1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6950 problem

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by tonkin97, Apr 3, 2011.

1. tonkin97 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok this going to be a wierd problem

just bought a new system

amd phen x4 3.4ghz
    8gb ram
    asus crosshair 4 formula
    6950 2gb asus
    950watt psu

built system everything went fine installed windows

when i installed my display drivers cat 11.3 everything went fine and my computer rebooted.
    after the windows 7 logo screen boom artifacts lines all over my screen
    thinking i got a duff card i went in safe mode and booted up at a lower resolution.
    i then tried to find out if ccc was doing something it shouldnt with my monitor set the hertz to 60 and slowly bumped up my resoltutions.
    when i got the 1680 x 1050 artifacts again, after waiting patiently for 1 minute my computer did not revert back the previous resolution, i pressed the power switch and the computer was unresponsive , i tried this soo many times same result.

i then tried the different dvi port same result. i hooked up my computer to my tv via hdmi and it set it self up at a bigger resolution 1980 x1050 something like that, i then set it down to 1680 x 1050 on the tv, no problem at all worked fine.

i then got my monitor plugged it in and booted the computer and bam crash again all lines on my monitor, now im tottally stuck, i have no idea how to explain this to my suppliers. is there something im doing wrong and my monitor is a 22inch hp and has worked on countless cards.
  2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    try to clean the contact area and make sure you seat it right and tight. or try other slot
  3. tonkin97 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea ive tried that, im just wondering if i need to flash the bios or the card. the only thing i can find is a 6970 update and i aint doing that.

i dont think its a connection issue its either software or hardware, ive just tried different drivers and that did not work. like i said im totally confussed, but it seems when i put the card under some strain it does it aswell, i think the card is just well f^&^ed
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately I think you're right.
  5. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    thats kinda weird tho as it works at that one rez on your TV but not on your PC monitor i would think if it was the card woulden't it do that on that rez on any monitor or TV
  6. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    did you oc it? and by how much
  7. tonkin97 New Member

Thanks Received:
    did not overclock it, fresh out of the box, when i installed drivers and went to my native settings it died, im using it now, even if i change settings in ccc it kills it, weird in my experiance a card normally dies in all settings besides basic
  8. tonkin97 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the card works fine, my monitor does not like 6950 gpus, me and whole tech team where scratching our heads. the monitor was bricking my system, we dont know how its possible lol
  9. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    possibly just the cable rather than the monitor, quite odd tho