1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6950 bsod - #2

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Bengie, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Bengie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nearly the same sort of issue as Possible Mod Gone Bad

But I have a Dell mobo with 0 ability to OC, so all stock i7-920 speeds. Memory is 1600 Patriot running at 1066(Plan on getting an Intel IB which will also have 1600ddr3). Using the 6950mod, but NOT the 6970 flash, so all stock voltages.

After putting new memory and the 6950, I've been getting weird memory type errors. I've had nearly every driver crash in my system, from NTFS.sys to DirectX.sys

I did a 48hours(~35 passes) memtest and no errors found

I did a 24hour Prime95 CPU burn in, no problem

I did a checkdisk, no errors

The problem isn't consistent. Many times I can go for 1-2 days with no errors at all and then get tons of them. And nothing but a power down will fix it. Memory errors DO occur once they start. Memtest/Prime95 will error once they start, but a power down makes them go away.

Antec TP750. Shouldn't have any issues with power. PSU reviews show the TP750 pushing pushing 330watts(max their tools could test) over the 6pin and still maintaining only 25mv of ripple and no change in voltage. I have two 6pins from different rails plugged in and those rails are not used by anything else.

So, not the PSU unless something is bad. I did hook a multimeter to my PSU and all voltages are only 2-5% above when idle or under load, doesn't seem to matter at all.

My computer is hooked up to an APC 1500va UPS with a Cyberpower 4200j surge with power conditioning, so AC power isn't an issue either.

Driving me nuts. Who else thinks it's the mobo?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. Bengie New Member

Thanks Received:
    After some testing, it seems the fluctuation in clock speed and gpu usage was a coincidence.

Running BC2 and 3D mark 2011 can keep the gpu at max clock and 100% load.

In testing though, I was able to get 910/1420 to run with a core voltage of 1.065v. At 1.06v 3Dmark 2011 would cause the video device to stop responding and it would end the run. I raised the voltage to 1.08v for good measure. GPU temp is running about 51c max instead of 56c max for the same speeds as the stock 1.1v