1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6950 artifacts in aero/browser only at low voltage changes

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by BlackZero, Oct 25, 2011.

1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Cool beans. At least you found a working solution, good job.

:toast:
    BlackZero says thanks.
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    XFX allow you to remove the stock cooler as long as you ask them 1st so go ask them if you can and hey ya got ya warranty back.

And don't the 6950's use different parts like lesser quality VRMS ?.

EDIT:
    Cool thanks for letting everyone know. And shi pretty close to that my self just on air cooling so some thing weak about your water setup ? No offense intended )... So when feb comes i will have to keep this in mind lol.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    BlackZero says thanks.
  3. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Asrock

Thanks for the advice on replacing the stock cooler, will contact xfx and 'ask'. Not to sure but lower quality vrms on the 6950 but it does have a slight differnce in the pcb with the 6970 having a few extra circuits; ths is from the pics I have seen. Having said that most people get similar results for both cards and importantly both use the same core so it's not a major difference from everything i've seen.

And watercooling doesn't improve idle temps as idle isn't going to be lower than ambient but it improves load temps, I also have an overclocked 2600k in my loop with a single rx 360 at low rpm/low noise settings, could add another 120/240 to further improve load temps if need be.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well my max's around 55-62c ( gaming ) which is way under what i need. Although furmark and OCCT will push it in the 90's or even 100's but i don't mind that as long as it's ok in gaming which to me 62c max in a game is good enough and lower than that is pointless to me.

I have noticed the vrms are totally sweet on the ref cards with their low temps. Think ATI did well picking them out for the cards. Hopefully we will see them on future cards or even better ones and not these typical cheap ass vrms.

Yeah i think their the same too now i look at the pics of both of them kinda curious what the differences do.

EDIT: I find the gpu is harder to keep the temps down on now not the vrms which the heatsink on mine is actually touchable lol.
  5. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah I have a reference card and get max temps of 65c in furmark overclocked to 925/1425 at 1.175v, I included pics earlier in the thread.
  6. Ihmemies New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a similar issue with Asus 6950 2GB. When card is cold (30C) I get small dots in desktop and other gpu accelerated stuff like videos etc. When I start a game I get artifacts depending on the game until gpu warms up over 40C. Running furmark I get 60C and absolutely no artifacts. Same goes with games, I can play for hours without artifacts or any other problems when the card is warm enough.

I need to try to increase the voltages and see if it helps. I tried to edit the fan profile in BIOS but I couldn't find a way to disable the fan until temps hit 40-50C or so...

This problem is kind of retarded, normally you get artifacts when clocks/temps are too high. But too low... *sigh*.
  7. Ginnoskie

Ginnoskie

Thanks Received:
    nah..you're the one to blame on these issues.. at the first place why would you overvolt you're card to 1.25v? that's frying up you're card man.i know you're on water but the card cannot handle too much over voltage.all 6950 should have a limit of 1.175v I have mine Asus DCU II 6950 2gb flashed to 6970 without any issues and it's steady to 1.2v got 980/1400.
  8. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's a strange issue alright but I suppose that's why it's called a cold bug. Another workaround i've been using it to set a 2d and 3d overclock profile in msi afterburner with the 2d profile set to 500/625 (this covers uvd/movies etc.) and whatever 3d clock/voltages you choose. This way it stays at the 2d profile while on the desktop and only switches to the higher clocks when 3d mode is activated.

@Ginnoskie

what are you talking about? I'm to blame for wanting to overclock my card to the same level as other people have done with similar or even lesser cooling? as for frying your card... it's a well known fact that the card is safe up to 1.3v and once you have it watercooled it's hardly frying, and to point out that the problem occurs when the card is too cold makes your 'frying' argument that much lamer.. you're obviously not an experienced overclocker so why bother posting..