1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5770 underclocked after BIOS flash

Discussion in 'RBE' started by farnsbarns, Oct 19, 2011.

1. farnsbarns New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I just flashed my Sapphire 5770 Vapor X with the official matching BIOS from Sapphire's website and since then under 3d load (game etc) it wont use the correct 860/1200 and instead runs at 600/1200 with 1V. It still idles correctly at 157/300 with 0.95V

Ive googled and flashed all available Sapphire Bioses here (and an Asus one) with same result. The card still underclocks even in a different freshly formatted PC with no previous AMD drivers.
    How do I make it run like normal under load?

Ive found RBE but not sure what to do even though I read the tutorial.

Heres my card and the official Sapphire VaporX bios I flashed to.

[​IMG]

I guess I need to edit the Powerplay state thing in the BIOS somehow ? I dont ever remember seeing it run at 600/1200 before anyway, it was either idle 157/300 or in gaming load at 860/1200 (or whatever I OCd to in MSI Afterburner), there may have been the 400/900 for movies but I definitely dont recall 600/1200 for anything.

Edit: I forgot to say I didnt save the original BIOS as I figured official bios = good. Ive had same powerplay problem subsequently with all the techpowerup Sapphire bioses anyway.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. farnsbarns New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bump

Anyone know how to use RBE? Im kind of a casual user n00b that isnt that smart
  3. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    wrong BIOS!

RBE crearly states that you should be confident about what you are about to do. You dont know, then you shouldnt mess with it. its more dangerous than a drunk person with a assault rifle.

flash back the original bios like you flashed it out. simple.
  4. farnsbarns New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nah its the official BIOS for the 5770 Vapor X from Sapphire site, Ive tried every single Sapphire 5770 listed on this site with same results, one of which is probably the previous BIOS(one I had originally) judging by code number.

So Ive tried them all but need to know how to edit the BIOS in the part shown in pic, so it uses the correct 3D clock and voltage (860/1200, 1.125V) and not this 600/1200, 1.0V setting Ive never seen before.
  5. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    are you sure its not hitting the 860/1200 during gaming? try running furmark or something with gpu-z running and see if the clocks change. Its only supposed to hit the 860/1200 under full load.
  6. farnsbarns New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah positive I wouldnt have posted otherwise no offence, ~30% FPS drop, and GPUZ and Afterburner list 600/1200 as max clock so its using the "mode 2: medium" powerplay setting not the correct mode 3: high one (as per RBE)
  7. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    sounds more like a driver issue cause the bios looks right.
  8. farnsbarns New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its the same driver as pre - BIOS flash
  9. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    farnsbarns says thanks.
  10. farnsbarns New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im using atiflash thru DOS and Ive tried with and without drivers but will try again without.
    Can you recommend a driver cleaner if needed?
    Also only the BIOS I have now (official one for my card) works without having to force flash.

Do I need to install CCC then? I prefer MSI Afterburner cos it has wider uses but whatever works
  11. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    did you reinstall divers after the flash? if you didnt. theres your problem.
  12. farnsbarns New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, still stuck at 600/1200 under Kombustor (Kombustor says 860/1200 but GPUZ says otherwise)

This is what I did:

I uninstalled driver and deleted all ATI folders from C:

Flashed the BIOS supplied above, reinstalled driver

In CCC I set overdrive defaults.

So Ive tried all the BIOSes and I think installed the driver correctly.

So I guess I need to edit the powerplay setting in RBE?

Anyone know how to do that from the screenie above?
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  13. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    flashing the bios I linked should work. I would use a driver cleaner. Messing with RBE can kill your card. What commands are you using to flash threw dos? If Kombustor is saying its hitting 860/1200 then it is. That means the bios is fine. Can you take a new screeny of gpu-z and post it for us?

From the gpu-z shot above, its is showing that the cards clocks are correct. Either your not reading something right or drivers are stopping it from hitting the correct speeds.
  14. farnsbarns New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its definitely using the 600/1200 powerplay setting during games (Kombustor, Crysis demo and Call of Pripyat benchmark) as its like 20-30% slower than before and the GPUZ and Afterburner sensors list 600/1200 as max clocks reached.

That GPUZ pic is normal, the first tab just shows your max clock, it would actually be idle 157/300 (idle) during that screenie.
  15. Black_Lion New Member

Thanks Received:
    This sounds dumb, bt, did you try to disable completely AMD Overdrive in Catalyst Center? Also, did you try to flash back your original Bios to see if it works again? But still try to do a complete unistall of the drivers and install the most recent ones (Catalyst 11.10 B3). If possible, before installing the new driver, delete from APPDATA the ATI Folder (C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\ and delete the ATI Folder.). After this restart your system and install the new driver.
  16. farnsbarns New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I reinstalled drivers as above and used driver cleaners etc but whichever BIOS I use (I tried every single Sapphire bios listed here in downloads) it still underclocks in games/kombustor, ie "medium" powerplay setting of 600/1200 instead of "high" at 860/1200 (or whatever its OCd to).

I also tried a HIS 5750 and Sapphire 5850 which work normally.

So to remedy this 3D underclock as I could see no way to make it use the correct "high" powerplay setting, I edited in RBE the 600/1200 "medium" powerplay setting to 950/1350 which is a stable overclock.

So I can play games at proper fps, and have since upgraded to a 5850, but if anyone can shed more light on this powerplay issue it might be useful for others.