1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5870M - Overheating

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Nauzhror, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Nauzhror New Member

Thanks Received:
    My laptop ran fine, I tried updating the AMD Catalyst earlier to version 12.4 and since then it has been running ungodly hot (110+ C) and then shutting down. I have deleted all the AMD/ATi folders in program files an program files (x86), and reinstalled other versions, but nothing seems to work.

GPU-Z shows it running at the proper clocks, I had initially wondered if the drivers had set its clocks higher than they should be but that doesn't seem to be the case, only thing I can think of is off the GPU's fan was some disabled, but I have no clue how I'd check such a thing on a laptop since neither MSI afterburner or the BIOS have options to alter the fans speeds.

2. Nauzhror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, system restore fixed the issue, though still curious whether it was actually the fans getting disabled somehow, and if so if there's any way for me to manually control the fan speeds, since I'd ideally like to raise their speed.

3. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

I would be surprised if any of the TPU community can answer your question as you have ommited to provide the laptop make and model.

nb: please do not double post; use the edit button, thanks

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012