1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6800GS Dual DVI Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by kowrip, Feb 22, 2006.

1. kowrip New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, I'm pretty much at a dead end with this one. I just purchased 2 BenQ DVI 8ms monitors and an XFX GeForce 6800GS AGP 256MB video card. I received both monitors first and tested them out on my old GeForce Ti4200 128MB video card. Both monitors worked fine in a dual mode configuration (1 DVI, 1 VGA). I then received my video card, removed the old drivers, swapped video cards and installed the new drivers. Now, here's the problem. No matter what I do, I cannot get both of the monitors to work in a dual mode configuration. I can use either one in a single mode configuration. So, both DVI ports are working and both monitors are working. However, as soon as I switch to dual monitor mode, 1 screen always goes blank and loses the signal. I tried both the Nvidia 82.12 drivers as well as the new 83.90 drivers. Neither of them worked. I also tried changing one monitor to VGA and using the DVI-to-VGA adapter. No dice. Same deal. I made sure when installing the video card that I connected the additional 12V connector. I noticed that the requirements state that I need a 450W PS. I only have a 300W PS. However, I seriously doubt that this is causing my problem. I was able to play Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 and GTA San Andreas with the video settings all maxed out and there was no problem. It handled all of the intensive 3D stuff with ease. I called the XFX tech support and he also agrees that it's most likely not a power issue. He thinks it could be due to the beta Nvidia drivers. In any case, I'm pretty frustrated at this point. I searched through all the Nvidia and XFX documentation. I've also searched technical forums, but haven't turned up anything. I will have a 550W PS in a few days, so I can confirm whether or not it's a power problem. My machine specs are listed below. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd really hate to have to send back this video card at this point. Thanks.

P4 - 2.4 GHz HT (800MHz FSB)
    Soyo Dragon 2 MB 865 chipset (all drivers updated)
    512MB DDR RAM
    80GB WD 7200RPM IDE HD
    320GB WD 7200RPM IDE HD
    2 BenQ FP91G+ 8ms 19" LCD monitors
    Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2)