1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6970 bios question etc

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by chaotic_uk, Sep 6, 2011.

1. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    in january of this year i purchased a powercolor HD6970 but from getting it i was getting high temps , after i returned it for rma i got it back with no fault found . i then got in touch with powercolor to see what the max safe temp was , the reply i got was try not to let it go above 95c and i could replace the Tim as long as it was the same colour as the stock paste . i replaced it with mx4 which dropped the temps by upto 10c , only problem was it did not last long and i had to redo it . so i set a fan profile up in afterburner and a few weeks ago i decided to buy a second 6970 , managed to get a matching stock 6970 which i was lucky to get it as they sold fast . one thing i did notice with the new powercolor 6970 is it runs a lot cooler than my other powercolor 6970 with the same ref cooler , also noticed the bios was newer so here is my question lol .
    can a bios make a 6970 run cooler with it running the same fan speed as my older card ? , pics below of the 2 in gpu-z

i have also replaced the mx4 with a different TIM and the temps are even better

[​IMG][​IMG]