1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5.1 surround sound speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Altered, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    Thought I would just ask if anybody knows or has had a good experience with some good speakers. The best for the price is what I'm looking for. Maybe $400 and lower. Cheaper the better, great sound is better but if a $200 set is really good Id rather do that than spend double for something that is just a fraction better, if you know what I'm getting at.
    Probably about 1/2 the time for used movies the other 1/2 for Gaming on the PC.

Any thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks
  2. redroodog New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey there, you asked a great question and I have the answer!! I finally settled with these and boy they sure hit the spot. Perfect for Gaming, Movies, surround sound and the quality from these are something that I cannot explain in words. Dont get me wrong, I have some really high quality home stuff that I paid sick amounts of dollars for, but I love clean, loud sound. Here is the link to the manufacturer, but shop around, I got two sets of these 5.1's and the cheaper set was the best set. They sound the same, but both used, one more than the other. You probably can get a good used set from someone desperate on ebay for 200 or less. No further explanation,,, just read on. You cannot go wrong with these. Logitech Z-5500.. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=us,en
  3. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Or if the z5500 is too pricey for you, logitech's x540 or x530 can do the job nicely too.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
  5. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I have to thoroughly agree with the Z-5500 recommendation!
  6. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Hands down Z-5500 i would still buy these if they where $200 more ive had mine for over 4 years now and they haven't failed me yet.
    Even tho there usually at 50% volume or more with the sub kicked up ive even ran them at max volume for a few party's and they still sound as good as the day i bought them, which amazes me as i ran through speakers like sneakers till i got these.
  7. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Ironically, the fact that I blew a set of 5500s leads to why I recommend them. It took four hours of them blasting at full boost, with a maxed input signal to blow during one particularly crazy party, and Logitech sent me a new set after a five-minute phone call, only requiring me to send the control module to them. They back the 5500s up solidly and to me that makes all the difference in the world.

Oh, and really quite good sound, and power. :laugh:
  8. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    z-5500s got my dad a set as a early b-day gift and he loves them. he primary uses them for tv and music but they sound great.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    Awesome guys! You make the choice easier being it looks like everyone has similar favorites. Ill check them out and see what looks good and take a shot.
  11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    AsRock and shevanel say thanks.
  12. majestic12

majestic12

Thanks Received:
    As far as computer speakers go, the z5500 is about is good as it gets. In overall speaker quality though, component systems blow them out of the water. With the cost considerations, I'd try to find a low priced receiver (here's a low-end Onkyo for $160: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115193 ) and these lower end Polk speakers:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290066

Better yet, it's a stereo tuner, can be used to stream other HDMI signals to a monitor, can have several more components hooked up, can go louder and cleaner, etc. You get the idea!
  13. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    Those component systems people have been posting are definitely better than those Z5500. Both are great, but if you're gonna spend the money, the system majestic12 mentioned is excellent.

However, if you don't mind getting something used, that might be an even better route. I went on Craigslist and built my system with all used components, and I've never looked back. I was able to grab:

Yamaha RX-V630 Receiver
    Custom 3-Way Front Speakers (I really don't know the components, but I've only heard a few sets of speakers that are better, and I've seen SEVERAL real hi-fi systems)
    Acoustic Research AR-4X rears
    Velodyne CHT-12 Sub
    For $275.

As long as you know what you're buying and as long as you're able to examine the equipment, you can build a pretty serious system on a budget. Hope that helps.
  14. redroodog New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just as I mentioned, the Z5500 is not the top of the line stuff, its great for the money. I do agree there are lots of other stuff out there that will blow them out of the water, but you just cant argue for the money, they are worth it. Brand new out of the box from the company they go for 365, I got mine used, but not used if you know what I mean.
  15. redroodog New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hybrid Theory... Dude you have a Home Theater system with an Onkyo reciever.. were not talking apples and oranges here. Were talking about PC speakers. Of course a home theater system will sound better.
  16. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    redroodog: those Z5500's are good for the money. But why would you go with that if the HT setup is better and the same price?
  17. redroodog New Member

Thanks Received:
    SnoopKat: I would just find it difficult to put a reciever on my desk.
  18. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    You need a fairly sized desk. my reciever is under my desk as is my sub and front speakers. (front speakers were too big on the desk for now, and cant crowd it at this time). i have the center, side and back on desk
  19. redroodog New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am going to bet that it sounds really awesome! Im a WOW freak too.... Enjoy
  20. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    Putting it sideways next to your computer may not be bad either. After all, you already have a giant box there :p