1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5.1 Headset

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by andyr2005, Aug 26, 2008.

1. andyr2005

andyr2005 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Well, this is my first post here, and I am looking for a bit of pre-sales advice on 5.1 headphones.

Basically, I have purchased a Razer Barracuda HP-1 headset, and I am not impressed to say the least, and these are by far, not the best headphones for gamers, as stated by the manufacturer.

The bass on the front speakers of the headset is fine, as is the normal audio in music and games etc.

However, once you play 5.1 content from a game or dvd etc, the rear speaker and center speaker show extreme lack in ability to do much. They for example have no bass effect what so ever, and their audi is just flat. You can tell a difference in audio if you do a 360 pan in a game even with the bass off, and voices even sound different in the rear than the front.

Basically, I am wanting some opinions on the Medusa 5.1 ProGamers or TurtleBeach EarForce HPA2.

Like, for example, do they suffer from poor bass, or have any of the problems I have mentioned above etc.

Any comments appreciated.

Andrew.
  2. slicksickwilly New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. FLOODER

FLOODER New Member

Thanks Received:
    Riga<Latvia<Europe<Planet Earth<Solar System<Milky
    Hey, andyr2005!
    So my opinion about Medusa 5.1 series is: WOW! I gave the Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset for the friend of mine. And we were shocked of the way they sound. Basically, I do not have big experience in audio area, and it's really complicated me to compare the quality of Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset with another brand. But, they were much way better than the common audio headset. It was like the new level of my audio knowledge, and like an amateur I can tell you that Medusa 5.1 is fantastic headset!
    Fist of all we though that we ordered Medusa 5.1 ProGamer. But we have got Medusa 5.1 Surrond, like I said. And that isn't a bad thing... No... It was a big plus! We got an amplifier with many cool output/input stuff which you can use for parallel connection of the headset and your speakers. That means that you don't need to unplug your headphones every time you want to blast you room with deep sound of speakers. Also there are more cords without the USB and all that junk...
    So what about TurtleBeach and Razer headsets? I even don't know how they sounds! But I strongly recommend you the Speed-link. I'm going to buy them as well. Only the Home Edition. The difference between the ProGamer is the amplifier, like the Surrond has, but it's harder to find Surround nowadays and the amplifier of the Home Edition looks cooler. So if you are thinking about the Speed-link, I reccomend you to pay few pounds/dollars more and get the Surrond/Home edtion. :toast:
    PS. Sorry for my mistakes, if I had any.
  4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Turtle Beach HPA2's are kickass..comfy, can go very loud, good bass, adjustable levels and volume, and just sound great. I use em for gaming, music and movies, works very well with on-board and X-Fi's. Also has detatchable mic that records loud n' clear.

Best headset I've used or dealt with yet! Dunno if you can get em' over that way, but in the US I got mine for around $60 shipped from Dell.
  5. andyr2005

andyr2005 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Well, thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I have done a bit research and am 90% decided on purchasing a pair of Seinheisser PC350's. Play.com have just collected the Barracudas' this morning, so has any one got any last feedback on the PC350's?
  6. Specsaver New Member

Thanks Received:
    So you have decided against actual 5.1 set, right? PC350s are a stereo pair arent they?