1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5.1 or 7.1 headset

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by jellyrole, Apr 23, 2014.

1. jellyrole

jellyrole

Thanks Received:
    Which one should I get? I got the Sennheiser G4MR ZERO headset and it sounds like crap to me..it just doesn't have the depth that I'd like...so that's why I'm here..I like to listen to music and play games and I'm looking for a nice and full sounding headset that has a mic on it as well. I'm looking to stay under 250 and I'm looking to buy a sound card as well.
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I find that my Sennheiser HD 280 Pros sound pretty nice. It's not a headset but they're monitor headphones and I feel that their response is pretty flat. They have a package for converting it to a headset though. I figured I would recommend them because they sound great. What good are 7 channels if they all sound bad? I would rather have two channels that sounds great.
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    +1

I've had true 5.1 headsets...and really sound card + good pair of headphones = WIN. Check the headphone thread in my sig. We've been about it on TPU for years.

My favorite cheap combo was the Asus Xonar DG (I think...it was the PCI version...but was $30!) and a pair of JVC HA-RX700's for $34, took my turtle beach HPA2's boom mic and was set.

There are also some very good sounding headsets out there too...I can't recall but I do know there was a very good review FrederikS here on TPU has posted not long ago...I'll post the link if I can dig it up.

What's your budget? What kind of gaming you do? So you want something on ear or around ear? Do you need much bass?
  4. jellyrole

jellyrole

Thanks Received:
    I would like some bass..what I'm looking for a nice and balance sound. $400 is my budget

EDIT: They need to be somewhat comfortable too.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Comfort and bass are a per-person basis. But usually felt pads, medium to low clamp pressure (though no good for fast head turning or movements or small domes).

I really really recommend you get a decent sound card or usb dac and an HP amp...and a decent pair of headphones. My HE-400 + Denon AVR-1613 combo is about $500 though. But well well well worth it imho.

Do you need any sound isolation? Open back headphones have better imaging, sound stage...really nice in games...but let so much outside noise in. Closed back have more bass and can reduce outside noise disturbance, but have a smaller sound. There's also ported...which many closed back really are in my experience...which are in between depending on how open the ports are.

Some Sennheisers might be worth a look..Denon D2000's are great...but no longer made, have a few weak links..and cost too much imho. There's so many options.

Here's the link to the Q-Pad's that reviewed super well here on TPU...probably the closest really good heapdhones as a headset with mic you'll get this side of Sennheiser or Beyerdynamics releases.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/QPAD/QH-90/

For that kind of money does music matter? Movies? Primarily gaming? How much tune-a-bility do you want?
  6. rooivalk

rooivalk

Thanks Received:
    Too much bass is disliked in (competitive) gaming. It mask the sound of footsteps and few other small sounds.
    I think most 'Gaming' headset is built that way (strong mid and rather recessive bass). Maybe that's why you think Zero sounds like crap.

I suggest you opt instead for an audiophile headphone with sound signature of your liking, and there are a lot of cheap mics out there (Zalman clip-on mic for example, under $20 I think).
    Maybe you'll like Beyerdynamics DT770 or DT990. Both have emphasize in Bass (one is closed and the other is open).
    For soundcard, I agree with Kursah, Xonar DG (or DGX for PCIe variant) is cheap, has Dolby Headphone (For surround sound emulation), and has Headphone Amp to drive the Beyerdynamics.
  7. Lopez0101

Thanks Received:
    Audio-Technica M50's are pretty popular and well regarded if you want a little bit extra bass response.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ULAP4U/?tag=tec06d-20

From most things I've read "5.1/7.1" headphones typically don't sound that great since it's just built in virtualization.
    Hilux SSRG says thanks.
  8. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    if you dont have a good amp inside the soundcard you cant push at is full the sennheiser gamer zero so buy a good soundcard with a good amp like the asus xonar one .
    I have the corsair vengeance 1500 v2 and they are good but only for comfort and gaming but for music you have to play with the equalizer for good sound xd.
  9. arskatb

arskatb

Thanks Received:
    If you have money to spent and you want best you can have, buy ASTRO A50
    Capitan Harlock says thanks.
  10. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    please nope really if he need good audio buy a good pair of headphone + amp/dac is the best thing but not overpriced astro please
  11. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I personally found that a good combo was an AD700 and an Astro Mixamp. and a Zalman Mic that attaches to the cable makes it a pretty nice combo. I've learned to just really stay away from anything that says "gaming" headphones and the only plus side from buying those headsets is that everything is right there don't have to buy things separately, but to me thats about it. With gaming headphones (least from my experience) you lose a lot of sound quality, and they are all flimsy as hell. AD700's have a great soundstage and paired with a mixamp they get that extra boost. I think someone recommended an Astro A50, and what I gathered from those headsets are they are overpriced, sound quality sounds terrible, way too much bass. The only thing I feel that is worth getting from astro is the mixamp but thats 150 alone......they are 80-85 to me.

anyways, my votes go to ad700, if you think you'd want more bass then Sennheiser 598. Even the AD900 would be a great buy.

