1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

560 Ti stuttering? Arkham City and Deus Ex HR

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by AngryMerchant, Apr 28, 2012.

1. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I'm not at this computer year-round, so I don't know what goes in with it. Presumably not much, but there's always some new issue appearing.

In December, I installed a new power supply and formatted. Everything seemed fine.

At the end of March, it has issues. It gets a very short (less than a second) but noticeable and irksome drop in framerate in Arkham City,Deus Ex nearly every 5 seconds. I tried fixing it by system restoring, and it seemed to work. Then it happened again. I system restored again and it started working.

Now, system restore does nothing. Installing new or older drivers does nothing, even though the problem didn't start until after someone had installed the 295.73 driver. Temperatures are all fine, other games run fine, but these two hate it. Changing settings does nothing, and I never had this issue before March. Assassin's Creed II now also has the issue.

And don't jump on the CPU. I don't think it's practical to replace it right now, and I've already mentioned this problem didn't exist several months ago with the exact same specs. I've heard it far too many times, and the last time I heard it turned out not to have been the issue at all, so stay away from that. What I would consider is just getting a new hard drive, Windows 7 and formatting again, because XP is really clunky now.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    hiya mate,

sorry dont have a solution but just to say my rig does the exact same thing in BF3 (battlefield 3) and i also have a 560ti, is urs by asus by anychance?

mines does the stutter effect with noticeable drop in frames from say 4-60 down to 20 and below then back up every so often

3. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    It's EVGA. And I'll add another game to that list. This computer in general seems to be a hopeless piece of junk.

4. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try downloading Driver sweeper and then installing it. Afterwards uninstall your current drivers, go into safe mode (hitting F8 when booting until it allows you to select safe mode) and then use driver sweeper to delete any remaining drivers you may have.

You then need to reinstall your drivers, (if your having issues with 295.73, then install the one before) and see if it fixes your issue. Otherwise, a clean install may be in order!

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Format the machine

6. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    Two weeks later, I've formatted and still getting stuttering.

This machine is a real piece of junk.

7. mauriek

Thanks Received:
    I think its not your machine fault, i recently have same problem only the game is Arkham City and BF 3, Deus Ex is running fine, My card is Sparkle 560 Ti, my problem solved by using "prefer maximum performance" in Nvidia Control panel-Power management and overclock my VGA just 5 mhz..it's probably some bug with power management feature of 560 Ti although i'm not really sure.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I played through Arkham City twice (and Deus Ex) with no issues back in December when I first installed a 650w power supply. Come back 3 months later and it's having this issue. My only idea right now is trying my old video card, and if it still functions, seeing if it has any stutter issues. If not, then I know for certain it's the 560 Ti. If it doesn't work, because it's a 4 year old 8800GT, then I don't know where to go from there.

9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Well certain things have bound to change since December- anywhere from Drivers/file changes/ system errors/ failing hardware, unoptimized system/crapware/orphan files

10. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    Arkham cite is crappy coded in dx11, i can run it dx9 maxed out with my gtx275, i don't know about deus ex, probally a cpu thing, most games like quadcore's with ddr3 nowadays, maybe u can crap a q9550 for a good price

11. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    Still stuck on XP, so DX11 isn't even the issue.

Old video card is dead as I expected, don't know where to go from here.

12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    no way of RMA?

13. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    What about your hard drive? Have you tested it?

14. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I don't need to RMA the old video card, it's a 4 year old 8800GT.

I'm still pretty sure it was the video card. I think it's better, but I'm not going to start pushing it until I have a newer power supply installed.

What I think happened is that someone installed a video driver update, and it reset all of the Nvidia settings to quality instead of balanced or performance. And I never noticed. That's what it seems to be anyway.

But now I have another problem. This card is always pretty cool. But now, the fan will occasionally turn off. I have EVGA Precision set to startup at windows, but the fan just turned off in a game. By the time I exited out, it said the GPU was at 77 degrees. It really shouldn't be doing that. Fan speed seems to just change itself at random.

Last edited: May 16, 2012