1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5000+ Blacky Overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by CrackerJack, Mar 30, 2008.

1. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    I've yet to find the best and stable clocks. I can be running fine 200x16, but when i go to render in adobe it will crash. The cpu gets to hot!!!:banghead: But i fix that, doing alittle adjustments to the fans in my case.

But anyway, I guess my biggest question is. What's better higher memory clocks or cpu clocks? I would like to have atleast 3ghz cpu and around 420mhz-450mhz memory speeds. I think one problem i have is my board. In amd overdrive i can't see my cpu temps. I'm having to use CoreTemp.

Here's my cooling specs

ZALMAN 9500A 92mm & 2 Thermaltake 120mm
    [​IMG]

And modded the front for better air flow
    [​IMG]

The exhaust fan in blow air in on the zalman. And zalman is blowing torwards the front. I did have it the other way. But i switch it to this setup i drop almost 10c. :twitch: But anyway the bottom 120mm fan is blowing air in. And same with the 120mm on the window.

If have any idea's or anything thing that would work better. Yet me know please. I've started to run out of ideas.

Thanks

2. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    You are creating a negative air current inside. The rule is
    Front fan blowing in fresh air (make sure your case is not on the floor especially on the carpet. Put it on a small stool raised from the floor. Even hard floring is bad, it can capture hair.
    Side fan - blow in directly on the cpu cooler. Add a filter to keep your case clean, just 1 month you have to clean everything, unless u live in a bubble.
    Rear fan - suck out/blow out.
    CPU fan - since is vertical, it should blow towards the rear fan. You might see a 10C difference but it is not set right.
    Let the TIM settle down and it should be fine.
    What is your current voltage for your CPU?

Always easy is by raising the multi, but if you determine that speed is the max the cpu can go (stable atleast for 8 hrs with Orthos), then you need to lower ur multi, Set a lower memory divider, raise the HTT and go as far as you can until you reach that max freq. u found earlier.

I have my 5600 Windsor F3 revision at 241 * 13.5 = 3253 at 1.4V. I can push it higher but starts heat up and not stable. I am using a low profile Cooler master vortex 752 cooler in a Ultra MicroFly case. Idle core temps - 39,34 and load with orthos - 57,55

Hope this helps.

:toast:

CrackerJack says thanks.
  3. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    a better HS :p

4. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    huh? lol

5. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    suraswami

yeah i've got it about 2inch off the ground. I've got hard wood floors. I'll try it back the way i had it before. My voltage is 1.400, highest stable is 1.450.

6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    get a better heatsink i recommend this one

7. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    well my cpu crap out on me about 5 hours ago. :banghead: that sucks, but anyway i order another a few hours ago. thanks for help guy, i believe one problem was the cpu itself. It just all a sudden went from like 35c/48c full load, 15c/25c idle. to me that's a little off on the full load. I've got tons of air either blowing on it or sucking it away. so idk

CDAWALL

yeah i didn't hit me in till after i posted that, at that time the cpu went so i had better crap on my mine. like throwing my computer out the window, then throwing back in. just to do it again. I thought about that hinksink, but i didn't know if it would fit in my case.

8. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Wonder how high that would stand in an TT Armor case?

9. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    idk, these specs are 120(W) x 50(H) x 159(D)mm. It looks more than 50mm high. Not less there talking about 159mm (D) being the the point from the bottom of the cooler to the top of the cooler where the pins are at. I would think so, cause it's for a 120mm fan.

10. Trigger911

Trigger911

Thanks Received:
    Howdy man i just got done doing my system my cpu z validation is below but i got my fsb at 260 multi at 12.5 and my htt is set at 4x (north bridge and south). but I water cooled but i have had it stable at 3.4 but i didn't like the heat on load but. if your system is unstable try to loosen the trimmings on the ram

my ram trimmings = 5-5-5-18 t2
    260 fsb
    12.5 multi
    1.374 volts on cpu and 2.1 on ram
    but your system is gonna be different non are the same.

Just to add this is a better heat sink and cheaper/smaller i know alot of people with clocks like mine using this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125&Tpk=Artic+Cooler+64Pro

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  11. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:

sweet thanks man,
    the best i could set mine and have my memory oc alittle
    memory- 5-5-5-15 t2 default 5-5-5-18 t2
    multi- 13
    fsb- 240
    1.4 volts cpu and 2.0 memory. Memory is only 1.8 default.

3.1Ghz cpu
    446mhz memory

temps-35c/48c full load, 15c/25c idle

any higher than 240 with the multi at 13, won't load. Bios would popup and tell me to change my settings.

hopefully when i get the new cpu. i want have anymore problems. Cause when i first got the cpu, temps where only 15c/19c idle & 25c/32c load. then all sudden they went up. I know these temps are not right, just because blacky doesn't show right temps all the time, or it might just be my board.

12. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
  13. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    what i don't understand and maybe it's because i just woke up is that you killed this 5000 Black edition? and ordered a new one. i don't see how you could've done such a thing without throwing way to much volt's at it. I'm currently running at this setting from the bios

htt 5x
    fsb: 292
    multi: 12
    mem:1168Mhz @ 5,5,5,10, 2t

cpu core voltage 1.50-after boot to windows reads 1.515
    mem voltage: 2.35=this is patriot ddr2 1150 so stock is 2.3v so not much ocing done here
    cpu-htt voltage 1.375
    nb: auto
    sb: auto
    Htt link: auto

everything works fine there, i took the ihs off my black edition and i idle at 31c and load at 40c and during priority 10 orthos i might hit 43-44 but i've never seen higher. I hope this helps a little bit as to your general settings. what mobo are you using btw??

14. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    What the heck you killed the CPU? Did you pass 12V DC or 120V AC:eek:

May be get that cheap Arctic Freezer pro?

Hey if you already ordered the cpu never mind. But if you haven't my 2 cents is get the Windsor 6000 or 6400 Blacky. They rock. Windsor's cache speaks for itself. Low latency and beats the shit out of brisy at the same frequency. See Tomshardware for more details. 6400 is the top of the line. And the 90nm doesn't run that hot if you do it right.

Here is what I did yesterday.
    I took my 5600 from 2.8 to 3.2 at 1.4V. Ran one instance of Prime95 + 1 instance of Orthos + ran AVG virus scanner and above all Loaded BF2 and played Gulf of Oman at the same time without any lag. May be it dropped few FPS. But I didn't notice any lag. The 1MB cache helped I guess. Thats a monster CPU. The Core Temps were around 57/55C. Task Manager showed 100% full load all the time. I couldn't do the same thing with my 939 3800 @ 2.6G.

15. Trigger911

Trigger911

Thanks Received:
    I already advised him to get that cooler up above there 25 bucks best air heat sink imho. but Exodus u got a hell of a lot better set of ram than mine i got some cheap muskin i payed 34 bucks for 2 gig hehe and you took off your ihs mines still there. but there shouldnt be any need for 1.4 volt at that speed you need to start at 1.3 volt and run a othertoes and slowly raise it untill you get stable i think you got way ahead of the game and tried to run the cpu at too high of a voltage btw when you set the volts in the bios plan to add .2-.7 volts most cmos cant really control the flow the cpu will take a bit more run cpu-z it ill show the correct volts. I think you ran it at 1.45 volt and really was running it at 1.47-1.57 volts and you should never got over 1.4 with out a water system\pelter or taking the ihs off. Unless you want to burn out the core.

16. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    hey my board for some reason undervolts the cpu when under load. 1.4 set in bios and cpu-z shows 1.4 when idle. at load it shows 1.389/1.392v.

17. Trigger911

Trigger911

Thanks Received:
    ya bit gigabyte is bad about what i was talking about same with abit and asus i've had to work on a few systems with all these types. and what north/south bridge type you got?
    Im too lazy to look it up

18. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Lots of boards do that. I have to set my board to 1.35+10% to get a minimum of 1.44V in reality. Almost all boards do that. Called vDroop.

19. Trigger911

Trigger911

Thanks Received:
    yippers but i don't want to throw the big words out haha. but 9/10 boards don't have the options to enable or disable that norm when you kick on custom config that feature is automatically kicked along with.

20. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Its a single chip solution 6100-405.

The board has the Vcore settings in .025 increments and also has the % increments. If set a voltage in Vcore and set a % in the other option nothing happens. % is not in effect at all.

21. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    i only used the cheap artice for a week, NO OC. I set the cpu little bit less than tiger is using, and still wasn't working right. I know my zalman isn't the best in the world. but i even tried stock settings and it still got to hot and restarted my system. The highest voltage i used was 1.40 with at 200x16. But the highest i every had it was 1.45

suraswami- i was wanting to go ahead and just get the 6400+ blacky. But money is tight. I've got a family to feed .

I'm really wanting a phemon. :)

22. Trigger911

Trigger911

Thanks Received:
    lol what themermal paste you using the stock crap?

23. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    artic 5

24. Trigger911

Trigger911

Thanks Received:
    humm you know ****it takes at least 200 hours for that stuff to work in**** right? I dont suggest u over clock in that time and use a very little if too much you will heat up more. also when doing break in time let it run a few hours then shut it down while running a bench app and when you shut it down let it cool down to room temp it will break it in good.

CrackerJack says thanks.
  25. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    If it's an option, try Arctic Cooling MX-2. It's not electrically conductive, and it has no burn in time. I saw temperature drops, because I reapply thermal paste A LOT since I change parts so often.