1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

680 Lightning Water Cooling Loop

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ALMOSTunseen, Nov 5, 2012.

1. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
    So, with my new build built(Sorry for the lack of pictures, trying to find my good camera), I thought, what more can I do?......Watercooling my MSI GTX 680 Lightning came into mind. Now, yes, I am a watercooling nublet. Well, I did install a H100.....:cool:
    Aesthetics are not really a problem for me, as long as it's blue, black, or white I'm happy!
    Here is the partslist so far-
    EK Full Cover VGA Block EK-FC680 GTX+ CSQ
    Question-Will this fit on my 680 lightning? As I cannot get the lightning edition.
    XSPC AX120 Radiator Silver
    No Questions
    XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir and Pump Combo
    No Questions
    Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings, Blue, 6 pack
    No Questions
    EK-Ekoolant UV Blue (premix 1000mL)
    No Questions
    PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro LRT Tubing Clear 1/2ID 3/4OD2 metres
    No Questions
    Bitspower G1/4 Deluxe White Temperature Sensor
    Questions-I can see a spare 1/4 hole in res, with a screw plug in it, this should fit in there? And, where does this plug into? A fan header or something?

A concept layout.
    [​IMG]
    Obviously please advise me of any incompatibilites, worthwhile adjustments, or if there any areas where I can save money.

Watercooling section of the website where I buy my parts-
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=207_160

2. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    A regular 680 wb won't fit a lighting PCB's are no way near the same lay out

ALMOSTunseen says thanks.
  3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I don't think there are any Full GPU blocks that will fit your card, And your going to want bigger then a 120 rad, or your temps won't be nearly as good as they could. Almost making the loop not worthwhile I would think.

You would have to get a universal block like this, and then get lame little ram sinks and shit for the extras on the card.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...t_info&cPath=59_971_240_582&products_id=30793

4. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
    Hmmmmm, I'll talk the guys where I buy my parts from, see if they can get the lightning waterblock in.
    This rad should suffice? XSPC AX240 Radiator Black. I should be able to stuff in in the front of my switch 810 if I remove both drive bays. There's a slight chance I can mount it on the bottom, my psu cables just jut out a bit.

5. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
  6. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    The spare hole in the res with a screw plug is your fill port. Be sure to tighten it to the point that your o-ring is being compressed if you're going to set the system on its side. Didn't have mine tight enough recently, but luckily caught it or I could have killed my SSD and HDD.

Also, you do NOT want to cool a GTX 680 Lightning without getting a full cover block. The VRMs on modern high-end cards run way too hot to let a passive heatsink cool them.

I say ditch the H100 and get a CPU block as well. That way, you can have a 2x120 and 1x120 cooling the CPU and GPU. That should be sufficient.

7. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
    From the great words of TacoTown, "A computer is never done, you're just out of money." I'm already pushing the wallet on this one. I might add a cpu block some time Q1 next year. And I believe the port you are talking about is ontop, there is a another one on the back.
    [​IMG]

8. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
    And another nooby question. Whats the best way to rinse out your rad? Pour some distilled water into it, cover the holes. shake it, and repeat? Also, are there any other components that need to be rinsed?

9. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    I use hot distilled water that I warm up on the stove

You can do ot a few times until the water comes out clear

10. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Rinse rad? I did what you suggested with mine before my new install.

However, if you wan to be anal about it you can set up a tub of water, fill with distilled water, put hose into water, run a pump to push water through rad and out into the tub, via a filter. That way you can leave it running for a while to makes sure every last bit of debris is out.

[​IMG]

Also, that other plug you have circled on your reservoir is an LED port by the looks of it. Just another possible inlet (or for cosmetic lighting).

11. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
    Oh yes, now that I look closer, it seems an LED can be put into it. Also, how do these temp sensors work? They have a 2 pin connector. Where would I plug that into on my motherboard?

12. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Not positive mate, I've never used them but i think they're meant to go pretty much on the chip heat spreader. Someone might want to correct me on that.

13. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Temperature sensors go on whatever you want to measure the temperature of. The 2-pin plug has no place on your motherboard, but only on a temperature monitor/fan controller.

14. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Unless you have a ROG board they all have 2 pin connectors for external temps.

Should go into the back plug.

These are available for people without ROG boards. That particular one is stupid expensive, but was the fastest to find. They go for like $9 on ebay.

15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  16. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
  17. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    They'll both perform well. I'd chose on price, package accessories and aesthetics.

I have two EK blocks on my 7970's. The one i fitted myself tops out at 53-55 degrees (BF3, 2560x1440, maximum graphics settings, and i mean maximum) and this is with fans on my radiator on sub 1000rpm speeds and in a dual gpu loop and it's overclocked at 1050MHz.

So I know as long as you use TLC when assembling the EK block works very well indeed.

18. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
    What thermal compound would you recommend? This one?
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/icdi24cathco.html

19. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    You'd be amazed at how many there are out there. The one you link seems to have a cure time, I think that's better for CPU's. I may be wrong.

I used Arctic Cooling MX4, a long established favourite. You can't really go wrong with most thermal pastes. It's how you apply it that matters and that's a hot debate. Credit card smearing over the whole heatsink, small central blob or 'X' line across heatsink, all viable and with detractors too. Just follow manufacturer guidelines. EKWB suggest using the 'X' technique.

20. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I like MX-4 as well. It sets right away, is easy to work with and cleans up easy. Not to mention is performs well too.

The EK block will come with a Gelid compound which works very well. You can also buy that block directly from EK, it may be cheaper.

21. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't go with that its a mess to clean off and has a smell to it when I had it on for a few weeks :S

Prolimatech PK-1 from reviews seems good but I haven't used it and I use gelid gc extreme right now

22. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
    Shipping and currency conversion wise, it's cheaper to get the block sidewinder has. Also, how can I drain a loop via a quick disconnect?

23. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Well, you would want the drain at the lowest possible place of the loop. A splitter with a valve would work though it makes a bit more clutter. I prefer just disconnecting a tube.

24. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'll just have the quick disconnect, then just jam a bucket next to the case, and pop off the quick disconnect. Also, are there anyways I can cut down the cost? At the moment its at about $500 including shipping.

25. erocker

Thanks Received: