1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

7970 screwed up !!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by shoti02, Oct 4, 2013.

1. shoti02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello,
    my 7970 was flashed to 7970 ghz. it worked well for 4 month, then the computer won´t boot anymore. i was able to flash the old bios to the card, with another card in slot one. so my question, does anyone know if the manufactor is able to find out, that the card was flashed ?? is there a rom which write it on, so they can see it ?? does anyone had an succesfull rma ??

thanx for any help
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Why was it flashed in the first place??? Most 7970's even reference will hit ghz clocks easy...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. shoti02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ....u know why it was flashed......because i can :)........it worked well ....for 4 month :(
  4. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    Just rma, they cant know you flashed your card.
  5. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Doesnt your card have a bios switch? just switch to the other bios.
  6. shoti02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    already switched....nothing.....flashed old bios.....still nothing...in position 1 and 2 it is dead EOL :)
  7. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Did you test the pc with a different card because bios flashes shouldn't fail over time
  8. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    because you are a foooll... andd youu ddiiidd..... without.... looking.... at the consequences.... like the ........ fool..... youu...... are.

they can easily find out. and they can deny warranty if they want.
  9. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    It's dual BIOS, it's that way for a reason - the 2nd bios should be fine. Unless the OP has flashed both BIOS's with warranty breaking ones.

And they can definitely tell if it has been flashed.

There is of course the possibility that your chip wasn't suitable for Ghz speeds (especially if you OC'd it past those), as unlikely as that may be. In which case - your chip may have died altogether.
  10. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    your card is definitely dead.... oh by the way which card you have???

there is a chance they will find out about bios flashing....

Try RMA, if they reject, well atleast you have a reason to get 290x lol....
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    OP welcome to TPU sorry there are some right ass hats on here these days ,proper smarmy ego'y idiotic nob's , are you sure you tried to flash it back right firstly, including a forced flash with an original bios.

but as someone has said bios don't themselves fail over time but they can take hardware to break point over time, in this case try an Rma if you cant read it they likely would not try beyond your efforts to get any life out of it so wont know.
  12. Disruptor4

Thanks Received:
    I have the same problem except mine was a BIOS update that failed immediately. Tried booting, no display detected so won't go to POST etc. Had to unplug the power to the card for it to actually boot the computer. Moved dvi cable to onboard graphics so that I can at least use my PC.
    The switch on the GPU to change to the 2nd BIOS broke. I literally just touched it (was thinking about it before actually trying to push) and it fell off. NFI where it went in my case.
    I'm going to try an RMA and hopefully all goes well as I don't think there is a point in me trying to re-flash the BIOS....
  13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Even though you just learned why you shouldn't, you still say this^?

Bottom line, there's not enough reward to justify the risk. Four months is nothing. Expensive experiment.
  14. mrwizard200

Thanks Received:
    how would they even know if the card has a illegitimate bios?

To me it seems like a easy exchange assuming he doesnt say anything.
  15. shoti02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it´s definetly the card.....with another card all works....but the bios is still alive...i had flashed it....so it seems that the core ist dead....btw...many answers had nothing to do wizth my question..i had not asked if i´am a fool or something......
  16. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Then RMA that bitch. If the switch doesn't work and you're sure you've flashed the old one back it's dead. Unless someone else can come up with something.

And you sort of are a fool if you flashed because you can. We get some people coming here with bricked cards because they flashed for the wrong reasons, and with the wrong files. So we're quick on the conclusion that people are fools.
  17. oinkypig

oinkypig

Thanks Received:
    With power draw Any contact to the x-fire bridging the two cards will likely have fried the weaker card. Hence reference 7970<7970ghz. shoulda gone 7970ghz. now RMA.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  18. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    RMA, most likely they'll send you a new card before they realise you've flashed it. Unless you've got physical damage you'll be A-OK
  19. da20valve

Thanks Received:
    You will be fine if the card is re-flashed back to stock, I doubt the flash really had anything to do with it, I doubt it would of lasted 4 months if it was, just RMA it and play dumb, they wont check and if they do they will see the original bios is on there.
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I believe he said his switch fell off.

In the end all he got to say is that it stopped working so he shutdown his system and tied use the switch.

I guess he will find out by trying lol..
  21. shoti02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok guys i will rma it on monday....but i have also another question. please tell me ur thoughts......i have an amd phenom x2 1100T@4251 ....do u think the cpu is a bottleneck ?? i saw the specs for battlefield 4 and they are huge !!
  22. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Depending on the game it might be a bottleneck yes. BF4 I have no idea about.
  23. shoti02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    specs: [​IMG]
  24. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Force flash the bios back on both of the dual bios slots and then RMA it? atiflash.exe -f -p 0 (whateverbiosnameyouhadfortheoriginal).rom You can flip the switch and flash it without rebooting IIRC. So if you can boot on one bios, switch it with it booted and flash. If you can't get any vga out then blind flash it with the above command or insert another video card into slot one and change command to atiflash.exe -f -p 1. The 1 indicates the second slot the vga is in, 0 is slot 1, do not force flash your other video card or your really gonna be fucked.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  25. shoti02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yepp it is already flashed ....the bios Displays me that the bios was changed...after flashing atiflash shows what it was before and after...i ´am not flashing the first time :).....