I also saw that your budget was 400, so Q701 should be put in there, they do need an AMP/DAC. here are some that go great with that:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M172FY/?tag=tec06d-20
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070UFMOW/?tag=tec06d-20
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CICPMA6/?tag=tec06d-20

The mixamp for the Q701 is a hit or miss to some, I found that I enjoyed my onboard sound more than the mixamp for my Q701, probably cause my onboard had a better amp.

In the end your choice, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But I really would like you ....and most people.....to not have "gaming headsets"...again thats just me and they're all terrible to me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S332TQ/?tag=tec06d-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006OQY2S/?tag=tec06d-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A8CW2/?tag=tec06d-20
    Keep in mind, if you grab AD700/AD900 OR Senn 598 you don't really need an amp but, it will only increase with your overall sound quality (if you want one of course but you don't NEED it)

Forgot Q701

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004444O3W/?tag=tec06d-20
  12. Lopez0101

Thanks Received:
    +1 on any Schiit gear. I have the Bifrost/Lyr combo, way out of your price range once you add the headphones, but Schiit makes good gear.

I've also had the ATH-700's and used them for a while before I went up to the 1000x's. That is also a good pair of headphones.
  13. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ These are great. I own them and highly recommend. Audio Technica has a good line of professional and casual/gaming products.
  14. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I bought the Turtle Beach Ear Force Charlie 5.1 headset off Woot for a relatively inexpensive price. I definitely wish I had gone with something else, but I still use them. Despite being a true 5.1 headset, the rear speakers don't give the surround sound feeling you expect, giving a more "slightly less in the front" sound. The center channel is similar, giving a "slightly more in front" sound. It's also hard to forget the abysmal, muddy and bass that oh-so-easily hits the point of overexcursion.
    You're likely to have better luck with two half-decent speakers than you will with eight cheap speakers.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    you might aswell stick with a 5.1 set, guaranteed to stay under 250
  16. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  17. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
  18. arskatb

arskatb

Thanks Received:
    i bet you dont own or havent never tested astro headphones?
    pls read thread title, ppl start speaking about audiophile ( for that I have other set, Sennheiser hd600, Meier Audion Corda Airietta, Stefan AudioArtin Equinox)

ps. every virtual 5.1/7.1 sounds terrible in my opinion
  19. jellyrole

jellyrole

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm..options..

Actually, I lost my Creative USB card.
  20. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
  21. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    I agree with all the folks saying 5.1 /7.1 cans are crap.

Get a decent headphone amp (Schiit Manga/Vali) and a nice pair of reasonable reference headphones

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DP8IEK/?tag=tec06d-20

and enjoy the beauty of true stereo, just like your ears are designed for.
  22. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    You need two. One for gaming and one for music. You need either a really good sound card to push the cans or you need an external dac/amp.

Hell if you have a stereo receiver laying around that would work great! It just needs optical or coax digital in.

I have a number of cans at home. For my rock, metal and classical i use Grado 325s. For my digital bass heavy, rap, pop I use Sony MDR-XB700. For my wireless needs I use a set of Senns (forgot the model) and for gaming voip duties I use a wireless/wired Sony Pulse Elite (which by the way works amazingly well both mic and speakers. Wireless mode lasts around 5-6 hours straight and when it needs to be charged just plug it in and keep going.

I have several other sets of cans too but of all of them I use the ones listed above the most.

I then run a digital coax line to a Harman/Kardon HK3490. Using stereo cans off that amp is simply fantastic. My Sony pulse elite can be attached to the HK via a 3.5mm male/male cable or wirelessly through my pc via a USB dongle.

The Sony has the option of virtual surround sound which surprisingly works fairly okay. I use it in stereo mode though when using with a pc. This unit also has a built in bass shaker that works awesome with the ps3/ps4 and decent with the pc. It has a slider to control the bass shaker level. The mic is built into the left side cup and is flush. It works very very well too. Lots of features including that it works (designed for really) the PS3 and PS4. My only complaint that is the volume doesn't get loud enough for me. It's almost like they have a built in limiter (which makes sense if they don't want us over pushing the amp) but if I bypass the built in amp and use the 3.5mm cable attached to the phono jack of my HK it gets a lot louder but BUT the SQ is nowhere near any of my other cans for the most part; (when really cranking the volume)

For bass my Sony MDR-XB700 cans are amazing. These cans can play any bass I have at any volume level I want and they never break up. Just solid head crushing bass. of course with so much bass you are left with a very un-natural experience. When i need accurate, fairly natural sound I yank out the grados. They lack the bass and have more of a punchy low end and some think they are a little in the bright side but all in all they are fantastic with certain types of music; classical, metal, acoustical etc..

Well I don't know if I helped or not but I'm going to bolt....
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  23. jellyrole

jellyrole

Thanks Received:
    Well..I finally got the ASUS Xonar Essence STX and some Sennheiser HD 598's..headset should be here tomorrow and the sound card is amazing!
  24. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    spending close to $200 on a poorly designed sound card now 7 years old was a huge mistake. The Sennheiser HD5XX and PC series headsets all use the same driver.

you should have bought the Xonar DG or Schiit Vali and Modi.
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  25. arskatb

arskatb

Thanks Received:
    partly true, but old can still be way better then new, for example sennheiser HD600 is still way much better then many same price headphones