1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6850 how to restore original bios HELP!! PLZZ

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by mr305, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mr305 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi am new at this i never knew that you could change the bios signature for a radeon card . So just today i try to do this . search for my original bios.rom save it into flash drive also my computer . Then i search here in techpowerup for 6870 bios signature an i load it into method 1 as the computer restarted the graphic card doesn't seem to come up , it is just searching for signal . So now am getting worried . So what i did now is disconnected the HDMI cable from my 6850 sapphire an connected the HDMI cable to my motherboard internal graphic card. My computer seem to boot up normally everything seem find . But now how do i restore my sapphire 6850 card to the original bios that i had before an i saved ?

2. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    You'll need another video card. Onboard will work. Keep the card in and boot up like normal, using the second card for a display. Go to whatever you'd normally use to flash the BIOS and make sure you select the correct card. Restore the backup BIOS and reboot.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. mr305 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks right now am using the onboard but when i search for the adapter it doesn't appear in the ATI Win Flash when i search for the adapter. So what do you suggest me to do ?

4. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

**If you are able to access windows with a spare vga card or onboard vga/igp; Uninstall any AMD drivers for the vga card before the flash process**

Create a bootable flash drive
    go here http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/browse.php?c=21

Download - HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8 & Windows 98 System Files

click Primary Download unzip the files to a folder on your HDD; make sure your USB Memory stick is attached to your PC; open HP USB Disk

Storage Format Tool v2.1.8 ; select Creat a DOS startup disk/ select: using DOS system files located at: (these are the files you have just downloaded): browse to the files in win98boot; then start the process.

Download latest version of ATIFlash
    here - http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2166/ATIFlash_3.99.html Edit updated link

copy atiflash and [#bios name#].bin to the usb flash drives root directory

Set the motherboard bios to boot from usb *press F8 during boot; select from boot menu if option is avalable; this should boot to a win98 dos prompt

Type at the dos prompt - dir to veiw the content of the flash drive

Type at the dos prompt; atiflash -ai 1 [see if adapter is at this address and is recognised]

Type at the dos prompt; atiflash -unlockrom 0 to unlock the gpu in adapter 0 [Note: 0 is the primary card PCIe slot one & 1 is the secondary PCIe slot two][*may be required] [Note: when booting from onboard vga / igp also = primary position 0]

Type at the dos prompt; atiflash -f -p 1 [#name of bios#].bin [Note: 0 is the primary card PCIe slot one & 1 is the secondary PCIe slot two] [Note: when booting from onboard vga / igp also = primary position 0]

reboot once finished and remove the flash drive

reinstall AMD Catalyst Drivers

Note: if using a dual bios card Do Not flash the card while switch is in position two

Edit: Welcome to TPU

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. mr305 New Member

Thanks Received:

Okay thank you , i have try these two step :

Type at the dos prompt - dir to veiw the content of the flash drive

Type at the dos prompt; atiflash -ai 1 [see if adapter is at this address and is recognised]

But the adapter is not found , am connected to the onboard card but with a dvi cable does that matter ?

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Not a good sign. It is very possible that you bricked your video card. Different GPU (even between vendors,) might use different types of memory or voltages and by flashing a different BIOS from a different vendor, it is possible you could have damaged components on the card, such as the VRMs, video memory, or the GPU itself.

Usually at this point if the video card isn't detected, it's a sure fire way to tell that "it's dead, Jim."

The video bios is one of those things where if it isn't broken, you should probably leave it alone unless you know perfectly well what you're doing. Considering the 6850 will never unlock to a 6870 (and a simple google search will confirm this,) this was just a bad decision. It isn't the first time I've heard someone do this with a 6850 either. Sorry man, I think it's done for. :(

7. mr305 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wawoo!! that easy its dead . All i did was flash it with the same vendor which is sapphire 6870 please tell me there is another way. :(

8. mr305 New Member

Thanks Received:
    also the card is running perfectly find i have the computer case open an i can see the fan spinning like if it is running normally. Maybe something in the bios i have set incorrectly . Because i have my computer overclock.

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Fan spinning is not a sign that it is working. It is a sign that the video card how power, not that it is initializing properly.

If it boots using the iGPU, then you're in trouble because if it were your OC it would cause havoc on everything else as well. You might as well reset everything to stock, but I think it's too late for that.

You flashed a BIOS for a card that isn't yours to your own. What did you expect would happen? :confused:

If you have a Sapphire 6850, you flash the same BIOS for that revision of 6850. You can even flash another 6850 BIOS and still brick it because things like differ DIMM vendors or different timings. Considering what the BIOS controls, it has the potential to completely destroy your card.

10. mr305 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wawo just like that i can't believe my eyes. :( One thing for sure is that it was booting of PCI E Default setting everything was done using default setting on my bios . Do you think this guide might help http://www.overclock.net/t/593427/how-to-unbrick-your-bricked-graphics-card-fix-a-failed-bios-flash ?

11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    No, because if you read it carefully you've done this already if you're trying to detect it and flash it.

I'm not joking when I say that I seriously think you killed your card.

12. mr305 New Member

Thanks Received:

I guest is purchasing a new one . I can't believe my eyes dow . But thanks for the help anyway .

13. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Doing this was not good for the card as the Device ID has changed and the vga card cannot be seen by atiflash as the vga bios strings are wrong

you will have to locate the vga bios on the card and connect pinout 1 and pinout 8 with a wire read Here

Note: this is not the card you have; however the principle is the same

atb

Law-II

xvi says thanks.
  14. mr305 New Member

Thanks Received:

Thank you very much at lease sign of hope. By the way if you don't mind me asking just in case all these try doesn't work , do you think Nvidia GTX 560 is a little better than the card i have now which is the Radeon HD 6850 sapphire 1gb ?

15. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    It will work for you ... just remember to flash your original bios.rom to the card ;)

Law-II says thanks.
  16. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

May be have a look at the reviews - not much in it between the HD 6850 & GTX 560 depending on the game - here and here

best of luck

atb

Law-II

17. mr305 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found a sticker on the card that said B0105 . Do you think i should remove it ?

18. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

nothing to lose at this stage, vga cards warranty went out the window when it was flashed. [may be remove it carefully]

atb

Law-II

mr305 says thanks.
  19. mr305 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Am at the same stage as the fallowing user in this thread http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151836

I don't know which one is the bios chip i can see the one on the right side of the picture in the thread in my card an i can also see the one on the left also on my card . What does it clearly have to say so i can confirm that is correct for the bios ?

20. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

make and model of card also; SKU number ;need the numbers from the chips to assit identify them, any chance of some pics or letting us know.

Edit: @ Frogger, thank you very much

atb

Law-II

21. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    see tha att PDF & look for a chip with the same #'s also pls post the # for the sticker on the back of your card [pic]

Attached Files:

Law-II says thanks.
  22. mr305 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the image of my graphic card . Am sorry for the delay guys i was out of town for the few days . Now to get back to trying to bring my graphic card back to life . This is the image an i don't know which is the bios chip , could it be the one on the right next to the TEST PAST stamp , or the one on the left.

[​IMG]

Law-II says thanks.
  23. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

can you get a clearer shot of the lable for Frogger, thanks

atb

Law-II

24. mr305 New Member

Thanks Received:
    okay which one , the one on the left or the one on right ?

25. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

the one on on the right

Example
    HD vga .jpg

nb: are you able to see the writing on either of the chips?, can you post this info.

atb

Law-II