1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6970 failing and MSI wants to...

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by WhiteNoise, Jun 1, 2012.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Receipt or not they have to prove to you that $205 is market value, they have to find you a HD6970 comparable to the one you sent back to MSI that you can purchase for $205, or a similar performing card for $205. Otherwise, they go for $350 new or ~$275 used, so they have to give you $275 at least.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Was this an MSI R6970 Lightning?

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I actually side with MSI here. Cough up invoices or reciepts for a full refund.

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I've bought a lot of products from MSI and in the rare circumstance that something does stop working, MSI has been amazing with helping me out. I flashed the wrong BIOS to my motherboard a while back (x975 Platinum vs x975 Platinum Power-Up,) and they even sent me a new BIOS chip to try out first and when that didn't work, they sent me a new board within days of receiving it. For any hardware you buy hold on to ALL receipts, invoices, and if it's something small the box. MSI has had one of the best support I've used.

Frick is right, if you want a full refund, you can get the paperwork to prove you bought it retail, sorry. :(

5. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Well I thought about not telling you guys the outcome but in the end I have to sit back and laugh.

Yes MSI offered me a refund of $205. Yes I accepted the refund. And as it turns out my card was not to blame.

Recently I started having the problem again. Now with my single 6970. I was like FUCK me. So I was racking my mind trying to think of what might be wrong as at this point I didn't believe both cards suffered the same failure. Thats when I realized I started having this issue shortly after I bought my new monitor. A 40" Samsung LED LCD. So the next time the issue popped up I pulled the hdmi cable out of the LCD and put it immediately back in. The problem was gone.

So its the cable. A stupid cheap mono price cable was causing my problems and I sold my MSI 6970 to MSI for $205.

It's totally my fault for not checking such a simple thing as the cable. The problem I was experiencing was pretty random and most of the time everything was working fine.

Oh well...thats one expensive lesson. lol

DannibusX says thanks.
  6. repsol23

repsol23

Thanks Received:
    Well that really sucks you lost out! At least you were able to find the root of your issues. I had a similar issue recently with a cheapo hdmi that I had purchased at Walmart. I got the cheapest one and within a few days was having black screens during movie play back. Took it back and bought a decent cord and have not had one single issue.

7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    ...and people say all cables are the same. Bullshit. ;)

8. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Well to be fair a digital cable should be a digital cable. I'm not trying to open that old debate up but my issue is being caused by the cable; poor shielding or something maybe..? Who knows. But my $350 card sold for $205 so someone (MSI) got a good deal. lol

9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Ask to buy it back? :eek:

Yes, I am aware that has a snowballs chance in hell of working :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I think I will move on. TBH all of my games are running as good or BETTER now that I'm not running crossfire; if you can believe that shit...lol

I think my next video card solution will be a top of the line single card instead of dual cards.

11. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Who wouldnt? :nutkick: :laugh: :toast:

12. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Single high powered card usually is the most consistent performer, good decision.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, my 6870s in crossfire aren't half bad. The 1gb of vram is slightly annoying but honestly, that just means I can't run Skyrim at max graphics at 8x AA, I have to settle for 4x, but even then any more will bog down the GPUs, so it's a good balance for the performance of the cards. Oh well. :ohwell:

14. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Aquinus

I am in no way saying CF sucks. When it works it works well. But if games don't support it then; well it doesn't work so great. I've had plenty of issues over the years and I've been running crossfire for a long time (4870 release date).

15. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Just read the whole thread that sucks that it was a cable, but hey your saving money on the power bill now :D

My rule of thumb only by from company's with an "A" in the name :roll:

16. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Brutal! I'm so sorry to read this right now. This post is nearly as bad as the dude who accidentally flashed his HD5970 with an nVidia BIOS back in the day.

I'm not making fun, I feel really bad for you. That's a huge bummer. This is a teachable moment though. Diagnosing the problem isn't as easy as just checking the hardware itself, but all of the cables as well. Next, MSI doesn't have a written warranty, nor do they have card stock to replace a defective unit with a comparable unit.

17. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    This is BS imo. A warranty is not "fair trade value" it is "FULL MARKET PRICE AT PURCHASE" to give you anything less is criminal.. they eiither give u full price, an equal card or the same card.. Less cash is NOT acceptable and I seriously think they are breeching warranty laws.

Cars vs computers have absolutely nothing in common. A warranty is NOT insurance. They have nothing in common and cannot be compared..
    Warranty means. "If your stuff breaks, we will give you the "EXACT" product or the equivalent in exchange.."
    Not something used or degraded in value, that is NOT a waranty, that is dam near fraud.. Hell it is fraud..

Insurance does not do that.. Insurance covers a degraded value over time and blah blah blah.. Apples and oranges..
    If your coffee maker broke and they sent you a used coffe maker for the warranty replacement, would that make sense? No, of course not..lol..

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  18. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Car insurance and warranty also requires you to provide documentation that you legally obtained the product. Video cards are no different. It's not like it is that hard to cough up an invoice if you bought it yourself, many warranties aren't transferrable between owners. If I sell my car, the new owner doesn't get my insurance. :wtf:

19. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    But they do get the vehicle's warranty which is part of the reason why I agree with D007's post above.

I see what CJerny is saying but, too many differences to try to compare a warranty with insuranc

20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You still need to prove that the car is yours.

21. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  22. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Let me provide yet another take on this situation.

Normally when you RMA something back to a vendor they receive it and run tests on the unit. If the unit is good they can return it to the customer or they can advance replace the item by sending the customer a replacement before running the tests.

In this case it seems that they didn't test the card at all. Just accepted it back and offered me the money. If they would have tested the card I'm 100% positive now that they would have notified me that my video card was fine and returned it to me.

I know how RMA's should work because at my job one of the departments I run is the Returns Dept. I handle every single RMA that comes back to my company.

In this case I wished they tested the card and returned it to me but in the end I'm okay with it now. I just have to laugh at myself because I have to accept the blame on this.

I used that money to put towards a new seat for my harley anyways. Money well spent because though MSI rimmed my ass good, my new seat gives me a comfy place to put it.

23. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I can get that.. Full refund needs a receipt.. But comparing the two is still apples and oranges..