• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5.1 speakers & SoundBlaster Live! 5.1

System Name Phantom
Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard Asus Z97-P
Cooling Stock Intel heatsink
Memory 16GB Kingston 1333MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon R9 390X
Storage 250GB Samsung SSD, 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm
Display(s) Iiyama GB2788HS
Case NZXT Phantom white/red
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z/Roccat Kave 5.1
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
Mouse Roccat Kone+
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
I recently picked up a set of 5.1 analogue speakers on the cheap, and thought that it might be time I dug out the old SB card I had lying around for the last few years. I bought it when I built my first pc but discarded it upon first installing XP to balk at the terrible drivers. Since then I've been using nothing but motherboard sound, and that's always been fine with me. Now, however, when I bought the speakers, I thought that using a true 5.1 card might benefit me.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I ran into trouble setting the speakers up, and that the card I had didn't actually support 5.1 speakers (model SBCT4780) and went back to the onboard sound chip, which actually does support 5.1, and very nicely, too. However, it turned out that I'd plucked the wrong card from my collection of pc hardware lying around the room - I didn't even know I'd had two sound cards, never mind two Live!'s... no idea where the second one came from. I found the original one two days ago, and I recognised it immediately as the original card I bought. I decided, what the heck, I'd give it a try.

So now, here I am. I've installed the card and set up the speakers correctly, and everything should be hunky dory. But it isn't. Everything is as it was on my onboard chip (Realtek AC'97), but on the speaker setup of the program that came with it, it had the option of reversing the centre/subwoofer channel. Otherwise, it would treat the subwoofer as the centre speaker, and ignore the real speaker altogether. This is what the SBLive! is doing right now, and I cannot see any option to reverse the channels... I don't suppose anyone can help?

Addendum - PowerDVD lists only either a 2.1 speaker setup, or surround sound through a S/PDIF connection. As I'm using analogue, I obviously don't have a S/PDIF connection. What can I do to get 5.1 sound out of my DVD's?

k0rn_h0li0

Processor Amd opteron socket 940 250 sledgehammer 2.4ghz x2
Motherboard amd k8t master2 far
Cooling msi k8t stock heatsinks
Memory 2x1gig random ecc ram
Video Card(s) ati x1600 512mb agp pro 8x
Storage seagate 2x200 gig hdd
Display(s) dunno
Case aprevia navigator
Audio Device(s) creative pro 5.1 sorround
Power Supply antec 500 watt psu
Software windows xp media center 2005
- sound blaster live 5.1 should support your system for your computer just install the driver if you can find the cd if not go to their site.

- playing the dvd on your computer is totally different from your system. the only way you get get 5.1 sorround sound on your dvd is if you set up your stereo and you dvd player to that setting. you can't put 5.1 sorround sound on dvd its not possible because audio is encoded on the movie whichever it is. hopefully that will answer your question

System Name Phantom
Motherboard Asus Z97-P
Mouse Roccat Kone+
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
I have the correct drivers downloaded from the Creative website. I also have the original cd but it is so old that it doesn't carry any XP drivers. The card is model SB0060.

As for PowerDVD, you mean that I can only get stereo sound even on a DVD disc, such as Star Wars - Revenge Of The Sith, for example, that supports 5.1?

k0rn_h0li0

Display(s) dunno
Case aprevia navigator
oh the model is so old it doesn't support xp. ouch well i got mines for about 20 bux for the 5.1 sorround and its just a simple one. you can probably find it for like 5 or 10 somewhere online.

yeah powerdvd can't put 5.1 sorround sound on the dvd. if you play the disc its already at 5.1 sorround which is what your setting your system up for. just get a new sound card hook it up viola 5.1 sorround sound on your computer. not the disc your computer

System Name Phantom
Motherboard Asus Z97-P
Mouse Roccat Kone+
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
No, the sound card does support XP, I'm using the XP drivers downloaded straight from the Creative website. All I need now is the ability in software to be able to reverse the centre/subwoofer channel.

k0rn_h0li0

Display(s) dunno
Case aprevia navigator
ic ic. doesn't it come with some sort of program that can set your computer to enable your subwoofer? might want to check control panel and look for that folder for your sound card blah