1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5870 Diamond: is brand any good?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ERazer, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
  2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I've owned a few diamond products. They are typically no frills and usually stick with reference designs.

Never had a RMA with them, so I can't speak to customer service. I did one or two cards with rebates and got them, although it took months. In one case, I had completely forgotten about the rebate, called them. Faxed my copy to them and saw a check in less than a week.

ERazer says thanks.
  3. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I always thought they were the most basic version of the card you could get.

ERazer says thanks.
  4. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    is the price any good? so if they stick with reference then definitely can be volt adjusted if need be

5. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea as these aint sold in Canada where I am. From reviews and others that I have read its like the others above have said its a basic model. Kinda like Expertvison or Visiontek

ERazer says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Diamond is the creator of the first widely sold MP3 player, and pretty much the main reason we all have portable mp3 players right now (it was also the first company to really upset the RIAA folk).

They where pretty big back then, one of the biggest suppliers of soundcards, graphics cards and some computer peripherals.
    Back in the Voodoo 2 times, Diamond was the strongest player in the industry, on par with Creative.

Their business was good until they merged with S3 in order to become the sole supplier of the Savage cards (pretty much like what happened with 3dfx+stb). They went down with the Savage 2000 fiasco (again, like what happened with STB when 3dfx failed with Voodoo 3 and 5).

I don't really know how Diamond is right now. They got sold somewhere in the early 2000s, but they're still selling graphics cards and other stuff, although they're not the mighty Diamond anymore.

Champ and ERazer say thanks.
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I use two Diamond 5850's. They are excellent cards and really good overclockers. Made by ATi, rebranded as Diamond.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
    fullinfusion, Champ and ERazer say thanks.
  8. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    It seems they're ATi only with regards to graphic cards as well, never knew that until I checked their site.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Diamond was really the best known for its Diamond Monster soundcards that were using Aureal Vortex audio chips. The Diamond today is just a bad reflection of that one as it's basically a completelly different company.

10. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    Props to you two, I just learned something new.

11. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    I have dealt with the customer service extensively. Its pretty good. They are very nice. I had once rma'd 6 3870's. The ones i had simple did not like to oc, or be pencil modded. But otherwise, good brand.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    diamond are only refrence cards and is one of the major board partners of ati, has been ever since the HD2XXX cards. you know you will get refence when you go diamond because thats all they do. price is good as well. they used to be one of the bigger contenders although have faded into the background ever since sapphire and others have been doing non refrence cards but still a large company and good warranty, 3yrs I think

13. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Not true. The first 2/3 diamonds I had where ref cards. The last 3/4 where not.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Yeah they are avalible in Canada, Future Shop sell Diamond...

I've owned 3 Diamond gpu's 2 3870's and an X2 model and never had a single issue with them.. They are a reference designed card so its a win win.

15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I removed the ugly "D" sticker on my fan to find a much nicer ATi sticker like this:

[​IMG]

16. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    well to my knowledge. I have never had a non ref diamond

17. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Just order one from Future Shop here in Canada as they have lots (reference design) for sale as there prices are so freaking high they just dont seem to sell many lol.. here for an example

LOOK