1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

670 2gb vs 7950 3gb (most future proof card?)

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ColdCheese, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    that is true but again not just limited to HD 7970 etc the problem exits on ALL HD 7000 series gpus to an extent in Shogun 2, but simply put newtekie its a game engine issue, as its the same engine as Napoleon and Empire which have no issues of which i am aware of. but CA is more interested in milking the game for money than patching up issues at this point as their focus is on Rome II and the 40% budget increase they got from SEGA.

Altho it seems some motherboard BIOS have also stopped the issue on certain motherboards mostly AMD boards but still AMD and Shogun 2 seems to be a terrible match 90% of the time unless your on 1155. To bad too. great example of manufacturer and a developer not caring enough to find a fix.

regardless a very real issue does exist in Shogun 2 but it seems to have spared socket 1155 for whatever reason at least from what ive been able to find.

BUt yea 3GB existed on the GTX 580 long before

2. ColdCheese New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's the exact card and deal I had in mind and I was planning to buy Borderlands 2 anyways, so to me thats worth an extra $40 off considering green man gaming has it for preorder around that price.

My friend's holding out for the next gen big kepler, he thinks will be released around xmas time or Q1 2013 with 3gb+ standard. He strongly believes this current 2gb kepler is an Nvidia cash grab since originally the 670/680 were believed to be mid range cards but only became higher tier when they matched or beat AMD's top tier 7950/7970's. Leading him to believe that Nvidia is holding back and selling these midrange cards for a premium and will be outdated prematurely when the real deal is released soon.

3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    lol console peasents. shits halarious. Did no one else find it funny? Im been glued to my PS3 after almost a year of primary desktop failure and I wasnt insulted.

[​IMG]

but seriously 670

INSTG8R says thanks.
  4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
  5. borschwanger New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. solofly

solofly New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's still alot better than being broken down on the side of the road due to stinking AMD drivers...;)

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    never had issues with the drivers actually

8. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Oh you are quite right, I am saddled by nVidia's money grabbing schemes, selling cards with never nearly enough VRAM on them, counting on their fanbois to upgrade the next year when "crazy game devs make games that take WAAAAAY too much VRAM" instead of realizing that the red team does it right and their worshipped green team is greeding on them. I always get a kick out of that.

About a year ago I had the same conversation on another forum, where all the NV fanbois were screaming their heads off that 1.25gb on a 570 was PLENTY of VRAM, and I was insisting that a 6970 with its 2gb was a much better solution, given that games tend to get BIGGER and definitely not smaller, and that then-current games were nothing to go by, given that you don't buy a card for playing games in the past. You always buy a card for playing games in the future.

Anyway, I got boooohed to no end, the object of ridicule and whatnot... And I knew from experience, how I was already handicapped by the ridiculously small VRAM on my two GTX 570s... BF3 came out, no Ultra because there isn't enough room on the cards, and plenty of other games get VRAM ceilinged...

Isn't it interesting how nV released a 570 that is of similar performance to a 6970 at a similar price but... With barely more than half the VRAM? A decent 570 was a LOT pricier than a 6970, and THAT is what should be used to compare performance.

While I'm not saying 2gb is going to be a limit overnight, you might want to upgrade by adding a second card instead of simply changing a single card, and that means stretching the active life of your hardware. In such circumstances, ESPECIALLY with a new generation of consoles coming, you REALLY DO NEED to buy the card with as much VRAM as possible.

Consider the following scenario: you buy a card this month. No matter if you go green or red, it'll play all the current games really well and the VRAM isn't a limitation. GREAT! But, you will keep your card for what, AT LEAST A YEAR, right? Next fall, what are the games going to be like? We simply don't know. But wait... Comes the end of 2013, and you feel like you need a little boost... Adding a second card of the current generation is by then cheap and will pretty much double your fps! So you do it! And now you are set for another year for cheap!

But but but a few months down the line, all the games top your 2gb of VRAM at settings you can run at 100fps because you have so much GPU power and not enough VRAM... Ah, but if you have 3 or 4 gb, you might be happy running that same setup for another year and a half, all because you have the VRAM _and_ the GPU power to enjoy your games at the fullest.

No, I say NV is trolling us with their small VRAM, they are taking advantage of their rabid fanbois and creaming the crowd. Good for them, but bad for us. The real GTX 680 is the 4gb model, compare that in price/performance to the 7970 and THEN make your decision. Make sure you're not buying a $450, 2gb card that will let you down some months down the line, when you could be buying a $400, 3gb card that won't let you down for a couple years at least. All for what, 3-4 fps over the short term.

9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    All that long rant, and it is made totally moot by the fact that nVidia offered the GTX570 with 3GB of RAM. It wasn't nVidia that limited the memory amount, they allowed the manufacturers to use either 1.5GB or 3GB, it was the manufacturer that decided limited the RAM on the card. Bitch at them, not nVidia.

Horrux says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    You fail to see that the whole market positioning of the nv cards is falsified by the fact that, as I posted, the REAL model of any nv video card is one that has double the amount of what is considered "the standard" VRAM. I knew there were 570s with 2.5gb of VRAM for about $100 more than the then $320 GTX 570 with 1.25gb. Now let's see some benchmarks of the $320 Radeon HD 6970 2gb and see how it stacks up to the $420 GTX 570 2.5gb. No? Thought so. You know, in the real world, there is something called money, and most people don't have infinite amounts at their disposal... Which makes my point not moot at all, but rather a greater point.

You are making my point for me, and I stated what you state in my "long rant" post.

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds good! Enjoy the card and the game! :toast: