1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6970 and second monitor, not working!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by JJJackson, Jul 17, 2011.

1. JJJackson New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm new here so bare with me. I HAVE searched the forum but NOT found an answer to my problem.

Before I had a Sapphire HD 5850 and had connected TH2GO and a second monitor to the card and everything worked just fine. Yesterday I bought a Sapphire HD 6970 and connected my monitors to the card exactly as I had them to the 5850 (TH2GO to the top DVI output and the second monitor to the bottom one), but..... no second monitor detected and no video signal to the monitor! So I switched the top/bottom connections. Now I had picture on the second monitor but NOT on the TH2GO. On the three monitors connected to TH2GO I got the message about something like "V and H frequency out of range".

ALL 4 monitors are VGA, but I have a DVI cable from the videocard to TH2GO and VGA cables from there to the 3 monitors. To the second monitor I have a DVI-to-VGA cable.

Appreciate ANY hints!!!

Jack
    The Swede in Spain
  2. sy5tem

Thanks Received:
    i tough that the 6970 supported 6 monitor out of the box ..
    all you need is mini DP to dual DVI twice ....
  3. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Did you remove / uninstall the catalyst drivers while your HD5850 was still installed in your PC; before installing your new HD 6970?

nb: if you get a chance please go to User CP and fill in your system spec's, brand names of your hardware and the OS you use

atb

Law-II
  4. JJJackson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Yes I did unistall the 5850 drivers with CCC uninstall function. Installed the 6970 drivers from the DVD AND downloaded the latest driver from ATI, 11-6_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl and updated. Have updated my profile. Thanks for the tip.

Jack
    Law-II says thanks.
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Do not use the TH2G. The 6970 has this same function built into it, but you need to get th proper cables and use the 2 miniDP ports, and then two of the remaining three for the other two monitors, and you should be good to go.
  6. JJJackson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I undertand what you are saying. What cables do I need?

Did I get you right with the outputs, that is I have to install EACH monitor to the card and I will be able to "extend" the desktop (main monitor) over three monitors and have the forth one as a "stand alone"?

I DID test both DVI outputs with only one monitor and I got signal ONLY from the upper one!!! To me it sounds as if the card is malfunctioning, so I will return it and then we'll see.

Thanks a lot!

Jack