1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

64-bit BOINC manager

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by hat, Oct 12, 2009.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I figured I should make a thread dedicated to this since it seems to be a little known fact. Those of you running 64-bit systems should consider ditching the WCG manger and get the 64-bit BOINC manager here. It works a bit faster, but the only thing is it doesn't start up when the system does, even when told to (at least for me). I fixed that by dragging boincmgr to my startup folder. You can still use it to work for TPU, it won't change anything but your point value.

3dsage and [Ion] say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I've heard it runs about 10% faster, is this an accurate figure?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I don't know. Obviously there is a great deal of room for variation here. Every work unit is different, and the applications are very different (obviously... one deals with growing rice and another deals with AIDS); however it's a no-brainer that 64-bit is faster than 32-bit, so it's not like making the switch will hurt you any...

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Can't switch yet, all of my comps are running 32-bit XP. If I can get a 64-bit copy of Vista or XP (the wireless drivers for my Zotac board don't work in Server 2008 or R2, and wireless is the only way I can get internet on it) I will switch, but I'm not optimistic on when that will happen

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Why would you run 32-bit on a processor that supports 64-bit, espically when you have 4GB ram? I ran 64-bit back when I had 2x1gb ddr2 533...

Crunching for Team TPU