'd prefer the Second one as it has a few extra features and it looks nicer ;p

My question is simple.. can I connect these to my PC??

Any comments will go a long way to helping me out ^^

Cheers in advance.

2. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Dear chap,

I've nothing to constructive to contribute to your post, so I'll take this time to inquire about something else; how many women in Ireland look like Janet Devlin and/or Dominique McElligott?

Sincerely,
    A chap

3. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    Lol well they do exist but they are rare and usually far up their own arses to really consider.. especially McElligott types ;)

4. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    To quote the late Peter Cook..."fahking cahnts".

Oh...I see.

They likely weren't so far up their arses prior to second wave feminism. The sexual liberation of second wave feminism also allowed women to fully exercise their mate choice and, if you've done any research in the area of mate choice, you know exactly what they looks like.

WHAT THE HELL AM I ON ABOUT?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  5. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    My uncle has the Samsung but Bluray, it isn't half bad, make sure your PC can connect to it though. Never really been a fan of anything LG :eek:

6. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    what does your pc have for a sound card or motherboard?

Does it have optical or digital out?

depending on your awnser will determine if you should use home audio vs computer audio

7. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    I have the Xonar D2 and it has those S/PDIF input and output ports, although I could probably use my graphics card and connect via HDMI without much fuss I'd assume??

8. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    I have 5.1, but to be honest 3.1 is just as good unless you have a place to mount the rear speakers and not get in the way.

9. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    I've a small room so those rears will have a lovely home ;)

10. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Xonar would have better sound quality i think but HDMi is easy 1 wire connection, you could always try both and see what sound's better

RaZzZz says thanks.
  11. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    I wish I could recommend you the system I have, but unfortunately they don't make these anymore. You can buy the surround speakers for a home that are ~the same, but they cost more than this entire setup used to cost :(..... let alone getting a sub and amp.

RaZzZz says thanks.
  12. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
  13. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    If you use your Xonar it should emmulate 5.1 from stereo source, i think :laugh:

RaZzZz says thanks.
  14. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    so here is what you need to do.

If you buy the home audio gear, sell the xonar and get some higher end gear, the hdmi will pass the digital audio to the home receiver and it will do the processing of the surround sound.

If you are going to keep the soundcard, then drop the idea of home audio and get a 5.1 or 7.1 computer speaker set. Im sure you could get some really good recomendations on here

RaZzZz says thanks.
  15. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    An interesting idea actually..

What 5.1 setup could I get for the PC?? can you give me one example and then I can go off and do my research ^^

16. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
  17. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the link, I'll root through it there ;p the THX certificate is already impressing me :L

18. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Isn't marketing great! The 906 look's good aesthetically, never heard 1 so can't comment on it's sound quality. A stand alone speaker setup is a good suggestion provided your PC can play whatever media you want. I still think the Xonar has the SQ edge compared to the HDMI out on the GFX card.

IMHO HDMI audio is only really necessary if wanting DTS master audio (Bluray) or you REALLY want 1 wire hook-up. For anything else analogue/SPDIF connection is just fine

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    RaZzZz says thanks.
  19. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    You can pass the digital 5.1 or greater soundtracks from your PC via either a recent video card with a HDMI output or a soundcard, either on the motherboard or an add-in, with a optical or coax output. If you want to send a digital 5.1 game soundtrack from your PC, you need a soundcard with the Dolby Digital Live feature. Without this feature, you will only be able to send a stereo soundtrack from your PC to the surround sound system. The surround sound system will then use a Dolby Pro Logic feature (if it has it) to simulate 5.1 from the stereo sound you are feeding it from your PC. You can send 5.1 analog sound for both movies and games from your PC just by using the analog jacks, but you will not have control over the levels and delays unless you have software that gives you such control.

RaZzZz says thanks.
  20. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    The O/P is running a Xonar D2 so the card is QUITE capable ;)

21. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    I use COWAN MEdia Centre which will allow for certain control, my brother use it for his proper HiFi setup and tells me to use COWAN + HDMI to get the best results.

Very useful information I'm getting from this lads ;p but as you mentioned earlier I can just text Analog and HDMI and see for myself which is best ^^

22. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I was gonna suggest taking a look at the z5500's but i see the price has doubled/trippled in the last 18 month's!! I don't think the z906 has HDMI capability i think you would need something like in your first post or a stand alone AVR (audio video receiver) and separate speak's to use HDMI

I'd stick with the Xonar, it's designed specifically for sound and has a low SNR i think 118db. Let the GFX do the GFX and the audio do the audio, just my $0.02 :eek:

SPDIF over optical is a clean signal and has great SQ, it is also 1 wire connection

23. RaZzZz

RaZzZz

Thanks Received:
    Agreed ^^ no point wasting my sound card I suppose ;p

An Optical connection would've been lovely but I'll make do without it this time ^^ I have my 5.1 headset for such things anyway ;) :L

24. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    You could connect SPDIF over coax to that Sammy using your Xonar but i'd see about maybe finding those z906's (seem's like they are reviewed well) locally and if the price is the same or close i'd go with those. You could always add a BDrom to your PC if you wanted to go that route.

One thing i just thought of was that Sammy does upconverting of standard DVD's i think, but you would need to connect HDMI for that i think so audio card become's null. I'm not a fan of upconverting but that's just me :eek: I could be wrong.

RaZzZz says thanks.
  25. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    programs like powerdvd can upconvert dvd.. so no loss there

RaZzZz says thanks.