1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5850 vapor x idle too high.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by mrsemi, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Bought a card , been using it in xfire and it's wayyy too hot. It's idling @ 60 c and I'm a bit bummed because it's the bottom card in the xfire configuration and it's technically used.

It was that way on day one, prior owner said he never plugged it in at all. I thought maybe the sensors weren't reading right but it's been over a week and still reading the same way

Original user said it was won in a contest so I'm not sure if it's covered under warranty. Now the only problem I've had is today benching unigine, system locked up and even before the 15th frame.

So the point of the thread is
    1. Do you think Sapphire will honor an rma on a used unregistered (as yet) card
    2. Do you think it'd be worthwhile re-applying tim? Maybe just a bad assemble?
    3. Where the fan isn't cramped is it even worth it to get a longer bridge? Worth it or probably not going to do anything? Thinking it won't.

2. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hold the card up to the light... look at how well the contact is on the GPU. Can you see light? If thats not possible, idk... you could attempt an RMA but I doubt Athlon Micro would honor it as they have one of the crappiest Warranty Dept's around.

mrsemi says thanks.
  3. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    What's athlon micro?

4. HillBeast

HillBeast New Member

Thanks Received:
    If the heatsink doesn't touch right then no matter how much TIM you put on there it won't make it any better. My suggestion: replace the TIM and if that doesn't help then eiother find a copper plate and put it between the die and the heatsink (don't see why it won't be touching though) or custom cool it.

Should also mention: I have a Vapor-X 5870 and that idles at 38ish in the case, and loads at about 55C. 60C is definately WAY too high.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010