1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5970 dead. Bake it in the oven?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by grunt_408, Feb 23, 2013.

1. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Lol It does work look a little closer and you might notice that is a 4890 in there. The 5970 has been taken out. Shows how much you know and for that matter it shows how much you read threads before you post in them. did you even read the first post ?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I have baked two cards and both worked great! The first one was an 8800GTX that still resides in a friends system and that card was baked about 2 1/2 years ago.
    As with many that are successfully baked, it was artifacting real bad. The other card was an old GTX260 that I baked for a customer about a year ago and like the 8800 it is still working fine.

I baked both at 375 F for 8 minutes. Keep in mind you have to take everything off the card that can be removed.
    As you mentioned, you really don't have anything to loose by trying it.

Also after the bake be sure to not touch it until has has cooled completely down. I think I let the cards site on the baking sheet for about an hour to insure they had cooled down to room temp.
    grunt_408 and theoneandonlymrk say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    If you have a dry joint on the power input wiggleing it could kill it more.
    The secret with bakeing successfully is to get a flux reflow pen and reflow Every thing and every soldered point then bake high and fast for a short time ie preheat the oven .slap it on loads of crumpled baco foil on a tray (baco foil moulded tp hold it steady and firm) then the card .place in oven for 3-6 mins maybe longer ( watch the flux grease untill its smoulder ing a minute then remove heat ) and be very very carefull not to nudge it or anything untill its cold.
    And it Can work just no guarantees .
    Thats bout it :) chill peeps phew
    grunt_408 says thanks.
  4. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys , yer I reckon there is a dry joint somewhere near the power inputs for sure.

Did you use flux?
  5. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Ok stripped the card down and it dosnt look good at all. I dont think baking is going to fix this sucker. Card allways ran cool. Now I am asking for help. What may have caused this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    AsRock says thanks.
  6. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    You can always take a soldering iron and reflow the 8 pin connectors solder joints. I could be as simple as one of them is making a weak connection.
    grunt_408 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    dosnt look too healthy to me. I think it will be a lost cause , what would have caused it to eat away like that?
  8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the circuit has been bubbling and that far top left pin may not be connecting. As the post above said it worth a try for sure.

BTW cracked\dry joint s you normally have a faint line\crack around the area.
    grunt_408 says thanks.
  9. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    So even with all of the damage thats been done it may still work? Edit just gave the area a bit of a clean and tried to get a closer photo. Looks like i had better get myself some flux then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    WOW that close up make s it look like it need a real good cleaning with some isopropyl just be careful you don't knock any thing of the board like a resistor..
    grunt_408 says thanks.
  11. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I know :D. Thats what it was like underneath the plastic cover.... I will have to wait a couple days to get some flux and then I will get the soldering iron out and see how I go. I will practice on an old board a few times before I try it on this. I think I also need to get my psu checked out to make sure that it is ok. Thanks everyone for your info and help.
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just so I'm understanding things, are you looking at the two pins from the 8-pin connector? Is that splatter around it solder? If so, I'd check the 8 pin wires coming off the PSU, it may be wired up wrong.. maybe? Perhaps going over it lightly with a brass brush will get the splatter off.. If it's even solder and not something else.

Nice close up pics btw. :toast:

You could always try getting a new 8 pin connector for it and just de-solder the old one if the leads are completely gone.

* I just realized nothing is supposed to go in the other 8 pin holes that I'm looking at. Nevermind, lol.
    grunt_408 says thanks.
  13. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    lol Yer 6 pin on the left and 8 on the right. I am not sure if that is solder spatter or not if it is I wonder why? There is evidence of the same stuff on other parts of the card. I get the feeling I am going to loose this battle but will have a crack at it anyways. The 8 pin connector is straight out of the psu from factory the plug looks ok and is running my 4890 no probs through a 8 to 6 reducer.
  14. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    As for the power issue i bet it has more to do with the cable or connectors that the card itself.
    Use a soft toothbrush to GENTLY clean the dust off all the circled components and anywhere elese you see similar build up.
    Whats going on with that spot between the two gpu's i circled
    Another thing to be aware of is the order in which screws are tightened on the heatsinks so that the board/cooler isnt being warped a weird way.
    large cards and large heatsinks are prone to warping if your having temp issues adding a copper shim to the gpu contacts might help

[​IMG]
    grunt_408 says thanks.
  15. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    The area you circled between the Gpu's was just a bit of TIM I think as it cleaned straight off.
  16. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    go buy your self a cheap electronics soldering iron and just heat the bugger up and remelt the solder joints to the power connections and that should work for ya.... Saves you from dissembling the whole gpu to pop it into the oven... ;)

good luck....

PS I have the same problem with my CB radio... The way its mounted and the road vibrations break the solder joints but a quick re-heat and the grounding problem is fixed for another 100K :pimp:
    grunt_408 says thanks.
  17. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    The stuff in between the joints looks like solder spatter , Not sure what else it could be really and farked if I know why either there was a plastic cover over it the whole 2 years since I had put the waterblock on it. The plug looks to be in good condition no rounded out female plug. I will give it a good clean and fit the stock cooler and test it in my sons pc. And I think I should invest in a PSU tester too just to be safe.
  18. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    ^^That should work;) Did you find/borrow a meter [post 13] to check the pins before & after ?... also can you post a pic of the area [pic] after the clean up High res if possible might be an issue there but can't tell from current pic
    PS: I'v seen cards in a lot worse shape that worked great after a little TLC

Attached Files:

grunt_408 says thanks.
  19. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:

I will try and get my hands on a multi meter and some flux this week. For now it is sitting on the shelf waiting. Thanks for your help.:rockout: Edit: Will clean and get a better pic later in the day.
    Frogger says thanks.
  20. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I know a better way than oven baking.

1. Take a old intel cooler with the copper slug in the middle.
    2. cut out the copper slug.
    3. Place copper slug in the oven, for about half an hour on gas mark 6 or 7
    4. Place copper slug on top of gpu wit a pair of pliers, so you dont burn your hand :)
    5. leave it till the slug is cool enough to touch with your hand.

Et voila a working card.

I have done this with lots of dead xbox 360's and some laptop motherboards, work every time, and no damage to the board from heating the whole board up.
    Law-II and HD64G say thanks.
  21. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Whilst I commend a very clever tactic that would work ish its his power input connector that looks like it needs reflowing and the best ways with a soldering iron or oven
    HD64G says thanks.
  22. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Aye i figured that after reading the thread, but my tactic is there now for all to use in the future instead of sticking a board in the oven.
    grunt_408 and theoneandonlymrk say thanks.
  23. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Looks like its back from the dead. Gave the card a clean. Applied Mx-4 and fitted stock cooler. Put back in my pc and booted straight into windows. Just finished installing drivers all is good so far. About to test in a game.

So turns out I did not need to bake it afterall lol. Glad I tried cleaning it up and fitting the stock cooler. Now to order some thermal pads so I can fit my block again.

Still going strong...
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    Law-II says thanks.
  24. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    :toast: A little lovin' goes a long way sometimes ;);):D Gald to see it's up & runnig for you:D Could have been a little mettalic dust causing a short.
    grunt_408 and Law-II say thanks.
  25. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    +1 for an easy fix :)
    grunt_408 says thanks.