1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

7950 Eyefinity issue Crossfire

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by mrsemi, Feb 16, 2012.

1. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Ok, the cards run fine in crossfire.

I have two display port to DVI adapters.
    I have two dvi cables
    I use one hdmi cable.

So attempt to do one display port to dvi, one hdmi and one dvi connection.

The moment I plug in the dvi with the display port to dvi and hdmi, the one with the display port to dvi turns off or vice versa.

When I try to plug in two display port to dvi connections and an hdmi, one of the display port to dvi turns off.

Bottom line can't get all three monitors to turn on at the same time. Any ideas?

*update*
    Tried with two display port to dvi and a dvi and same issue.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    As far as i knew when using 3 monitors at least one has to be plugged in to a display port using an active display port adapter if not using a display port monitor.

I use 3 DVI monitors and one is using an active display port to DVI adapter.

Are the adapters you are using active or passive?
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
    mrsemi says thanks.
  3. Dolph New Member

Thanks Received:
    I initialled tried to use 2 x dvi + 1 HDMI, you do need at least 1 ACTIVE Displayport to DVI Adapter. Which you have... Try this:

If the monitor/tv you are trying to use, has a VGA Connector, trying using a VGA->DVI Connector (Which every graphics card comes with) and see if that works. Ihave a feeling you need to fill your DVI Ports before you can use your HDMI, although im not certain on this. Also, im not entirely sure you can Eyefinity with your hdmi at all, again, my eyefinity setup is a week old so, before i got my 3rd monitor i had 2 dvi and 1 hdmi, and it wouldn't turn on, i coudl only get 2. As soon as i plugged 2 dvi in, and 1 active display port, bam, auto configed to 3 desktops, i literally didn't configure anything (other than screen positioning)
    mrsemi says thanks.
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like he used a passive DP to DVI Adaptor. they need to be active (powered)
    mrsemi says thanks.
  5. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    +1
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    oh and since crossfire was mentioned, all monitors must be connected to the same card (primary). just throwing that out there, even though it seems unrelated.
    mrsemi says thanks.
  7. Dolph New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can get an active DP -> single link DVI for like 36$. If you want 120hz, pretty sure you need dualink.
  8. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    Or display port. I'm running 120hz on a single dp to mini dp adaptor.

Also, I have an eyefinity setup and yes you need a single dp connection. It has to be 2x dvi and 1x dp. No HDMI at all.
  9. Dolph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh my mistake about the 120hz single link. But i figured that was a problem with his eyefinity.
  10. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    I don't know why but I assumed when I bought this gen card that the hardware that came with it would be enough. I bought two of these.
    ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit G...'
    So apparently I need active display ports? The ones under that link are passive.

Would that be for both display port slots or is one enough, seems only needed one for the 5850s/5870 but that one I have laying around has a different connector type so I've gotta buy one apparently.

Any suggestions on the active? I've gotta get something next dayed in, I miss eyefinity
  11. Dolph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Assuming your from the US.

SAPPHIRE Active Mini Display Port (M) to Single-Li...

that will work for your eyefinity setup. Most of the time you shoudl check to make sure it is AMD Eyefinity verified, but if you read the reviews others use this one for eyefinity. Make sure youh ave 2 -> dvi, 1 -> minidisplay port to dvi. It should work great.

Edit:
    If your from canada, this is what i got.
    http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=98_106&item_id=034891

Dont make the same mistake i did when i ordered my 69502gb, is buy Active Displayport to Singlelink DVI Adapter. NOTE: Those are MINI DISPLAYPORTS, not DISPLAYPORTS. Make sure you get mini, seeing as your cards input is the same as mine. Which is 2x dvi, 2x mini displayport 1x hdmi
    mrsemi says thanks.
  12. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    That's the one I was looking at.

Thing is I have one hdmi, one dvi, and 2 mini display ports. So question now is do I need two active mini display ports or will a

DVI port,
    mini display to dvi
    and active mini display port to dvi do the trick.

I don't really want to spend the extra $30.00 but I will if it's needed obviously
  13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    you can do mini-dp adapter to regular DP-DVI converter x2, + 1 DVI(the one closest to PCB is dual-link).
    mrsemi says thanks.
  14. Dolph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ohh i see my appologies, i thought i saw 2 x DVI. You will need 2 x Active Mini Displayport Adapters + 1 x DVI to run your Eyefinity Setup. Unfortunately. I guess with a powerful card requires powerful set of adapters :(. Getting the single link ones will defiantely work and are almost 1/4 the price of the dualink. So at least you will be saving there abit....
    mrsemi says thanks.
  15. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    I would if my monitors had display ports, unfortunately they've got everything but

Well if it's like my last eyefinity setup it should require one but I'm not sure it is so I just ordered two of those sapphire units you linked. I'll try it with one and try to remember to post back here if someone else goes searching for the same issue.

You'd think with cards that expensive that are really made for multi monitor setups they'd throw at least one in but that's what I get for thinking. :laugh:

Thanks all.
  16. Dolph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Goodluck with the setup! Let us know the result.
  17. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately They don't work either. *Sigh* Same symptoms, the sapphire units look just like the ones that came with the cards. I knew they didn't come with external usb power like my first eyefinity adapter had but people in the reviews said they're working for them as active display ports in the reviews.

Not sure where to go from here. :banghead:
  18. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    If it's any consolation it used to be this hard just getting Crossfire to work! ;)