• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5820K - How / Whether To Set Adaptive Voltage?

Wireline

Hi

I've got a nice new 5820K today, and followed the ASUS OC guide, ending up with 1.3V, 125 strap and 36 multiplier (4.5GHz). It seems stable and happy so far. The voltage is set manually in the ASUS X99 Deluxe BIOS, and the voltage stays at 1.3 all the time. So a couple of questions:

1. Will staying at full voltage all the time lead to greater damage / degradation, e.g. is setting adaptive voltage important?

2. How do you actually carry it out? If I set the VCore option to "adaptive" it gives me a box to insert an offset sign, an offset voltage, and total additional voltage. I am not sure what to put in each and the manual is kind of unhelpful.

3. If the chip is stable, is it likely that setting adaptive voltage will make it unstable?

4. Is it wise to experiment with lowering the VCore to find the minimum stable point?

SPECS:
X99 DELUXE
Corsair Dominator RAM 16GB @ 2666MHz
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
WD Caviar Black 2TB
2 x EVGA GTX980 SC
Superflower Leadex Plat 1000W PSU
Corsair H105 240mm
NZXT H440 Case

Last edited:

Elleson

I read on the ROG forum that adaptiv dosent work whit strap mode, you need to use offset mode.

1: IDK
2:Use offset
3:No