1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6950 Upgrade from 6870 upgrade worth it???

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by 20mmrain, Jan 17, 2011.

1. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I have been considering this. The Information I have been able to gather so far is that it is an upgrade but performance wise not very much of one.

Although It also seems that the 6950's Scale better and are allot smoother feeling the their 6870 counter parts.

So is it worth the up grade. I have been considering this since I heard the 1 Gb cards were coming. Not to say that I would purchase the 1Gb option.... It just makes the 6870's more useless when the 6950 1Gb's release.

Anyone do this and verify to me that is not that big of an upgrade..... or can someone who has done this let me know that it is. Either way just something I have been considering. Not asking if it is a good idea....Just want to know how much difference there is really to make up my mind myself.

Thanks.

2. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    You've got 2xHD6870. I dont see the point in wasting money and getting 2xHD6870, unless you're a total goner who doesnt have the slightest idea that HD6990 is gonna luaunch very soon.

No offense

3. blazen95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you have 2x 6870, no just stick to them, there's no poing in changing those 2.
    by the way does it worth a card for physix with those two card ? does it make a diference ?

4. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Rather just sell both and get a GTX 580. The framerate will be a just little lower, but a whole lot smoother.

Oh...and after HD6990, launches he won't be "wasting money" to get it? Your argument just boomeranged.

5. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    one, currently most powerfull single gpu card |FOR THE WIN| :rockout:

6. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    +1, beastier single GPU ftw imo.

7. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I am not worried about the waisting money part. I am just wondering and looking at playing with newer tech. But if you are talking in terms of performance and saying it is not worth it that way..... that is a good reason then.

For most games not really..... it doesn't make much difference with most games. The biggest times it makes a difference is when playing Nvidia PhysX games and when benching it helps out. You see I am a person who can't stand it when I don't have every thing set to high and enabled in a game..... Even if that means PhysX too. Also I like the higher benches as well.

So if you are like me in those aspects... it is totally worth it. But if you are not really bothered by those reasons..... Then No it's not.

I have thought about that route too.... I hear they are some awesome cards. Possibly pick up one to play with and then another in a couple of months when the pricing drops. I have also heard when overclocked you can nearly match the speeds of two 6870's (@stock speeds) with one GTX 580. Is that true???

If it is you got another option there for me thanx!

Like I said guys just looking for something new to play with for awhile that's all :) But there is something on saying you have two cards in your system..... it gives that extra inch on your virtual pen15! So still anyone made this jump from 6870 setup to a 6950 or 6970 setup? Even single cards???? How do they compare???