1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

$55 for full version Win XP too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by KBD, Feb 23, 2008.

1. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, i found this online store that has the full version of Win XP 32 bit w/SP2 on sale for $55, the name of the store is EdirectBuy, here's the link:

http://www.edirectbuy.net/index.php?categoryID=87

I tried to research this place, i went to Resellerratings.com, yet can't find any info on them. It so happens that my buddy needs an OS for his new rig, i want to suggest this deal to him, but i'm wary to do so until i find out more about these guys. Has anyone heard of EdirectBuy? Is this deal too good to be true?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    sounds fine to me. i mean why would you even pay $55 for XP? i would only take it if it was free or i was payed to take it but even then i wont use it.
  3. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    He doesn't want to switch to Vista just yet, and neither do i, at least not until they fix all the issues. Full version of XP costs over $200, these guys are selling for $55, that's why i'm suspicious.
  4. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    i think wal-mart sells it for 100. so 55 wouldnt be to suspicious
  5. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG! Does that come with XP X64??
  7. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good question, i doesn't say whether its 64 or 32 bit, i just assumed that it was 32 since thats the more common version. I may have to contact them to find out.
  8. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    Read the fine print they tell you not to register the software you bought from them, not a good sign.
  9. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmmm

"Attention:

By pressing this button you agree that you are purchasing the software that does NOT include any COA label ...."

Personally I wouldn't be buying that XP for myself.

COA --- A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is a label that helps you identify genuine Microsoft software. A COA is not a software license – it is a visual identifier that assists in determining whether or not the Microsoft software you are running is genuine. However, without it, you will not have a legal license to run Microsoft software. A COA should never be purchased by itself without the software it authenticates.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?pg=coa&displaylang=en
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
    KBD says thanks.
  10. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    KBD says thanks.
  11. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Jugding from the above posts this is a shady outfit, it seems that buying from them is not worth the risk.
  12. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    THESE are the pirates that MS should go after. The ones that make money off it. When people DL a torrent and hack windows, they're not selling it to someone else, just using it for themselves. There's no victims involved, no one gets ripped off. Microsoft is still getting what they want by you using windows in the first place.

Selling illegal copies screws over more honest customers, and dumps cash into the pockets of real criminals. As long as sites like these are selling blatantly pirated copies of window, they need to lay off the individuals just trying to get by.
  13. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    I had sent MS an email about them around Christmas time, and they said it appears to be pirated or stolen software. I am surprised they are still operating.
  14. jimmyz New Member

Thanks Received:
    No ms products listed now... still show other pirated stuff though. somebody needs to shut them down.