1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

7 mm Won't Cut It, Intel Wants 5 mm-Thick Drives for Ultrabooks

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You have got a point there, but that is how it goes I am afraid. You will not be able to bring your entire music collection with you everywhere, but you will still be able to bring a substantial chunk with you, while keeping your external at home etc. SSD capacity will only increase in the future anyway, and I can see 256GB being the standard in a year or two.
  2. OneCool

OneCool

Thanks Received:

^ this
  3. eddman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I never said that. Just corrected him.

They will most probably get to 5 mm 2.5 inch HDDs but, like you said, performance will suffer. SSDs seem like a better choice going forward.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. ptzdunba New Member

Thanks Received:
    question about resource and energy effiency

I wonder whether there is any gain in the above when choosing a smaller, thinner drive vs. a regular (for example 3.5'') one. Obviously there is a direct saving of material and shipping effort for smaller, lighter products. But how about the up-front costs of this down-the-road gain? How much more of resources and energy (X%) have to be expended during development and production of a product that saves Y% resources and energy compared the previous version? Anyone can give a founded opinion? Thanks!
  5. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    :wtf:

External hds are for back up\storage purposes... haven't meet anyone who carries one around like a thumb drive. Honestly surprised by interest in ultra books..... thought the use of the word ultra alone would've been enough to tank it. Customers ultimately want the portability of a tablet with the power of a desktop. Until we get there ... the ultras actually do have a place.
  6. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    I think laptops in general will have a place in some form for as long as people prefer physical keyboards, and for gaming and professional typing it is somewhat going to be better.
    Even if it is merely tablets with physical keyboards that lock onto it like the Asus transformer.
  7. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    This is getting pretty stupid. The thinness race is outpacing battery advancement and die shrinks. Battery life is trending backwards because of this, and for what? So I can slice someone in half with my laptop?
    Shihabyooo, theJesus, acerace and 3 others say thanks.
  8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:

GEEK-FATALITY! FLAWLESS VICTORY!:toast:

Considering the higher end models still overheat and have to get a separate laptop cooler- Dell had it right with the Dell Inspiron 9100/XPS Gen1 Chassis Running P4 EE (Gallatin or Prescott) on 965PE Chipset 2 GB PC 3200 DDR and Radeon 9800 256 (R420)
  9. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    Just remember, nothing else matters as long as you look cool
  10. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    That's the only point I can see in an Ultrabook. A tablet makes sense, a smartphone makes sense, a laptop makes sense, a desktop makes sense, and a server rack makes sense. A tablet / netbook hybrid also makes sense.

But netbooks on their own make sense from a low cost internet browsing only usage viewpoint.

... But an ultrabook?... really? Two pounds difference for something 30-50% faster with longer battery life, which is more durable, and lasts longer.

So aesthetics is the only thing I can think of as to what would drive the sale of one.
  11. blanarahul

blanarahul

Thanks Received:
    leave 5 mm hard drives. i want flash controllers on the cpu die for minimum latency.
    or atleast give us retail 2.5" ocz kilimanjaro ssds!
  12. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Haven't seen an ultrabook with less than 4 hours of battery life, compared to a normal laptop's 2-3 hours.

If anyone thinks an ultrabook is useless/too expensive, then its not for them. Simple as that.
  13. NHKS

NHKS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    de.das.dude says thanks.
  14. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    You must have a missed out on the whole culv thing. 4 hours is terrible. We were at 10 hours+
  15. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    ULVs are not cheap, they are either every expensive, or severely underpowered. No, I didn't mention them because they were essentially the same as ultrabooks, with major differences being having an optical drive, a mechanical hdd and a plain name. But for your run off the mill laptop you will be lucky if you can reach 3hrs on a standard battery.
  16. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    i don't see what's so ultra about ultrabooks anyway, aside from maybe battery life and price being high
  17. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree, in the ultrabook sector SSDs are the way to go.

They are small and light, that is the point of them. If you don't think that is important then they aren't for you. I carry my laptop around with me every day for work, and being as small and as light as possible while still being functional is important to me, so I have an Ultrabook.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  18. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    You allowed mechanical drives in your so-called Ultrabook standard in the first place Intel? Dude, weak.
  19. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Hybrid drives can easily beat SSDs with a poor controller, so obviously they allowed them.