1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6870 crossfire crashing.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Skurge, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Skurge

Skurge New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I'm new here.

My 6870s in crossfire crash after a few mins of gameplay and less than a minute of furmark. the sounds like the top card shuts down and the display goes black. I set the Fans to 100% and the top card doesn't exceed 60 degrees.

I tried swapping the cards and tried them on a different board as well. Seems like I'm not the only one with the issue. There are a few people who have that issue, but it seems like it only happens with the gigabyte cards.

I tried a bios update for the cards, but they had the newest bios on them, I tried flashing them with ASUS bios and I still have the issue. I have no idea what to try now.

Intel Core i3-2100 3.1Ghz
    Gigabyte H67A-UD3H
    8GB DDR3-1333
    Gigabyte Radeon 6870 1GB WindForce 3X
    2TB WD Caviar
    Windows 7 Professional x64
    Coolermaster GX650W Bronze PSU.

Could it be the PSU? It seems like it should have no problem running the system and as I said, other people online have had the issue too, some with better power supplies.
  2. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    The first thing that comes to mind is that you're running both cards @X4 on that board.
    Try both cards in a different board if u can,but with both lanes at least @X8
    PSU should be more than enough if it's working correctly
    Edit: try this also http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52502
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  3. Skurge

Skurge New Member

Thanks Received:
    GPU-Z shows the 1st card at 16x and the 2nd card at 4x. I can get a P67 board, but it's also 16x/4x. I don't have easy access to a 8x/8x board at the moment.
  4. Skurge

Skurge New Member

Thanks Received:
    So after underclocking my cards to 400/500 each, They lasted 6mins in furmark and not just 1min. If that helps.
  5. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    It could be your PSU:shadedshu
    Check also voltage readings for both cards...Gigabyte is known for this bug.maybe they're undervolted
  6. Skurge

Skurge New Member

Thanks Received:
    I checked and both cards were running 1.175V, The asus bios I tried earlier were running 1.8V. It does seem like it's the PSU cause I ran the stalker bench a low settings were my cards were CPU limited and only under 50% load the test went through without issues. The moment the cards are loaded 100%, the top card shuts down. I wouldn't have thought a 650W PSU wasn't enough. I'm going to try an OCZ 700W PSU.
  7. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Try one card by itself. Also change the cards around if u already haven done so. It does seem like a psu problem though.
  8. Skurge

Skurge New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have tried each card individually with no issues. I swapped them over and it's always the top card that shuts down. Even with crossfire disable via CCC I keep getting the crash even when the 2nd card isn't loaded.
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    x16 + x4 CrossFire doesn't work very well. One thing you can try is disabling ULPS. The easiest way to do this is to go into the registry and search: ULPS. There will be two values listed and you will want to change them to 0.
  10. Mark Brown New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  11. Skurge

Skurge New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks will go try it when I get home today. I really hope this fixes it. In the meantime, I've been looking at a new board, but I'm not sure whether to get a P67 now or want for the 7 series chipsets.